Intel Compute Stick Reaches Retail

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Intel Compute Stick, a new pocket-sized computer based on a quad-core Intel Atom processor running Windows 8.1 with Bing, is available now through Intel Authorized Dealers for much of the world. ...

Intel Compute Stick ReacheS Retail

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm still impressed with how much they got into that confined space. Yet, it's not all that handy, since again you need a screen (with HDMI) all the time, as well as a power socket.

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    and a keyboard and mouse.

some reviews says it not worth it.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    no the USB power the flie, and with any modern phone you have your input device (with wifi or bt).

i always like those kind of stuff.

of course don't expect to run FC4 at 100fps in 4K... :)

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hehe of course, for got that one. The only advantage of this pen pc over a cheap Raspberry Pi 2 platform is that it comes with wlan, and has Windows 8.1 on it already(Pi is said to get 10 as the devs are cooperating with M$).

Well the product page still says it needs a power outlet wall socket and an adapter like a charging device because of it's need of 2A current. Most USB ports (even those with special charging qualities) don't support 2A, merely 0.5 or 1 with the average USB port, or am I wrong there?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Modern mobile phone chargers can bring 2A, just have an eye on it when you buy one :)

Actually win10 on the RPi will probably without a GUI and not run most Apps, so it can't be compared (at the moment) with this Win 8.1 stick.
    So for me this stick looks really nice as a media device to extend the TVs capabilities (like Netflix, Web browsing (with flash), Xbox video player, ...).

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can get that on battery pack, it is powered via USB port, so you get USB hub with additional plug.
    There are stand alone light thin portable monitors (lenovo / acer / ...) which has USB for power and video, some can use HDMI while powered via USB.

Their plan to power this fully via HDMI in future is OK, but I would rather go for DP and have someone to make that display. But still it would be step back.
    Because now, you can power it via USB, have it running and plug screen when you need it. This thing has low enough power consumption to live on battery for long time.

I can imagine even smaller and more power efficient version in advance RC models. and you just plug monitor to change programming of flight sequence.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If all you need is something cheap for browsing the internet and checking e-mail, there's nothing wrong with it.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah, I didn't know those 2A chargers are that common, wasn't aware of it :) My bad then.

What would I need win10 on the Pi for then if it's not really running Windows? This may sound like a stupid question, but what does it offer? Drivers?

10. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Fairly nice review here: http://anandtech.com/show/9167/intel-compute-stick-review
    What I miss to know, did they get any frame drops with 1080p60hz or not, the line was very close to the 85% mark, which would mean framedrops.

It offers a development platform, or maybe to start a single app when turning it on, like a kiosk mode, sensor station, webcam station, ...
    You can develop with Windows development tools for it.

11. pralay

pralay Guest

GPU:
    8GB RAM
    Modern mobile phone chargers can bring 2A, just have an eye on it when you buy one

Actually win10 on the RPi will probably without a GUI and not run most Apps, so it can't be compared (at the moment) with this Win 8.1 stick.
    So for me this stick looks really nice as a media device to extend the TVs capabilities

12. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Actually it is not that cheap i have already bought a 100$ (with 23% tax) tablet with Windows 8.1 and quad core atom cpu, and that also includes: 16GB ROM, 1GB RAM, charger, usb cable, 2 cameras, battery, 8 inch ips screen with glass, speakers, 3G modem. Plus for about 10 dollars i got a bt mouse, otg cable, 5-pack aaa rechargeable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    And that was the normal retail price for the current Intel CPU?

14. omnivore

omnivore Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Perfect for those tight spaces.

I think some people tend to overlook the versatility a machine like this proposes in different situations. I imagine these being particularly useful in lower income areas/families/programs. I also see these used as a lightweight client for schools and libraries.
    Sure you could get a tablet that will do the same. but then you're carrying a ten 8-13 inch machine around with you instead of one that could potentially fit in a wallet.
    I have a MK802 that I use for travel. The MK802 doesn't compare in the slightest as it's just an android device with minimal hardward. But I have found it to come in very handy in many different scenarios. I use it as a mobile blockbuster/redbox/streamingbox.
    My account got immediately banned for spam by putting up a link to a MeeGoPad to show that you could get the same device (with the same hardware) that could also dual boot android. Not real sure as to why. Anyway. It looks nice. I'd love to get one once I do more traveling.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I have really changed my outlook on Intel as of last year, they are not only holding up the high-end market but also the mid-range, enyty level and now everything else in between! I got my 1st Intel cpu G3258, looks like Amd is in for some hard times! I dont know what the hell they are waiting for?

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I like it.

When it goes for $100 I'll be buying one.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wish the Ubuntu model would have 32GB. Only having 8GB is going to be very restrictive.

18. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    That's why it offers a micro sd slot where you can add another 64gb (maybe even 128+gb?) storage to it. Simply put your media files and whatever on that card and mount it into a useful directory.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I find it laughable how these are being reviewed. They don't seem the least bit interested in the "user experience" itself, but rather the performance. Have these reviewers used any of the Windows tablets? Sorry, but these small form factors suck for performance compared to a desktop PC or even a laptop. Most people don't buy a tablet for computing power. They buy for portability. People aren't going to buy these "compute sticks" for their computing power either. It's going to be for the small footprint. These things can be hidden behind, quite literally, any display with an HDMI input. For the "average user" these days, it comes with most everything that's needed in regards to software. It has an OS, a web browser and an antivirus (although a rather crap one). Pair it with a small media center remote/keyboard AIO device and you're ready to go. The reviewers dumb enough to benchmark these little devices have completely lost touch with reality. People aren't going to be running Folding@Home on it. They're not going to be attempting to run BF4, SoM, AC:Unity, etc. They're going to be browsing the web, checking e-mail and streaming media.

MicroSD slot doesn't help with OS updates and upgrades. It doesn't really help with installing software either.