Windows 10 Build 10061 Live

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 now available

[​IMG]

Hi everyone,

Today we are releasing a new Technical Preview build for PCs – 10061. This build will be available to the Fast ring, and will be delivered via Windows Update. You can wait for your PCs normal installation time for Windows Updates and it will install automatically, or you can go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Updates and click the “Check for updates” button.

Source:
    blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/22/windows-10-technical-preview-build-10061-now-available/

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Made ISO from ESD if you want to perform a fresh install

en_windows_10_pro_10061_x64_dvd.iso
    Code:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!9k52VSRS!SDDmIK2Gd7WihFPjGHsDepIVLSwzni26w_suSXr3bHg
    Same public key as always
    Code:
    NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

3. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Pretty stable for me so far. The new Music and Video apps are shaping up to be vast improvements over their 8 versions. A long ways to go before they tempt me to drop other third party players that I use, but all the same nice to see some improvement.

I'm still waiting/hoping for the start menu to add some sorting options for the app list though. I like sorting by category, not alphabetical.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I did the update from 10049 through WU. Everything went fine and everything seems to be working

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope they remove the headings for each category at least in alphabetical order ... seems like a waste of space. It's probably my biggest irritant lol.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    is it me or my ignorance,but when open Youtube in a Spartan tab,and switch to another,music just shuts down until i come back to the tab who has it?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Here are some known issues for this build

• When you minimize an app playing audio, it may stop playing once its minimized.

Link with info in OP

8. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Installed it using the windows update thingy. Prefering iso's tho.

Issues so far:
    Every MS redist version seems to be uninstalled or not working.
    DirectX games don't seem to work either. (error about d3d9.dll and something from nvidia)
    Weird mix of the 349.90 drivers with 350.12 drivers.
    Not sure about OpenGL games due MS redist stuff wasn't working even after reinstalling them.
    Taskbar went to "hide mode" for a few seconds when minimizing the start menu again.
    Running a program by pressing right click on it and choose "Run as administrator" results in the program not launching at all.

That's all I've tested before going back to 10049 as those issues are not acceptable to work with.

Things I tried to fix those issues:
    Fresh installation of the Nvidia drivers 350.12. Had to restart about 3 times to get them working.
    Reinstalling DirectX runtime.
    Reinstalling all MS redist stuff.

Result:
    Didn't help at all.

I hope most of my issues can be fixed with a clean installation using an iso...Might try that somewhen.

EDIT: Yupp, clean / cleanish installation using the given iso above fixes all issues. (Keep personal files only, litte hint. Programs outside the default folder don't get deinstalled, only their registery entries will be removed. That's why I've put everything I need into an "universal" folder).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    None of those issues here. Games work fine and nothing got uninstalled. I did the update from 10049. I'm AMD all the way though.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @Sildur, Microsoft still can't do upgrades properly. Stick with ISO's if you want to save time and frustration.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Had stayed away from preview builds as I did not want to waste time on excess tinkering with a temporary OS. But on a moronic whim, I DL'd 10061 and did a fresh install. I see they're forcing users to sign in with MS accounts, no local acct option like Win 8. Also enabling OneDrive by default to automatically upload all your stuff.

Booted to desktop and no sound. Tried to use the search box in taskbar but said you have to enable Coratana for it to work :3eyes:. Went to CP > Device manager and it showed my SBz card as installed and supposedly working. Looked for windows updates but it was not in CP. They moved it to settings. Tried to choose update settings to see what I could download, but only option there was automatically install updates or restart automatically when done. No option to see what is downloading or what items to choose, it just began automatically DL'ing whatever was there. Seeing the very slow progress, I just shut down my PC and rebooted back into 8. WTF? I do not like things taken out of my control. Have they hidden the settings or is it really going to be auto update everything whether I need it or not, ie, older NV drivers, etc?

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im signed into 10061 with a local account on my tablet and VMWare

But yea, I really hate what they are doing with things like WU, even right clicking > screen resolution doesn't take you to the resolution page any more, you have to click on advanced settings after that to change the rez (EDIT I see they have renamed it to display settings)

IMHO, Windows is dead, 7 was the last real version, 8.1 with some additions can be almost a real version, 10 has killed it dead, RIP Windows

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Desktop only Windows is dead, but it has to be as we don't live in a desktop only age anymore.

Planning on installing this tonight, would the transition from an untouched 8.1 be an easy one, and is stable enough as a main OS yet?

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

On a desktop PC we live in a desktop age

I find it very unstable, miles away from being 3 months from RTM stable, no idea how they are going to pull this off, Im seeing another Vista/Win 8 RTM mess

I`ll give that a shot with 10061, I have my doubts MS will restore classic to RTM though, they are porting everything classic to that Metro crap

EDIT - Doesn't seem to do anything with 10061

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah doesnt work in 10061. They took out that option in gpedit.msc.as well as from registry. Tried to create the reg key/value and it did bring up the old WU applet, but still missing the options needed. As for now, wiped 10 off my drive. Will see how final build works out.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They're hoping it would take off with IoT. Windows powered thrash cans ...

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I'm finding 10061 updated from 10049 to be very stable and working fine. I do have a few complaints though.

I don't like that the taskbar is black and the only way to change it is not that easy. Right clicking the desktop and choosing Personalize gives you all the options for changing colors but they're broken and don't do anything. You have to go through the Settings app and there you only find preset colors that are not customizeable.

They claim that their Start Menu is resizeable. It isn't in the way one would expect. There is a two headed arrow in the upper right corner but you can not use it to drag the menu to a size you want. You just click it and the menu goes full screen. Those are the options, default size or full screen. This is not acceptable but then I use Classic Shell.

Even Classic Shell is broken in 10061 in that if you choose to show the Metro apps in the menu, they don't show up. There is text that says Apps but clicking on it does nothing. Even the Apps folder in All Programs does not open. I reported this to Classic Shell and they confirmed that it is broken in 10061 but they won't fix anything until a closer to release build of Win 10 is offered.

I'm confident these issues will be fixed.

For those complaining about Windows Update, it is now a part of the Settings app and is very easy to get used to with all options present and working.

Even though there are parts of Win 10 I will not use like Cortana and Task View, I think it's shaping up very nicely. Windows is far from dead.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Start menu can be resized, put your mouse to the edge until it turns to a 2 way arrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]