Should i be worried, need help please, R9 290 memory

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by VISAWYER, Apr 14, 2015.

1. VISAWYER

VISAWYER Guest

GPU:
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    Hey everyone.

I recently bought a new comp will post specs in a second. i spent a fair bit of money on it and im the kind of pc noob that would probley get paranoid at normal things which im probley not use to. My concerns are with with fan noise going up and watching my CCC temp GPU and memory clock levels waiting fot it to almost explore xD.

Processor: AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Processor

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Harddrive: 2TB SATA Hard Drive

Harddrive: 128GB Solid State Hard Drive

Graphics: Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5

these are my specs. I have some questions i hope anymore can answer as it will put my mind at rest

For gpu temp idle is 29c - 32c ok?

when browsing youtube it can go up to 40C, is ok?

skyrim game gets to about 50C (high gfx)

what are reasonable and okay temps?

I put my power settings as never sleep, on recommended(i search 'power' in start menu)

my gpu clock is 300mhz idle

memory clock 150mhz idle both ok?

my memory clock randomly pops up to 1250mhz, is ok?

should i use any overcloking settings ect?

ive noticed webpages sometimes crash and skyrim too, is related to anything memory clock wise?

i mainly want to use my comp for,modern gameing, music production, video editing for youtube, web browsing.

im sorry if ive not given enough info im super new to all this and trying my best to learn.

Thanks

Vi

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I though the thread was about some memory problem on your 290 but i don't see anything related on your post.

Your temps seem ok to me.

Browser use to have crashes specially Internet Explorer try a good browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Skyrim works fine for me, maybe you need some game updates.

I guess your worries have no base in relation to your GPU.

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    everything is fine for the gpu, regarding website crashes those may be related to the flashplayer plugin crashing

the temps are actually quite low and the card can easily handle 90-95c+ so 50 is ok, skyrim is not really demanding especially without mods installed for it

if you have steam download the 3dmark firestrike benchmark demo and run that, you will see its all perfectly fine

for overclocking well it is not essential but can help in situations where the card may be lacking, which right now your card should be good for 99% of today's games :) in the future then yeah maybe you will need to overclock, people here only really overclock because they want to not need to :)

you can download msi afterburner application to control fan speeds and also set custom clocks for example for web browsing on my msi 280 i use 500 core and 700 mem which seems to keep firefox nice and smooth, at idle it would stutter now and again

4. VISAWYER

VISAWYER Guest

GPU:
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    thanks for reply. reading this settles me alot.

What about my memory clock randomly jumping to 1250mhz? i think on my CCC thats the limit its set at, should i worry about this?

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is normal powerplay in action.

you can lock clocks at highest settings for 2D and 3D and avoid the throlling not a big problem.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Internet Explorer has been the most stable browser for GPU acceleration. Firefox, on the other hand, has been the most unstable up until the switch to the Chromium source code.

7. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Those temperatures are way below what would be considered unsafe. Like passus said, don't worry about temps till you get to 90+.

With skyrim (or any game for that matter), maybe you could check the CCC driver version. If the computer was made by someone that didn't care much, they probably just threw on the drivers that came with the GPU (which will be old). Always best to have the latest (15.4 beta).

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Not from my own experience in my computer using more than a few tabs (10), tab freezes, tab crashes and whole IE freeze with lost session on restart.

Firefox has his issues with flash but it never made me a lost session due to a crash and i use it with 100-200 tabs.

Internet Explorer is so good MS drop it and now it's developing Spartan in W10. :)

This is a normal behaviour for MS: a MS PR said they stop to sell kinect for PC due to an excesive demand for their low stock! :D

It's NOT a joke.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    IE development has not stopped. Spartan is being developed alongside IE. That was the official announcement from MS.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Really?

Maybe it will have some security patches but no new development.

it will be no more than a compatibility mode loaded in spartan for legacy support in older web pages..

............................................................................

Spartan provides compatibility with the millions of existing enterprise web sites designed for Internet Explorer. To achieve this, Spartan loads the IE11 engine for legacy enterprise web sites when needed, while using the new rendering engine for modern web sites. This approach provides both a strong compatibility guarantee for legacy enterprise web sites and a forward looking interoperable web standards promise

......................................................................................

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...and-the-windows-10-january-preview-build.aspx

11. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Everything seems fine to me, flash has really bad coding inside it especially using firefox, be sure to clean your registry with CC cleaner for optimal flash and firefox performance(usually does it for me)

12. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    Flash is bad, but not that bad if your pc is proper, I need to use flash daily for more then 12 hrs per day, not a single crash for IE and and chrome ( except with know bug, such as driver problem).

memory timing and bios setting play a large part of stability, a wrong setting can give you lot of crashing. for example without correct cpu clock gen filter setting memtest86 will fail for me after 24~48hrs.