Far Cry 4 - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by litwicki22, Apr 12, 2015.

1. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Hello. I went from 344.75 WHQL to newest drivers 347.88 WHQL and now i have random driver crashing in Far Cry 4. Nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Application stopped. Then i saw on events: Nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Its very random .
    Its problem with driver or my its just my card? ( i am using stock Asus Strix 980 ). All other games runs without even single crash. I tested Unigine Heaven for 10 hours, without crash. I tested Metro Last Light for few hours without crash too.

Using 344.75 WHQL all was fine.

All my pc is stock, cpu is 4790k stock. GPU is on stock too.

From what i know,crashing display driver Nvlddmkm its always graphic card ( hardware ) failure? Rma graphic card?
    TDR's are always happening because of "bad/broken" hardware?Or it can be software too?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  2. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Far Cry 4 was running fine for me last night (350.05).
    First try DDU to uninstall current drivers and install the latest driver 350.05, if that doesn't work maybe the Strix is factory OC'd and that factory OC is unstable (I don't know if it is and can't be bothered to look)?
    If it is factory OC'd try dropping clocks on memory/core by 50mhz~ in afterburner or something and see if it keeps doing it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Try the 350.05 no issues at all.

4. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Got this problem since patch 1.8. It has been said that this is what is causing it. Since new driver update its been finer though.

5. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

I cant find 350 on geforce, there are WHQL?

6. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
  7. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Ok thx i am downloading they now.
    But i have a question about that TDRs on 347.88.

TDR's are always happening because of "bad/broken" hardware?Or it can be software\driver fault too?

8. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    The fact that it says "hot fix driver" would indicate that its no WHQL.

9. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If the driver doesn't fix it, try increasing the vcore on the GPU. It's not impossible that this has uncovered some instability in your card at stock volts.

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It only happens to me if my OC becomes unstable because some drivers push the card more than others, just lowering the OC or raising the voltage fixes it. It used to always happen with my 580 Matrix even when it was running at the factory OC.

11. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

On 344.75 WHQL i dont get any driver crash. Only on 347.88 WHQL i have random driver nvlddmkm crashes on Far Cry 4. Is this related to game\software or just stock OC of my card is not stable fully?
    I am asking because from what i know TDR's are always happening because of "bad/broken" hardware. Or i am wrong?

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
  13. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I was playing that, and it was flickering a lot until I played like 10 minutes then it went away. It's weird, ubisoft will probably never fix it anyway.

14. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Listen.
    Somebody say:"Another popular thing is when nVidia optimizes the driver, and it pushes the card even harder and reveals a card crash, then people blame the driver, when the new driver is simply revealing a problem with the card."
    So i have propablly card issue when on 347.88 i have driver crashing only on Far Cry 4? Because driver pushes the card harder and is simply revealing a problem with card. It can be true?

15. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    It's not really revealing a problem with the card, it's more like a hardware/software conflict. A combination of game, driver and oc simply having issues working together.. it's nothing new.

For example: on 347.88 I have to lower my oc from 1307mhz down to 1280 to be stable in FC3 only, FC4 will run all day without issue. I go back to 344.75 with 1307 oc and FC3 runs perfect.

Factory overclocked cards can have just as many issues as manually clocked cards. There's no shame in lowering your factory oc and testing to see if it is the cause of the crash.

16. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

17. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Nvlddmkm Display driver stopped responding and has recovered is always related to no stable oc? Or it can be just issue in drivers\game?

18. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    oc not stable, bad power supply, crap drivers, loose memory and gfx card(try re-seating ram and card).

19. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

Also yesterday I installed 350 HOTFIX. Far Cry 4 played 24 hours without driver crash. So on 347.88 my card is just unstable? Is this because driver 347.88 pushing my card harder and card is unstable? Or its was only driver issue?
    I am thinking why my card seems not stable on 347.88 WHQL. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  20. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    None, install new driver now and stop worrying. Just stop please, it was just a crash. Play a while and check temps,nothing more.