Should i download windows 10"?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by overlordmike, Apr 11, 2015.

1. overlordmike

overlordmike Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    hello i am a gamer at heart and ive read some good reviews regarding win 10 and gaming.

i am just curious at this point how stable it is atm. and if i should install it on my main pc.

anyone here have any issues with certain programs?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't think Windows 10 in it's current state has anything extra to offer for gaming over 8.1 - no DX12 games out yet

Still plenty of bugs too, personally I wouldn't use it as my main OS, I'd suggest dualbooting with your current OS first to test it before fully committing

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As a primary OS for "day-to-day" use, I'd recommend against it. It's still quite buggy. There's actually no benefit to Win10 over Win7 or 8.1. We're still seeing driver issues. There are some issues with the current Win10 installer.

4. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Don't bet on seeing the fps you have on 7/8.1 in 10TP (in Dx9-11).

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    No, don't count on them being the same but they very likely may be 10-15% better in DX 11 games. They have been for me. Maybe because I have an AMD CPU and the changes in Win 10 are helping it as was expected. Look for the performance gap between Intel and AMD to narrow when 10 is officially released.

Having said that, I also would not recommend using 10 as the main OS . It is still a work in progress and has numerous bugs. 8.1 is the best choice right now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    been doing it for a while now.....really cant disagree with anyone's recommendation to be honest as some games like bf4 can be less then perfectly stable as apposed to just staying with win 7/8...but i will say some games/apps have no issues what so ever but it seems to change with versions and driver releases so who knows what will be trying to make work next week

7. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Love Win 7 64 on my desktop. Win 8.1? Great on my HTC M8 Smartphone, but WOW! Windows 8.1 really sucks on Desktop. I'm a big Microsoft fan because I prefer to use my brain, unlike Mac fan boys but if Gates can not pull out a better OP with Windows 10 then I'm sticking with 7.

8. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    Sorry to disagree... with that big contradiction...
    But Win 8.1 does at least everything equal or better than Win 7,
    and we didn't need to use a lot our brain, to achieve that.

9. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Contradiction you say? Just because Win 8.1 is best suited for smartphone, Tablets & touch screen devices, but is useless for Gaming - performance workstation PC is not contradictory... It's just simple fact. If MS was thinking smart they would have offered a nice revision to Windows 7 & also the 8.1 OP system as a separate choice. Only thing I like about 8.1 is that is boots faster, although that issue is solved in Win 7 With high end hardware and a nice SSD.

You must be an application fan. No need for them on desktop or Laptop.
    Like I said... Lets hope Gates does better with Win 10. No contradiction in these things.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Personally I agree with the route Microsoft took with Windows 8, simplify everything. Unify everything as well, I see no problems with that.

And everyone loves applications. Microsoft has always loved applications as well(registry is a big give away to this claim).

11. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100

Sorry again, but that "fact" only in "your world"...
    because.. and that is a proved fact, Windows 8.1 is since its appearance and at the moment the best OS for gaming... probably until Windows 10 arrive.

...and is not for Gates you should pray for... that's obsolete... you should "upgrade" that too :) it's for Mr. Satya Nadella.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    8.1 is very good for desktop users, It's better in almost every respect than 7. You just have to either get used to the default UI or install something like Classic Shell and have a Win 7 UI.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Wow. Have you even used Windows 8.1 (not 8 rt). Windows 8.1 that runs on your desktop will not run on a smartphone.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    From the brief time I have spent with Windows 10 so far, I have to say it feels better than Windows 8 already. One thing I wanted to know is if you can resize the start menu? I deleted everything from it, but that just leaves an oversized box.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5057614&postcount=20

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  17. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    No way. The route they took was all wrong. Fact is most people could care less about applications... At least with all the PC Enthusiast that I know. I can get all the apps I need on my HTC One M8 WP8.1. To have them plastered all over my PC screen is a pain in the Bleep, Beep, Bleep.

Stupid vertical 8.1 redundant task bar is beyond annoying. How is it you can actually like that?:stewpid:

Face it dude, 8.1 for Custom PC blows and even you know it. Lets not even talk about "The Cloud." Who in the world has any care at all for cloud? Hello... It's called an external SSD hard drive connected to USB 3.0. THATS YOUR CLOUD YOU BONE HEAD!!

That's like saying, "Dude Office 2013 is so much better than 2010 version." OMG! no way! Office 2013? It Bleeps my Balls hard core. 2007 & 2010 were perfect. Stupid Note One crap always causing problems. Who wants or would even like that? Only an Idiot would want that Note One integration. Are you serious?

Dude, your in serious denial... All I can say is MS better get back to what counts with Win 10 or else Mac dorks are going to eat MS alive.

Millions of Chinese workers with no liberties are counting on Gates to screw up Win 10... "Oh Yef Me Friend, Yo Wanta Appa Mac is Goo for you and Me got mercury Poison on assembly line from young american boy who want da appa mac me build for him. papa san make 1 American dollar a day. Ha Ha! stupid American! We own you soon and Gates going down."

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Applications..... You are aware that every piece of software installed on your computer is technically an "application", correct? Apps, is simply short for "application" and the shortened term did not magically appear with the iPhone. It's been used in shorthand for more than a decade.

As for the direction MS is going. It IS the proper direction. It's the direction that the entire industry is going, whether you like it or not. Even Linux is going that direction. Just ask Canonical. MS has to conform to what the majority of their customers want, not just what the elitists want.

19. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I agree... Sad times for the PC enthusiast. I suppose that's what happens given we have sold our soul to cheap Chinese Labor and manufacturing. As for applications... Very true, but they can be obtained without Win 8.1 garbage plastering them on our PC desktop. If your in denial of that then I must in polite say your ignorant.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Neither "App" nor "Application" refer specifically to the crap, wannabe programs running on smartphones which are mostly useless. We were calling programs, "applications" back in the 80's. We started calling them "apps" back in the mid-late 90's. The origin of both terms, literally, have almost nothing to do with smartphones or "MetroUI". They were in use long before smartphones even existed.

Sad times? For OS design, this is the best time to be alive. On 1 PC, I dualboot Win8.1 and Win10TP. On another PC, I dualboot Win8.1 and OpenSuSE w/ GNOME3. Hell, I even have a Lumia 635 (waiting for the 640 to launch cuz my 635 is dieing). The only thing left for me to get excited about these days is Canonical finally finding a partner to launch a dockable Ubuntu phone. Once that happens, I may move entirely to mobile. I love the direction the industry is heading, as do most real tech enthusiasts. The tech industry, as a whole, cares very little about "PC enthusiasts" because they want to hold an entire industry back while the rest of the world wants to see it move forward as fast as possible. The tech industry, as a whole, is finally starting to cater to the rest of the world.