Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Would you like to be part of the Guru3D SSD test slash focus group ? Over the years we a have tested a lot of not all products from OCZ Technology. Problem is their rep got a dented with some Sandforc...

People interested can reply in this thread, forum regulars only. You need to be a longtime forum member, otherwise there is little chance you will be selected.

Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Update:

I can announce that the following users have been selected for the OCZ SSD Test Panel:

Darkest, Neo Cyrus, Noisiv, Solfaur, southamptonfc, eclap, Elder III, iancook221188, Major Melchett, Steppzor

You will notice that I have selected 10 persons. I have been able to bump up the number of participants after talking with OCZ about the popularity / number of people that have been interested.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm definitely interested in giving this a shot.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have one of those Vertex 3s that have a bad reputation. It's my main OS drive. I chose it because I had $100 credit with a certain store and that was the best they had available at the time (according to performance reviews) within whatever price range I was looking at. I forget how long I've had it but it was a good while before Vertex 4s were released.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I would be interested but my time on the computer is quickly qoing to zero ! So ... have fun testing quys !

4. Brutalix

Brutalix Guest

GPU:
    1070 Nvidia
    I am using a Vertex 3(240) in my main computer as os disk and samsung 840 as a storage partition. So far after 3 years running, no problem with the vertex.

I would love to test the new ocz drive.

Main use of the computer is gaming and medical imaging. (FSL and Freesurfer).

Kind regards
    Brut.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This sounds interesting. I always wondered how the sandforce controller evolved, my first SSD was a Vertex 2ex back in the day, which died on me shortly after two years of service :D

And I could technically put it into my next gaming rig, bein X99. BUT to be fair, I might not be the perfect test candidate, since I don't know WHEN I will get that rig together, still waiting on some parts...

I think this is a nice move on OCZ's side, and HH for organizing such a test program!

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'd be more than happy to help, just in my first ever 2 months of owning an SSD (V300 240GB) on the forum every day and have written already a Terabyte to it according to SSD-Life

[​IMG]

7. neliz

neliz Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X GAMING 4G
    Sure am Interested. My 256GB Plextor M6 is getting rather small with stuff like BF4, GTA V.. and even LoL already taking 10GB. Had the Original Vertex but sadly can't use it because of compatibility issues with Intel's Z87 and Z97 chipsets :(

8. AcidIce

AcidIce New Member

GPU:
    Galax EXOC Black GTX 970
    I would like to test. I know I am not that active on the forums much, but I do recon I have the experience. I am a hardware / software tester / evaluator for the Education department in South Africa and has been doing evaluations of hardware and software for over 10 years.

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i have been using a kingston 120gb v300 for nearly a year

i would love to be part of something here i know 102 posts is a small chance but if you dont ask you dont get

i am also on this website 10 - 20 times a day reading things, i have actually done that for years its just i never registerd before :)

[​IMG]

10. R0H1T

R0H1T Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 750Ti
    I'd love to get one of these for my AMD laptop that I use on a regular basis, though I wonder if win8.1 x64 & 16GB of RAM gives me an entry pass considering I don't meet the min 50 posts criterion for recommendation :bang:

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can give it nice kick. But honestly I have Vertex 4 for very long time and it Is good considering it is only 128GB version.
    My z68a-gd80(g3) has 2x SATAIII ports (one used).
    My SSD-z reports:
    Powered on Hours: 12,206h ~ 508d 14h
    Power Cycles: 1,472
    TRIM: Enabled
    SMART Says: Remaining Life Time: 96%
    I have it as main OS drive + few games: Payday2, Path of Exile, ...

I am in planning for new disk for Win10 beta installation. If I am to be picked, expect this OS (not fine tuned one) to be used so I may not be best sample if already released OSes are in focus.

Edit: And HH, you can just ask us to give you same info on drives we already own, many of us are willing to give this information even without you sending us drives.
    I'll post later today saved benches from time Vertex4 got fixed FW, there were 2 releases over time which improved performance a lot.

Old Kingston V100+
    Old FW which caused random data corruption:
    [​IMG]
    New FW which was OK:
    [​IMG]
    Vertex 4 - 128GB
    Original FW - intel SATA2 controller:
    [​IMG]
    Original FW - Marvel SATA3 controller:
    [​IMG]
    Original FW - intel SATA3 controller:
    [​IMG]
    New 1.5.0 FW - intel SATA3 controller - no iRST:
    [​IMG]
    New 1.5.0 FW - intel SATA3 controller - with iRST:
    [​IMG]
    New 1.5.1 FW - intel SATA3 controller - with iRST (tested today):
    [​IMG]
    As can be seen, while FW update improved read/rewrite performance, write speed degraded due to high use even with TRIM available.
    Issued TRIM today manually after bench on last image and tested 30minutes later to no change (not sure if iRST is not blocking it as older version did).

Format would improve write, but I do not need write speed :)

12. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I would love to give it ago, more than happy to help.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Neat program, but I seriously doubt my SSD will last anywhere remotely close to what it estimates:
    [​IMG]

Also, it's pretty weird that it lists the space in SI units rather than binary. Looking it I'm amazed I've managed to get by on it by putting anything with reasonable load times on my other drives. :wanker:

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm more than happy to help Hilbert, if you deem me worthy :). I'm currently running a 120GB SSD for OS (Windows 8.1 Pro) and 1-2 games, I could swap it with this OCZ SSD or use the OCZ for my Steam/Origin library and or/downloads folder, since those have probably the most disk usage, but I'm up for whatever combination that is most useful for this long-term survey.

I'll be connecting it to SATA 3 controller on my MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Would love to test and report SSD performance across various usages, i'm in!

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ive had a Vertex 4 on the similar controller for about 3 years now. Would be happy to give something new a go for the name of development and testing.

17. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I'd definitely be interested and willing to partake in this testing.

Always wondered about the quality and performance of these OCZ drives, but I've never had a chance to run them.

18. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    i would like to help you test this SSD.

i can offer the following test environments:
    - my main rig (Z97), which runs 24/7 and really is never turned off. the SSD would be used for downloads, virtual machines and selected games. this platform will probably be replaced by the skylake platform, once it's out.
    - my notebook (HM76) which is being used daily for a few hours. the SSD would be used as an OS drive and for virtual machines.
    - an office PC (A88X) which is being used nearly daily for a few hours. the SSD would be used as an OS drive and for selected games.
    - my HTPC (H87) which runs only every few days, mainly on weekends. the SSD would be used as an OS drive only.

you could select what environment you want.

-andy-

19. jpoly007

jpoly007 Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black
    I would like to join the test. I currently own a OCZ vertex 2, vertex 4 and a Samsung EVO 840. I have a number of PC's used for gaming and video encoding. I am also a professional micro electronics quality and test engineer.

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I would be up for this. I have the correct type of PC, used daily and the diligence to do the necessary reporting!