Non 2.4GHz Cordless house phone

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Extraordinary, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anyone know where I can buy a cordless house phone that is not on the 2.4GHz frequency? (In the UK)

The missus' mother/brothers house has huge internet issues, one of which is whenever the house phone is used, the WiFi disconnects

I've been over there and replaced their router, changed the channel, moved things as far away from each other as possible, changed filters etc etc, and the only thing left to do is switch the 2.4GHz cordless phone to a different freq phone

They've been down to places like Argos who apparently are as much help as a potato when asking about things like that

There is another confusing part to the WiFi issue, when her brother is using his Android tablet, and she powers hers up, once hers connects to WiFi, his disconnects

IP conflict I thought, but I've made sure everything on that network has a unique IP

The reason I replaced their router was because this was happening before with the crappy ISP router, and it worked for a while, but apparently now has started doing it again (Not been back up to check yet)

Anyhoo, the phone is the main issue atm as she lives with me and is only over there on a weekend, but the mother is always on the phone and the brother is always getting disconnected

If we can't find a non 2.4 phone, she'll have to go the wired route, but I thought I'd try find her a cordless one first

Switching the router to 5GHz is not an option as everything they own is 2.4GHz only

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I honestly haven't seen 2.4ghz phones in years. You guys don't have DECT 6.0 phones over there?

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have no idea, I`ll have a look thanks, my house phone is just a wired thing that we only plug in now and then, otherwise it's ringing all day from cold callers and PPI cr4p

We just use mobiles, so Ive never had to investigate different types of house phones before

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Here's a nice selection of DECT phones on Amazon...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Analogue-DECT-Phones/b?ie=UTF8&node=356488011

There's still plenty of 2.4ghz cordless phone options on the market. They suck compared to the DECT 6.0 phones, but they're still available.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, what do DECT phones use instead of 2.4GHz?

EDIT - Turns out they're already using a DECT phone, this one:

BT 1000 Cordless DECT Phone

So why would that cut the WiFi?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It shouldn't. DECT phones don't operate on the 2.4ghz band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications