USB cable connection for 2 PCs; driver question

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by XenonS, Mar 29, 2015.

1. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Hello,
    years ago I have bought a USB cable connection for 2 PCs also containing a software with a driver. The driver & software must be installed on the 2 PCs, after that the USB cables are plugged in on both computers, you open the file management software and there you go for transfering files.
    The product is called:

Vivanco PC-linq

The problem:
    this product is old from 2002, probably suited for Windows XP and even lower. I have now Windows 7 64 Bit and I cannot install the driver, if I point to the CD, Windows says there is no driver (it's probably a 32 bit driver).
    Is there any solution to install the driver and/or make Windows 7 recognize it?
    This cable system was rather handy and so I don't have to install a network.

Thanks very much for any feedback and your help !
    XenonS

Edit:
    I was not successful in finding any newer driver for this product by googling the net.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    In the meantime, I have installed the software (and the driver) in VMWare with Windows XP Pro.
    Here it's fine, but the connection is nil because the other computer has Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, and it doesn't read the connection.

XenonS

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Install VMWare with XP on the other PC too?

4. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Extraordinary,
    thanks, yes of course this should work, but it's a somwhat complicated solution. I now have found another cable amongst my things, not a bridged cable, but one that looks like a ASDL connection on both sides, I used it years ago for connecting 2 XP machines.

My reluctance of building up a network is because I'm afraid to make non-wanted access possible by setting it up badly in Win7.
    I didn't find out yet how to setup a LAN in Win7, the network options don't even speak about LAN, and also does this exclude external access?

I must go this route or I must buy another bridged cable (from APC etc.).

XenonS

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just make a network and set it to private, much easier and faster data transfers

Outside (Internet) access across a home / private network is the same as access to the machine the internet is connected to, none unless you purposely set up a public share

Internet can not access a home network under normal circumstances

I have a good few machines all connected across LAN or WiFi on the same home network, they can all talk to each other, but no-one outside of my home/private network can access any of them

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  7. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Alas, still no go for me:

After plugging the cable on both machines (Win7 Pro, Win7 Home), A Local Area Connection is displayed in the Network Overview as "No Identified Network, Public Network".
    In Explorer > Network, the window remains blank.
    The Network Troubleshooter says: "LAN doesn't have a valid IP", so I click on the LAN in the Network Overview, go to Properties and un-check TCP/IPv6, also I make sure that in TCP/IPv4 both IP and DNS are set to auto.
    Same dance on both computers, still the same warning in the Troubleshooter, still a blank window in Explorer > Network.

I remember it was a lot easier in Win XP: connect cable, make some basic settings, go to Common Files... :)

I still most appreciate any help!
    Greets,
    XenonS

>>EDIT<<
    The problem is that the cable is recognized as "No Identified Network, Public Network" which I cannot change to Private. If I could do that, then I could setup a Home Network.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Finally I have solved the problem by googling for good documentations about how to set up a LAN with a simple Ethernet cable. Also I was now able to set the Network to Private. Seems like that Win7 will ask me this every time when I plug in the cable, but I can live with that :)
    What I had to do is to MANUALLY assign 2 different IPs on both computer under TCP/IPv4.

Again, thanks for your help and tips,
    XenonS

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015