Did I Fry My 290?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wrathloki, Mar 27, 2015.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I was playing Cities Skylines with the SSAA mod on at 200% and after a while I started noticing artifacting so I looked at the temperature and it was at 93. I quickly turned the game off. Seems weird that it would go so high, I can only get it to 75 using furmark which uses 100%. Do you think I fried the card?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    More info!

Clocks? Did you overclock?

What model of 290 is this? Stock AMD? Aftermarket factory-overclocked?

If you were just playing a game and the 290 died, you are not to blame. You did not fry the card. It fried itself. It is unless you had crazy overclocks but forgot to cool it and feed it voltage properly.

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    XFX Double D overclocked to 1110/1460. Like I said, never even got it above 80 even furmarking it before. Have run plenty of games at 200% SSAA with 0 issues as well.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    VRM1 128C !!!

See this is why I choose to trust AMD over their partners.
    Even if their stock cooler is barely able to cope with 99% load. I can deal with that, and most importantly:
    THERE ARE NO SURPRISES!

And wtf XFX, I thought they finally fixed DD. Not only they didn't, but they managed to screw PCB design too.
    My ref.290 VRM's run at cca. half of that temperature.

6. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well I thought DD is there too, and PCS.
    DD is clearly off the list

One of the reasons it took them so long, and why there are only few good models out there:
    Apparently, designing a proper 300W cooling solution for 400mm2 die is not so straightforward as one might think

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    The PCS+ apparently cools well but that is because it has a really aggressive fan profile and therefore is loud (Neo here had one but had problems with throttle).

Sorry to take this thread off topic from the OP's question, but its disheartening when you spend your hard earned cash on something that doesn't give you satisfactory results. Imagine if you bought the Windforce 290X expecting it to run at 1040 on the core when its struggling to break 900? RMA right there if you ask me.

OP, do try everything at stock and let us know what the results are, maybe an image of the problem will help also.

10. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Start with everything at stock. Perhaps install that latest drivers so you are on a clean slate. If you get no problems then bring your overclock back in, but do it progressively. Increase your clocks but keep an eye on your temps to ensure they aren't getting high. Personally 80 would be a no go for me, but they are rated for 95 so its up to you.

In regards to artifacts, it could be your memory is clocked too high? Or not enough voltage. Again bringing it back down to stock should clear this up. If your card is damaged, you will notice the problems are still present even when running your 2D clocks on your Desktop (lines on your Wallpaper etc). The XFX cards have a life time warranty if I recall so if it is failing you can always get a new one.

11. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    SSAA does task the GPU to its limits and furmark only really pushes the card if you set the powerlimit slider in CCC to +50 and then it gets smokin hot

my vapor X @ 1155/1655 Mhz @ +181 mv never goes above 84C and Vrms are ~70C just for reference.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Bloody VRM is running at 128C!!
    I bet they have like 30% return rates, and it's not an issue only because they sold only a handful.

What you should do?

Play games, run GPU-Z and pay attention to VRMs/GPU temps
    Then find a good combination of GPU clocks, voltage and fan profile too keep temps in check.

And don't even bother with memory OC, or any OC for that matter, until you put a check to temps (GPU,VRMs).

CLean your GPU/PC if you're seeing sudden temp rise.

13. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    If your confident enough, re-paste the GPU maybe. No doubt it will have cheap paste and lots of it plastered on like a toothbrush.

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Is there some way they can detect that I've overclocked it? Or will they be clueless if I send it in and say I didnt?

That's the thing, I never had any temp problems with anything until I ran this SSAA mod with this game. Overclock was good with temps until then.

15. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    All this temperature BS is making me want to go with a G1 GTX 980. All the power without the hassle. AMD needs to step it up with the 390 if they want to keep business.

16. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I think that most manufacturers cover overclocking now, otherwise they wouldn't put on such hefty cooling. As long as the card isn't physically damaged via malicious methods I am sure it will be fine for a return.

Granted, the 290 series do run hot and use more power, but its the Board Partners that are putting on coolers that simply are not adequate. As Noisiv said, designing a cooler to tame these beasts is not easy. The ASUS ROG Matrix Platinum is known to be a poor overclocker and performer, purely because the Cooler that is on it is not up to scratch. And that is a "Top Tier" card. It pays just to do a bit of research into the cards first. When did you purchase the card? Was it on a good offer at the time or were you an early adopter of the 290s?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah the 290s run hot but that alone is all AMD. The GTX 970 and 980 use way less power which naturally is going to mean less heat. This is what I was referring to when I said AMD needs to step up their game.

Early adopter, this was one of the first aftermarket cooled 290s and the price was good so I pulled the trigger. My fault I suppose for not being more patient.

18. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    well just put an arctic accelero or a watercooler on it an enjoy cool gaming if just heat is the problem.

19. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    This is why I bought the Sapphire 209X Vapor X Trixx. I can confirmed in closed case (Corsair Carbide 840 Air) it never exceeded 77°C after hours of hard gaming:nerd:.

P.S. VRM Temps never exceeded 67°C.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I wanted to get one but they were in short supply when I was looking and thus very expensive.