Computers do really strange stuff sometimes...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Slam, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    All I did, was simply change the heat sink out on my cpu, and now I've magically lost 200mhz on oc capability.

I guess I shouldn't have "disturbed" my pc. It was happy where it was.

2. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I added a GTX780 to my old ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 once and magically lost 1GHz on my OC, 3.6GHz down to stock 2.66GHz as it wouldn't run stable with the GTX780 or with the GTX460 it replaced, never was able to get it back to 3.6GHz again so bought a new system :(

It's on my desk at work now with the original 460, CPU, RAM and PSU. Bought a new case for it and added an SSD and now use it as general purpose PC for anyone in our office, tried many a time to get the OC back, even have the OC Profile saved in the BIOS but still won't work? Still don't know why adding a 780 would kill the OC?

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    ^ kinda of the opposite happened to me. I couldn't get my i7 920 to OC past 3.2GHz with my old 4870x2 GPU. I upgraded to a GTX480 and retried for my overclock with the same settings and bios and magically got 3.5GHz fully 6hr stable in prime95 smallfft!?? Maybe GPU driver related?

I upgraded my 920 C0 (it wasnt the D0 revision) to an i7 960 (D0 this time) and got 3.6GHz perfectly stable with only 1.29 vcore 1.325v QPI/VTT 1.65 RAM and that thing would never crash no matter what I put it through and temps under a thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler were amazing.

Though could I get it past 3.6GHz... NO, nothing would work at all on that chip past that speed.

Upgraded my GPU to a HD7970 and got 4.2GHz at 1.32 vcore!??? Like really!!? I tried everything before hand including this voltage and higher and it wasn't stable at all crashed after just ten minutes of prime or OCCT.

I am sure it was GPU driver related or something like that.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Might have to do with power / voltage management on the mb side. Maybe that's why they try to sell us overclocker boards with increased power phases and such gadgets *shrugs*
    But yeah, computers can do strange unforseen things... uncanny things... and at times, I was fairly sure my PC lives and hates me :D

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Temperature plays a big part in OCing ability

6. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    yeah...but that's not the problem here. Temps are the same as they have always been.

I simply changed the heat sink out...didn't touch my settings. Then it immediately went into a post loop when I started it up. Reset bios to default, and the system came right up. Applied my OC profile, and again, went into post loop. Started lowering my OC, and got it stable.

I know running a hex core at 4.4ghz, instead of 4.6ghz, isn't going to make much of a difference. But just knowing that I had a higher OC, and now not able to do it, is really frustrating. lol

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I agree, it shouldn't have looped by just swapping out the heatsink, only thing I can think is that you've disturbed the CPU itself pulling off the old heatsink, sometimes the thermal paste hardens enough to pull the CPU right out of it's socket

Maybe remove the heatsink again, remove the CPU, reinstall them both

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    2 days ago, I turn off my pc like normal. Turn it back on later that, and bam.
    My entire 2TB backup drive is corrupted. Been running recovery and and scanning for the past 13 hours.
    Somehow the partition got corrupted.
    I had a similar problem with my 640gb happen when I redid windows. But that was with a different X58 board.

Thankfully I didnt lose all of the data. Looks like about 95% is recovered.

I just put a 8 year old ThermalTake Dual Orb II on my FX 8120 rig.
    I couldnt OC past 3.2ghz without being unstable with a 4 pipe 92mm cooler.
    Now its at 4.6 with a $15 cooler I bought in 2007.

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Must be one hell of a cooler. Which one was it?

10. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Well...I got my 4.6ghz back. All I did was by a new mobo. LOL!

I decided what the heck, and got a ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition ROG. You get what you pay for. It's definitely nicer than my old Asrock board. And all of you peeps on here being enthusiasts, you know you like to buy something new to mess with.

Vcore is a little higher than I want it to be. But a hex core on air at 4.6ghz, getting idle temps below at that voltage, and banging around the mid 60's while gaming...it's not so bad.

[​IMG]

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Nice one Slam, not a bad overclock, very similar to mine...

I'm also running an overclock of 4.6Ghz on my 2600K @ 1.350V...

My temps are slightly lower than yours but this depends on casing, cooling, etc...

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    PC's can do very odd things...like my first 840EVO taking nearly 45 seconds to cold boot Win7. I started the OS fresh on the SSD and I was expecting awesome speed. It never happened no matter what I tried. I just decided to deal with it.

That was back in August of 2014. Fast forward to December 25th of 2014 and I got a new NZXT Source 530 chassis. Took everything out of my old case and moved it to the new one. SAME EXACT CABLES. SAME EXACT HARDWARE. NOTHING CHANGED EXCEPT THE CASE!!!

Boot times are now 14 seconds on cold boot and 6 seconds on full shutdown. It totally blew me away when I first started up in the new case, so much so that I quite literally jumped up and down in my lab coat and gloves! It still works perfectly to this day and I continue to thank my lucky stars.

In other news, still waiting on that recently promised 840EVO fix from Samsung.....

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, the Maximus boards have a true quality feeling to them.

14. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Thanks bud!

Gotta keep in mind I'm running a 6 core proc. Temps I think would normally be higher, especially since I'm running a higher vcore, on top of 2 extra cores.

15. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I know, dude. It's frustrating as hell when stuff like this happens.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well you know how they say "There is a ghost in the machine".

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe, yeah... the ghost in the shell. ;)

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I tried to OC my 3570K past 4.0... No go, 3 days of tinkering down to tertiary timings on RAM and NOTHING. Went on a trip for 2 days and the PC was compiling in the meantime, came back and decided to attempt it one more time. Guess what, 4,3 now :')

Had something similar happen to my homemade NAS. Salvaged an older HP board (gen6) and popped in two X5670 (2,93GHz six core) with 96GB of RAM. Half of my RAM wasn't found including my array :S After leaving it for a couple of days (with power!) it suddenly worked, I still don't understand it :bang: