Salvageable 580?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by k1z, Mar 7, 2015.

1. k1z

k1z Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gtx 980 SOC
    More out of curiousity since I've already got a new one, but I wonder if my old 580 can be sort of...salvaged?
    Literally the day I ordered the 980 I use now, my old 580 went sad or something. I got BSODS every time I booted.
    Safe mode, uninstalled graphics drivers, worked fine. Tried a few older versions of drivers, BSOD every time. Tried my ancient 260 (the 980 hadn't arrived yet) and it worked fine.
    I didn't pursue the issue further at the time since I had the 980 ordered already, but now I'm building a second PC from spare parts and I'm also curious what might have went wrong with that card, was it just old age ? It was a POV stock model that had served me well since 2010, I only ran lowish overclocks on it.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You can try reflowing the solder with an oven, but that's always temporary. If you have proper reflowing equipment you can fix them permanently, but I'm guessing you do not.

3. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Oven baked for a bit of new life. I don't know how to do this but I've seen threads on it here before so others will be better at guiding you. Since it's just a spare PC there's nothing to lose if it still doesn't work.

4. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    You can do a decent job reflowing solder in a conventional oven. May last a week, but could last a year or more. I've certainly had cards last a long time after a basic solder reflow. Of course, if you have access to a proper solder oven, that would be preferable.