Connecting a Desktop PC to a Server

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jhetski, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    Hi, good day everyone. We are actually setting up a server in our workplace. However, as per our corporate policy, we would need a dedicated desktop pc as a console to connect to that server. Our setup as follows:

1. The server is connected in an Active Directory domain, with corporate policies in effect.
    2. Dedicated desktop console is not connected to the network but directly connected to the server.
    3. The server uses Windows 2008 R2. We need the desktop console to connect to the server (the only way we can connect to the server is through that desktop pc, for security purposes.)

I have tried searching Google but it points to RDS, or remote desktop services. As far as I remember, you can only use MSTSC if the desktop pc is connected to the network. However, as stated above, the desktop pc is directly connected to the server. How do we do it? Do we still need to use MSTSC to access the server? Please take note that no other third-party applications must be used because of policy.

Any help is greatly appreciated, much thanks.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    What does this mean exactly? How is it connected?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    You'll need two NIC's on the server, one connected to the network and one connected to the desktop via a crossover cable.

With the direct connection, you'll need to setup the IP's manually as there's no DHCP server to do it for you.

5. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    The server has 4 ports (i think), and the IP is set as static. Now, with that crossover cable, do I access it via MSTSC?

I was wondering if I would just configure the desktop computer to join the same domain but I doubt the contract allows us to do anything on that desktop pc the server came in with.

Thanks for the idea :)

6. zadmin

zadmin Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760 4GB
    Network

Technically a 'network' is a connection between 2 or more computers.
    You have a network capable of RDS/Remote Desktop, VNC - whatever your flavor.
    Simply set a static IP on the NIC connected to the console (as mentioned above), make sure the IP on the console is on the same net as the server. After that you should be able to use Remote Desktop/VNC.

Unless I am mistaking what you are trying to accomplish. In our test lab we ran VMware ESXi that housed our servers then connected via any computer that had the client software installed.

7. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    I think we are going plan B, joining the desktop computer to same AD network as the server and just activate RDS, no more cross cables. BUT, we need to set that the only computer who can access this server is the dedicated desktop.

Our primary concern is security, if anyone is getting confused why I intend to directly connect the desktop to the server. Actually, both computers are enclosed in a small room and only the authorized person is allowed to access the desktop to connect to the server. No person in the domain shall be able to remote connect to our server, simply put.

Thanks for the input everyone.