Wierd Fullscreen video issue

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BlooHook, Mar 1, 2015.

1. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Hello all. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue as I've been dealing with it for months with no luck.

When playing a video in Windows Media Player, shortly after putting it in fullscreen the video freeze frames but the sound keeps going, I can even skip through the video though it will not update.
    Shortly after, UI then turns into white boxes and becomes unresponsive. Upon exiting fullscreen, my taskbar looks like this...
    [​IMG]

The only way to get the taskbar to corporate again is to kill explorer.exe and start it agian.

VLC Media Player crashes, Plex (In boderless window) also freezes similar to Media Player. Only video player that doesn't cause this issue is MPC.

This issue also happens in games that run in borderless windowed mode as well. Strangely enough, I don't have any problems with fullscreen browser videos (Youtube/Vimeo) or Windows 8 apps like Netflix or Hulu.

I'll list all of the things I've tried below.

- Tried individual GTX 680s in each PCIe slot
    - Tried GTX 650 in each PCIe slot
    - Reinstalled Windows
    - Bought new SSD and reinstalled Windows again
    - RMA'd two of my GTX 680s
    - RMA'd my RAM
    - Tried older video card drivers
    - Disabled all graphical windows features
    - Overclocked my system
    - Underclocked my system
    - Updated BIOS
    - Downgraded BIOS
    - Used work monitor
    - Changed HDMI / DVI cables

At this point I have no idea what else to try. I've opened up a ticket with ASUS thinking that it might be my motherboard but so far all tests they've asked me to run have passed with no issues... Hopefully someone here has had this issue cause I have no idea... :bang:

2. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Wow, that should just be codecs. Install K-Lite Codec Pack.

3. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Forgot to add that to the list.. Also tried the Community Codec pack with no luck.

I can also confirm now that it doesn't seem to be an OS issue as after I posted this, I installed a clean copy of the Windows 10 preview and am having the same problem with it as well.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be player uses videocard resources (through DX or CUDA) in wrong way. Have you tried to change "full screen in exclusive mode"-like setting?

Edit: Did you install DirectX redistributable?

Edit2: Can it be the combination of started applications???

Edit3: At current stage Win10 is rather equal to Win8, imo.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

5. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Okay, so I tried to install the DirectX Redistributable and it told me a newer version was already installed.

I disabled all startup programs and that still didn't work.

As for Exclusive Fullscreen, I didn't see an option for that in Media Player, but in the games that I run that have the option, they run fine. It's just the games that don't run in exclusive borderless that give me problems.

I'm going to try and run things in safe mode and see what happens.

6. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    A clean install of VLC 2.2.0 with no codecs installed doesn't solve the problem? I can't see this as a motherboard problem. Can't you just use MPC? It's a very good player, I just like VLC more.

You can change the output mode in VLC, Edit -> Preferences -> Video -> Output. Try the different methods to see if one of them works.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But what about games? OP says that games crush as well.

8. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I don't run games in borderless windowed mode, can't help with that.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So may be all troubles are in certain DX mode...

Btw, have you tried to reset all game profiles to default values? I mean what if profiles are corrupted?..

Edit: Also I see that you have not tried DDU - http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  10. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI

I haven't tried that due to the fact that this is a fresh install of windows with a fresh install of the drivers. But I'll give it a shot.

I've also got my old motherboard so I'll try that and see if I have the same problem

11. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Okay, I think I might've found the issue...

EVGA Precision

After being baffled by this issue for the last couple of months. I decided to switch to Windows 10 just to see if I fared any better. Windows 10 wasn't any help so I decided to restore my Windows 8 installation from an image I made of my drives back in March.

Upon doing so, I noticed that none of the problems I was having manifested themselves. So I took this as an opportunity to pick through my drivers / software with a fine toothed comb.

EVGA Precision looks to be the culprit, as when that service is running, the issue comes back. After I uninstalled it and got rid of all traces, I was able to watch a few movies with no problem.

I haven't checked the game functionality yet as it was late when I figured it out. But once I get home from work I'll try it out and report back.