Let the smoke out...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Jacastto, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I posted here. Hope this is the right place to be posting.

I recently brought an upgrade for my PC, including a Gigabyte H81M-S2H, Intel i5 4460 and an 8Gb G.Skill 1600mhz RAM stick.

I had it all ready to go, CPU, RAM and my Palit GTX 750 plugged in, and as soon as I plugged my PSU (Corsair VX550w, about 4 years old) into the mobo, it started smoking. I hadn't even pressed the power button yet...

Is this a faulty motherboard? Was my PSU incompatible somehow? Or could there have been something else I messed up? This was my first time installing a new motherboard.

Other relevant parts: dvd burner, Kingston 120gb SSD, WD 750gb 7200rpm HDD.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What started smoking, the PSU or the motherboard?

If it was the PSU, it's most definitely likely to be faulty. Wouldn't it be older than 4 years?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Disconnect PSU from motherboard, pull it out of case and plug in - if it starts to smoke then it is damaged definitely.

4. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    it was definitely the motherboard smoking. couldnt tell which part of the motherboard though.

Ive done the paperclip test on the psu and it still works. i just find it strange that it smoked before I even tried to turn it on.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nothing strange here. If PSU is plugged in then motherboard is powered. Probably there is short-circuit in your motherboard.

6. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Hmm ok. In that case was it a faulty motherboard (such that I can claim warranty)? Or did I mess up something in the wiring or compatibility? I am pretty sure I got those things right, but maybe there's a common rookie mistake I missed?

Thanks again, just don't want to try and claim warranty unjustly.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Let them decide. Either they will find your fault or they won`t. It is impossible to answer such question remotely.