I hate the Asus xonar u7!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IhatebeingAcop, Feb 28, 2015.

1. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    The software that comes with it sucks. DTS4 is crapola. I am thinking of switching to the soundblaster x7. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have the beyerdynamix mmx 300's. I am actually a bit disappointed with them. I probably should have went for a set of headphones that were in that price range without the attached mic. Could have had way better sound quality (600ohm set) and just bought a decent mic to hook up. So now I kinda want to sell the whole set, headphones and Asus xonar u7. Maybe a combo for like 300. Then pop for the soundblaster and a NICER pair of headphones.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Impedance doesn't really dictate quality, it just means you need to consider your purchases a little more when matching gear. You're right though, you could have went for very nice set of headphones and slapped on a mod-mic or something. Depending on what you expect and want from your headphones, I start looking at some dedicated external gear from respected audio companies. The only real reason to stick with Creative or Asus is if you specifically need some of the software they offer, you'll generally get better bang for your buck looking elsewhere otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Yeah I made a mistake. Should have researched more. I had the idea that they were charging way more for the mic to be simply attached. I wanted a all in one solution. Now that I have it, I am considering getting rid of it and going for nicer cans.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you can give us a budget and explain what you use your headphones for, and what sort of sound signature you enjoy -- I'm sure we can give you a hand.

5. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    My budget is a additional 600 dollars or so pending on the sale of my below headphones. I am going to sell the Beyers and the Asus xonar U7 as a bundle on ebay. Hopefully I can get 300 for the two together. If that's the case I will pop for the below. I was disappointed in the sound quality over all from the beyers. It sounded slightly sharper/crisp then my old cheap turtle beach gaming headphones with attached mic. I had to mess with the DTS4 equalizer to try and get the most bass I could from these things and still, under whelming would be not demeaning enough. I would definitely like some deeper base. I primarily use them for gaming and movies. I don't like a tinny sound and prefer to have some nice surround in my headphones. I like when horror or FPS games really have some directional sense.

I plan on selling my six month old beyers for 300 on ebay. If I can get this then I am going to pop for these--

Shure SHR1540 and the Soundblaster x7. At least that's what I am thinkinng. Your advice is welcome.

Thanks Darkest for the help.

6. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  8. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Why not the 600 ohm? That seems to be what the majority have. Not sure what external DAC/amp I want to go with.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I really do not base purchases based on ohms. I think you would need better amplification with 600ohm cans vs lower ohm cans. If I understand what I am reading on the net. I am a newbie in audio compared to my experience to other components.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    600 ohm premium aren't as tight as the 250 ohm pro, clamping wise. Any decent amp will drive both just fine. There's a couple of gurus who have experience with 600 ohm premiums. Maybe they can help. Nothing wrong with the 250 pros, though. Maybe look into Sennheiser HD 600/650 and AKG Q701 and Philips Fidelio X1/2 as well. Take it from there.

11. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I'll check in to it. Do you guys think that my cheap Asus xonar U7 is the problem driving my beyer mmx 300's? Perhaps it would be best for me to invest in a new DAC/AMP and see how my Beyers sound. Then if I am still not satisfied look into what you guys have suggested so far?

Best
    Adam

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300.html

MMX300's are 32ohms

13. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    See I am not even sure what that means. I checked in to it and people are telling me that higher ohms don't necessarily mean you need a stronger amp. I am very confusing.

14. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    If you want great sound stay away with gamer gear and gamer headphones.
    To the mx300, its a dt770 with mic and 32 ohm so its ok i quess.

Take a Magni² and Modi² from schiit, stick your mic in the mainboard and you are happy with your mx300.

15. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Well gotta scratch this itch. Popped for the DT990 PRO 600 OHM. Magni 2 Uber and the Modi 2 Uber. I've been looking at these for a while along with the DT990. I like my Beyers, just disappointed with the price point and peformance. I knew PRIOR to getting them that I was paying for a attached mic and a lower quality headphone. I thought I would be okay with that for convenience sake. Now I want better and I am going to have it. I'll keep you posted on my review. I'll likely sell the xonar and the MMx 300 as a pair for pretty cheap. I bought them new and they are approx 6-8 months old, if even that old.

Best
    Adam