4K Curved or Flatscreen

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Valken, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Just wanted to get some feedback as I had stumble onto a quick test drive of some sweet 4K QHD TVs a few days ago. Saw LG, Sony and Samsung's newest models from 50", 55", 58", 60" and 65" in size.

So I used a very rough every 10" = 1 Ft distance to gauge the quality vs view distance which is about accurate to still be able to see the benefits vs FullHD and not creep up too close to the screen.

For example, looked at the 50" screen beyond 6 FT away (eyeballs to panel) I could barely tell if it was sharper than a 1080p but at 5 FT away, could really pick out the details based on my eyesight.

Among the 55" and 60" there were also both curved and flatscreens so I did some side by side viewing when possible.

For those who own or have test driven these screens, even at a lower resolution, did you notice or thought:

- the curved screens looked smaller (because it wrapped around)
    - had to get a little closer since the overall linear width was shorter to pick out the same level of details as the flat screen
    - and lastly, thought the curved screen actually had more of a 3D feel in terms of depth?

I had noticed this mainly between the larger screens.

If I step 2 feet further back, I could tell the flat screen looks a tad bigger, almost by 3-5". But when I was situated within the sweet spot, the curved screens makes the buildings and details pop out more.

It may be placebo but I wanted to hear your experiences.

There is no way I could afford any of those screens yet - Flat 60" was almost 5K USD, while curved was 1500 USD MORE here. I would wait for it to drop or step down to a smaller screen.

Still need a GPU setup to push 4K at up to 120-200 Hz (yeh right) so MAYBE this coming Christmas or next spring would be a realistic time frame for my TV upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I too would like to know thoughts on 4K Curved vs Flatscreens

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    you might need to keep waiting, hdmi on those 4ktvs cant handle 60fps at 4k res, displayport can but only Panasonic has a tv with DP input, also 120hz+ seems like a dream not yet in existence for 4k screens

4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Some of the screens claim greater than 60 hz at 4K such as Sony and Samsung, but thats due to their internal GPU interpolating the 60 Hz signal.

I think you are correct that the physical hardware is still not at raw 120 hz input yet.

But if you guys have a chance, checkout those crazy QHD demos on both flat and curved. The curved screen side by side looked more 3D to me than the flatscreen which was the biggest surprise. This is without any 3D glasses whatsoever! It felt more "immersive" while watching those grand canyon, nature and forest flybys.

Shares your thoughts.

5. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Saw curved screen several times, and yes, I think they are more immersive compared to flat screens, especially when the image is moving/panning.

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Personally I don't like curved screens, it throws of the geometry of things.

The sense of curved screens drawing you into the picture pretty much only works if you sit center of screen. We kind of went from the old tube TVs that bubbled out and gave you that feeling of the picture pushing out at you to new curved screen TVs curving in and giving you that drawing in feeling.

I would take any of the new OLED curved screens as the color reproduction is gorgeous, but still I would have preferred it be a flat screen

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The old curving out screens was because of the way the cathode ray tube fired the electrons at the phosphorus on the screen. This resulted in distortion of the image. With the new curved screens, the image is compensated for the curved panel, and the purpose is to create immersion by reducing the distance difference between the centre of the screen and your eyes and the edge of the screen.

8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    That is why I said you have to be pretty much be seated center screen for the effect to work, well best at least.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Very true. Keep in mind the TV's looked at are probably still 2014 models, with 2015 models coming shortly.