AMD R9 380x/390x Topic

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by isidore, Feb 25, 2015.

1. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Hi Guys,

I've checked couple of pages and did not see any topic regarding this.
    What do you guys think?
    For one i'm very interested in the the GPU's, the HBM memory looks very promising and probably this will be the first generations of single GPU's 4K capable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Yep I'm definetely looking forward to these cards, probably will buy a 390x when it's out :)

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yep, i'm waiting for this to build a new rig, does mantle work if you don't have a AMD CPU.

4. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Mantle needs just an AMD GPU I think, it's been a while since I had an AMD card though.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yes it will work

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    390X does looks promising. Those specs are just amazing!

I started saving and i hope it will be my next card. :p

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yep the memory change brings some huge performance on paper, i really hope the gpu won't be crippled by the game engines. I remember back in the day of 2900XT card, with the 512bit bus, the raw power of that card was so big it was a wonder card for 3d modeling and other stuff but got crippled in gaming.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There's already been threads about both the new GPUs and HBM, but still, it looks promising. AMD is there first, testing it out on the upcoming generation, and the last I've heard is that Nvidia will try something similar with upcoming Pascal in 2016, or maybe later. AMD has an exclusive partnership with it's HBM manufacturer afaik, but only for one or two years iirc.

9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Let's hope the driver support and so on will be amazing. Nvidia also releasing a new card soon. I think it's Maxwell 384bit an more memory and maybe a little faster gpu core but only time will tell

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The word on the streets is that the GM200 will be 150% as fast as a single 980 (due to having 150% the shader processors), 384bit memory interface, and thus, likely 6GB vram. Maybe there will be an extra expensive (even more than the GM200 anyway) version with 12GB down the way, but that sounds a little unlikely to me personally.

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I've owned a bunch of AMD cards(last one I had was a 5850),and never had any driver problems(single GPU setups).

Does AMD have driver issues with single GPUs these days?

ON topic: I'm looking forward for the 390X,and I hope it can cope with 4k 60fps (medium to high settings).

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Looking at the bandwidth the new cards have i say 4k 60fps is really close.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have quite some budget ready for it (4096SP + 4GB of HBM). I do not want to use names, since it is not official and AMD may decide that this current top GPU will be r9-380x and then as 14nm gets ready they make r9-390x which will deliver similar improvement in performance.

Or they may decide that 14nm chips will be under r9-4xx names. Improvements AMD made left and right (APUs/GPUs) looks very promising for this new GPU.
    nVidia came with method for power draw reduction by power gating GPU parts which are not used in middle of rendering saving some watts.
    AMD has same feature in upcoming carrizo APU's GPU, there is quite possibility that it will be used on dGPU too.

How else would one like to fit +40~50% performance over r9-290x while keeping same TDP?

14. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Earlier rumours I've read point to lower end cards coming sooner, perhaps somewhere around April with possibilities of the 390(X) variants Maybe coming in June at Computex.
    (other sites have only postured about the 380X coming at Computex)

<-- currently saving for a Good 4K screen and ofc a 390X :)

15. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well with 3 cards I can afford skip a few generations. Will be waiting for card to deliver around 4 290x performance before upgrading.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One should note that even 3GB of vram is more than enough. Games are capable to fill even 8GB of vram, but if you have only 3GB DX will simply load and unload resources as needed.
    So unless each consecutively rendered frame needs completely different textures, DX can preload everything in time without performance drop from waiting for resources.

GTX 970 would never had problem if driver reported to everything (including DX) that card has only 3.5GB of vram in total.
    Issue comes when driver tells that card has free vram, but then refuses to fill it.

Even people with GTX 680/770 with 2GB and worse than maxwell compression do not have problems.
    4k Gaming is bit different, but even there 4GB is more than enough till someone stupid comes and decides that even smallest of objects on screen needs to have 4096x4096 pixels textures.
    But DX has some smart texture formats dealing with some things and shaders should add additional details to lower resolution textures.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Minor ingame issue here and there. For some folks there's also a sleep issue and BSODs due to browser/flash acceleration(this happens with NV too, but its less prevalent)
    And then there's the waiting period for an optimized driver after Gameworks title is released.

Other than that, no. No issues with single setups. Overall it's a decent life.

I am leaving Mantle out of this, and I am assuming you have new driver properly installed.
    But it's Installation procedure that is AMD's Achilles heel.
    During installation you never know with which driver combo you're gonna end up.

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    OK,good to know thx.

ON topic: So AMD it's going to release the 380X soon, but not the 390X?

From what I've read, in may-april, the 380X is the only card to be released and will be 45-50% more powerfull than the 290X?

I was looking forward to the 390x.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  19. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm definitely getting the flagship card from this series. I just wish we had a time frame of when to expect this....

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    380x is a re brand of the 290x, the 390x is a new chip.. they will release both of those chips at the same time