i7 4790K on turbo all the time

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by rivalbro, Feb 24, 2015.

1. rivalbro

rivalbro Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980
    My system is on the left, I installed Asus AI Suite and clicked on the big button which comes up. It did all the tests, restarted and finally told me "successfull over clock at 5000 mhz". Well I was not sure I wanted that so I tried to get it back to stock. Some forums suggested to just uninstall AI Suite, I did so but the overclock stayed. So I did the BIOS load defaults. It didn't do anything for the overclock. Finally I reset the CMOS by pulling out the battery for good two minutes. Now it sits at 4392 mhz and a little +/-. This processor has a turbo boost at 4.4 GHZ, I want it to work as stock because this PC or me don't need this overclocking function.

Do I have to re-install Windows? What else can I do?

P.S. I loaded the XMP profile for my RAM to run at it's 2133 speed. Is that a factor?

2. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Go into your bios and load defaults...save and reboot. It will bring everything back to base level settings. Then you can set it up the way you want in the bios....

3. itchybuko

itchybuko New Member

GPU:
    MobilityHD3650 512MB DDR2
    Check in the power options screen>change plan settings>advanced plan settings>processor power management>minimum processor state. If it's 100% then the thing you described happens. Set it to 5% or restore defaults.

4. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    Hi, I have exactly the same. Gigabyte motherboard. 4790k is set to 4.4 GHz for all cores and 1,23 V in auto mode. Looks like MB is setting this CPU a little bit higher then Intel's specs and cannot turn it off. I have set the turbo in BIOS to 44, 44, 43, 42 as Intel's specs says and everything is fine.

Also XMP profile causes this. If you disable XMP profile, CPU will work with its default settings. But in my case, it is even worse as performance is degraded by 50%, according to benchmarks and some games when XMP is turned off. :/ Maybe Z87 chipset is incompatible?

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Z87 and K processor is pointless if you're not overclocking. Actually The CPU is designed to overclock automatically, just not to the extent that people generally overclock to.

6. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    Ok, thats right. But if you need to investigate hardware issues, you need to set all hardware to it's defaults. It is impossible on K series and Z87 chipset Gigabyte MB, as it is OCing the CPU out of the box. :3eyes: You won't tell me that 4,4 GHz and 1,23 Vcore is default for i7-4790K.

IMHO, BIOS is ruined and needs to be fixed. I've used a lot of different MoBos and CPU's. There was always an option to reset to default and CPU and other parts of MB were working with default settings (according to Intel's Specs).

And now, even if I would like, I cannot set all CPU specs to its default as I do not know them. :bang:

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    OP

If you're running windows high performance power plan then its because of that, switch to balanced when in idle @ desktop.

Also all mobos usually overvolt more then it needs to @ auto voltage, especially Gigabyte.

8. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    I am using balanced power plan.

When on default settings, Uncore is set to 800 MHz.:3eyes: but CPU is on its default? (turbo 44, 44, 43 ,42, Vcore 1,152), but when I enable XMP for RAM (1333 -> 1600 MHz), Uncore goes to 4000 MHz and CPU to 44, 44, 44, 44 and 1,23 Vcore. :3eyes:

I hate Gigabyte.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's probably Asus Enhanced Turbo feature. Turn it to disabled. On my Maximus it defaults to enabled and has similar behavior.

10. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    On Gigabyte it is called K OC. Disabled already.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    When you first load the BIOS in easy mode there should be a selector of some sort there that lets you choose a powerplan too. Mine has something like Optimal, Silent, and Extreme settings. Check that.

12. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    Not in Gigabyte. :(

But i figured something out. After downgrading the BIOS and setting all to default, voltages are extremely high. After changing all from Auto to normal, it is looking better, yet still auto OC is there. But at least Voltages are ok, and when in idle, it is dropping all parameters to lower settings (including Uncore, not doing it on newer BIOS). Looks like Gigabyte engineers are not able to build a good BIOS. Already reported it to them.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My comment was directed to the OP who has an Asus MB.

14. Didusieq

Didusieq Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF RTX 3080
    Sorry, liitle misunderstanding. ;)