Nvidia lawsuit over GTX 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Franz, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Franz

Franz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970 Windforce OC
  2. Marius

Marius Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX SC
    Stupid.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Thanks for sharing this, yup, crazy as hell.

Am I mad about my cards, nope, not really.

They overclock like one bad mofo, I'll give you that, :).

I also hear gigabyte is doing some kind of a step up program from 970 to 980 for like 100 bucks, some people been waiting for quite sometime on a response from gigabyte and not even a single response.

I was looking into it, If I do another card, its probably going to be more then likely the card after the new radeon gpu hits the shelves, but after this bologna, who knows when now, but once again, thanks for sharing this info.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Well deserved, it shouldn´t be marketed as a 4gb card since only 3.5 are fully functional and the inflated rop and caché numbers are also laughable.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What's stupid? NVidia violated the law. Someone has chosen to use those laws to go after NVidia for their negligence. So, again, what exactly is stupid here?

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I hope the lawsuit is won against Nvidia, because this will stop both Nvidia and AMD from misleading consumers.

Have nothing against Nvidia (on the contrary I like Nvidia), but I'd want this Nvidia to admit their shortcomings and pay up.

7. NoOne

NoOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970 4BG
    It is a good step, i hope buyers will benefit from this.. Ideally what i would like to hear is that NVidia would give some "return window" for let's say 3-6 month and all unhappy that willing to return could get their money back.. And it shouldn't matter if it was small local seller or amazon, etc.

Other thing i can think about is they keeping some fix back, though they state it is impossible as it is hardware level but i do think they could have a fix and do not apply it to avoid competition with 980 and under pressure of lawsuit they could "magically" find way for the fix. But it it is really HW level then it is not an option.

Wors't thing i can think of is release of something like 960Ti (same 970 with proper memory) or 970 v2.0 with proper memory config, this would hurt customers that bought V1 sooo much.... Especially with no return policy.

Anyway, this will take long, and only lawyer's will really make some money, but still lets hope it will be lesson for the future.

8. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    970 from the start was a stupid choice with my respect to owners. They thought it's a steal for 350 bucks when 980 is 550.

9. NoOne

NoOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970 4BG
    No offence, i'am new here, so maybe it is normal to call other stupid but how it became stupid from the start? Or is it stupid to offend others?

People buy IT stuff based on released spec's and reviews witch accidentally or intentionally didn't shown true situation in this case. It is in normal price range witch is not very cheap if you think so, it is mid range enthusiast product costing 400 EUR in my country ATM, and it is a lot... It was suppose to be more or less mainstream so it can't cost same or close to 980 witch is for one that choose performance over money.

10. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

how the hell a consumer can defend a company that sells him a defect product !!!!!!!
    now this is stupid

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    What laws? you know card has 4GB VRAM just like advertised, seem's people mad about 970 not performing like 980, even though its 10% slower on average

Judge should throw it out as none sense

Might as well sue the entire chip industry whilst at it? for selling cut down products that don't perform like more expensive ones.

12. NoOne

NoOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970 4BG
    First of all it does not have 256 bit memory interface as advertised it is 3,5 GB 256 + 0,5 GB 32 bit (or 64 bit, written from memory of what i have read about issue), second 56 ROPs, not 64 as listed in their reviewers guides and other stuff, it is all over the web, so naturally it points at least to #4:

#1 Unfair business practices.
    #2 Deceptive business practices.
    #3 Unlawful business practices.
    #4 Misleading advertising.

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It's good to have a lawsuit to get this sorted and hopefully prevent such misleading practices in the future.

On a side note, does anybody know if the full 8GB resp. 4GB of video memory is usable on mobile GeForce GTX 880M and GeForce GTX 980M video cards with advertised 8GB resp. 4GB of memory or if any of that is also used as cache?
    What about GeForce 680 4GB?

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I have a 970 and although I'm content with it, I felt betrayed by the lying about the specs of the card. One must remember that it was not just one metric that was misrepresented.
    It was the vram split, the memory bus, the cache and the ROPs.

I'm glad someone is suing nVidia just because it will set an example as not to lie to customers, not only to nVidia but also other companies.

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Product return should've been enough. Now driver quality or next gen cards will suffer because of lost money. I guess.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    nVidia just gained 11% market share, while AMD lost another 11%.
    I don't think this lawsuit is going to harm nVidia or their products. The company is still highly profitable.

The lawsuit is just going to be a slap in the wrist. But it will make the point of not lying to consumers about specs.

17. They make good products, but as a company I don't respect them.

The lawsuit is uncalled for. Nvidia loves sitting on its high horse and would never take the risk of falling off by intentionally cheating customers. I believe they knew of the VRAM issue but found out too late, and would have suffered substantial loss to redesign and re-manufacture the chips. So they shoved it under the rug and hope no one notices. Nvidia knows better than to repeat this mistake. No one but the lawyers will benefit from the lawsuit.

Also if you noticed, the lawsuit is initiated by the law firm itself. They are obviously out to exploit the situation for personal profit. "murica

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I never expected my card to perform like a 980. I'm not even a gamer. On average, I spend 4-6 hours a month "gaming". I do, however, expect any product I buy to conform to it's specifications. The GTX970 does not. The memory bus, as stated in the specifications is incorrect. The memory bandwidth, as stated in the specifications is wrong. The ROP count and L2 cache capacity, as stated in reviews (deemed as legal advertisements under US law) was incorrect. There's 4 cases of false advertisement. Much like in the EU, companies in the US are not permitted to advertise false specifications for products, whether it be willingly or accidentally.

"Class-action" Lawsuits are always initiated by law firms. In this case, the "Plaintiff", as listed, lives in Michigan. The Law Firm is in California where the lawsuit had to be filed.

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It amazes me that some people see this litigation as 'stupid'.

Just another case of 'take down your pants and bend over' which more and more people seem to be willing to do these days as opposed to holding companies that choose to deceive their customers to account.

Nvidia lied, they got caught - those actions have consequences.

As Clint Eastwood famously said, 'If you wanna play the game, you'd better know the rules, luv'.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVidia lied about the memory. They claimed 4GB of GDDR5 with 224GB/s of memory bandwidth. There is only 3.5GB of GDDR5 operating at "full speed", though it's below the 224GB/s stated by NVidia. There is 0.5GB operating with considerably reduced bandwidth. People who bought the card based on it having 4GB of VRAM, were deceived and NVidia illegally profited from the deception of those consumers.