Un-park cores for performance increase

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Jonnygrunge, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    I have been having many a problem with games lagging every so often due to CPU spikes! Metro 2033 Redux, BF4, Dying light to name but a few!
    I discovered a handy little App, for un-parking CPU cores, more info here So I was intrigued and decided to give it a go, nothing to loose right?
    I ran the un-park CPU App, it can be directly downloaded from here Using the app I then un-parked 3 cores, restarted and wow just wow!, stutter within games has disappeared instantly! Absolutely amazed!, boy is Windows OS poor at managing the CPU, for energy efficiency reasons!
    Speed step, etc. is still down clocking CPU, by means of lowering the CPU multiplier, (I have my voltage locked for my 4.2GHz OC) when browsing the Internet, etc. My max clock of 4.2GHz still kicks in for heavy applications or games - Result!
    Every game is now playing buttery smooth, with increased frame rates! It almost compares to a 5GHz OC!
    I assume this should work on any multi-core CPU, including AMD's offerings. It should also work for non-threaded Intel CPU's.
    I would be very interested to hear other peoples experience with un-parking their CPU cores, and any performance boost as a result.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows 7 has too extreme power settings for core parking in balanced power plan. Windows 8 has not.
    Both versions have a plenty of CPU power settings hidden by default. And these settings can be unhidden.
    I saw core parking in active only on Windows 7 with quad core CPU at least. I never saw core parking on dual core CPU.
    This core parking theme is so old.

And naturally as a user of home desktop rig you should disable core parking for better CPU utilization.

Here is the MS document on CPU power management
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...412A-A8B6-5E0A75D5B237/ProcPowerMgmtWin7.docx

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    I don't think it's needed for i5 cpus. Maybe it will for i7. For my cpu I haven't see none parked,not a single time when gaming. I use C1 state only and I didn't see any difference on any game I've tested with this utility.
    ( I have my min set to 10% )
    Also if you have a decent overclocked cpu so it won't bottleneck your gpu you won't gain something playing games.

EDIT: I remembered this, unparking cores even when not needed increased (slightly for me) cpu heat,nothing else.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  4. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    Is there a tool, or front end, to do any of this? My weak-arse Google-foo only ever gets me crap like Power Plan Assistant, which does nothing I can't already do Control Panels' Power Options …

Thanks for the link, mbk1969.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Quote from document:
    So go to registry, search for key "0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583", change its REG_DWORD value "Attributes" to '0', go to advanced power plan setings dialog and set unhidden value "Processor power management\Processor performance core parking min cores" to '100%'.

Actually plenty of registry keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings" has a value "Attributes" equals to '0x1' which means 'Hidden'. If you want to see such settings in mentioned dialog change all values "Attributes" to '0'.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes it looks like so, working and no parked cores
    [​IMG]
    https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

but like mbk1969 said, win8.x doesn't park @ balanced or high performance power plan.

Btw there is another unparking tool, but that one does right the opposite, parks instead of unpark. Saw that after I double checked with this bitsum parkControl.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    ^ This. I've built a few machines with Ivy's and Haswell's and all of the i5's never parked, even on power saving ultra sort of settings. i7's are a different story though, making a difference for at least one of my buddies as far as stutters are concerned.

8. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    :3eyes: I've got a 64-bit version of that, from years ago, that was broken. The 32-bit model does seem to work, so cool; Thanks.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    As others have mentioned, 8/8.1 (and presumably 10) are not affected at all by this bug no matter what CPU you use.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That's why i changed to w8.1, better CPU utilization. Planetside 2 being such a CPU heavy games i noticed the huge difference.

11. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    Really … :3eyes:

… But 10 is free at the moment, ain't it … :ying:

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I realised there was a problem when performance during gaming broke down, especially with BF4 (which makes lots of CPU usage). I figured out that there was a core parking thing, and that it seemingly only made itself noticable after installing a few windows updates on win7.

I googled it, and because of a basic distrust to any programs and helpers, I just searched for a way to get the registry changed (keys and where to find them). Worked like a charm, doesn't really need any tools to be downloaded or run. Also, I was quite surprised to see windows throttle it's performance on the performance power plan :rolleyes:

I'll be moving to win8.1 and eventually 10 with my next rig, I hope that you guys are right and I won't have to figure out something like this anymore :D

13. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Appreciate the feedback guys! I am using Win 7 64bit and an i7 certainly the tool works for me. Interesting that it appears fixed on 8.1 and also 10. Will be moving onto that in the autumn/fall on release.

14. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    Eh: To each his own; I dislike how half of registry keys seem to read "set to 1 to turn off," so I look for tools by someone with some experience with the fool thing …
    At risk of digressing badly, I wound up with Bill2's Process Manager 'cause of that bad 64-bit ParkControl (and only just remembered the non-story.) Even if I have to double-check all app priorities now (minor issue with CacheMan on the same box,) I really like it.

I wonder what else Win8.x deprecates … :3eyes:

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It parks logical cores not physical.

i5 has 4 physical cores, no HT

i7 has 4 physical cores, + HT