Get an i5-4690k now or wait for Broadwell?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Tree Dude, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    As you can see from my specs I have an ancient CPU (it's basically a last gen C2Q). I got my tax return today and I need an upgrade badly. But I am torn between waiting or just pulling the trigger now. Thoughts? I do not upgrade often (my last video card before this one was a Radeon 4890) so I really want the best bang for buck. Everything I read says Q2 for the Broadwells which is months away.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You cant go wrong with 4690k, its a best CPU for gaming atm. I'm saying best becouse HT is overrated and wont help you getting better framerate. So getting a 4790k for 100$ more isnt really worth it.

Broadwell is coming but it dosnt look like it will be much of an improvement over haswell. So if you dont want to wait just upgrade now.

How big is budget for MB/Ram and CPU cooler?

3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    RAM I have 16gb of DDR3 2133 already. It's "value" RAM but it was free from a freind who upgraded. Budget is about $400-450. I am currently thinking of an ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 for my motherboard.

Edit - I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper T4. I might get the 212 EVO though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    An i5 cpu is fine... i always used the midrange cpu option and never ever have an issue in games and i am very picky

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd get an i7 personally.

Feels like more and more games benefit from HT and just handle games better than an i5. Then again, how high you clock it matters more than HT I guess.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    HT is overrated, core clock is still the king. Give me an example where i7 beats i5 by a large margin clock to clock (gaming).

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    All I got is the GameGPU benchmarks but some say that site is not to be trusted. What do you think?

[​IMG]

8. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    HT is not overrated and will become more and more an extra asset in gaming.
    However, that 4690k will do you nicely op. It will provide you your bang for your buck.
    We got a system with a stock 4670 and it plays games great. Granted, with a 290 gpu.

9. CapKrunch

CapKrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    can you wait for Skylake? if not then go for 4690k then :D

10. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    As I mentioned I already have DDR3. Skylake will require DDR4 and I don't want to spend another $200 in RAM. I think I will just buy the Haswell. Thanks for all your input guys.

11. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Thought I would let you guys know I pulled the trigger. Since Intel left Broadwell desktop CPUs out of their last roadmap it looks like they are skipping them and going right to Skylake in Augest. That made this a nobrainer. I ended up with an ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER mobo because of a combo deal. It looks to be fairly new as it only had 1 review, but here's hoping for a trouble free build. Thanks for the help guys!

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nah they won't skip Broadwell, but it will have a short lifespan.. Broadwell ~May - June then 2-3months later Skylake with new chipset.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Unless they delay Skylake again. I don' think it will come so soon after Broadwell.

14. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    They have just one 65W K series i5 on the roadmap. I do not believe it is going to match the clock for clock performance of the current 95W Haswells. It makes no sense for them to manufacture an entire line of CPUs just to refresh them 3 months later.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yes atm, there will be i7 too, etc.