MSI R9-280X 3G Gaming Coil Whine / Buzz

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by FookDat, Jan 31, 2015.

1. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    So I have been battling "coil whine" or "buzzing" when my video card hits high FPS. For example sitting in Warframe menu or log in screen the FPS reaches 200-300+FPS and you can hear it then.

You do not hear the sound when just sitting idle at desktop or browsing webpages. I do not hear it when scrolling or any other sounds coming from computer.

I have tried switching from a Corsair GS600 to a Corsair CX750 PSU.
    Used a HD6950 on same pc and no coil whine at all.
    Used a GTX750 requires no external power but has no coil whine.

Overclocking and over-voltage does not fix the card, neither does under-voltage tweaking.

It does get better with V-Sync when the monitor and FPS are at 59-60FPS.

Also tried using Rivatuner Statistics Server from MSI Afterburner 4.1.0 to frame rate limit at different fps but does not make a difference.

In trying different bios for my graphics card I noticed that mine has different voltage than an other hosted at t3ch power ups site for bios collections.

I have heard that manually changing the required TDP requirements may assist but could use some light on this part. Since mine is different from so many others and is one of the very first cards ever released maybe it can help since I can get such a high OC on it of 1200/1800 @1300/1700 +50pl

Current TDP on default bios is:
    015.040.000.000.003435 10/8/13
    113-MSITV277MS.304 TAHITI B0 XTL C38650 GDDR5 3GB
    113-C3865000-G77
    1002-6798
    CHL822x
    TDP(W) = 204
    Power Limit(W) = 170-245

MSI did release a bios that states fix vrm over heating issues. But it starts the base clock of the card up to 1050 instead of default 1020 and has a TDP power limit of 200-275W. Which I believe is the newest card that came out but comes with 2x8pin power connectors instead of 1x6pin and 1x8pin. Who knows!

If anyone knows of any bios tweaks to fix coil whine let me know, other wise I am moving onto the next phase below!

There has been many rumors in regards to fixing coil whine using these methods;

1.) Hot Glue Gun, small craft type glue guns that do not expel much heat as to not exceed the temp limits of the device it touches. Even though off could damage the component.

2.) Clear odorless Nail Polish/Varnish, Other people tried - Every capacitor and choke was drowned in polish, since our first attempt didn’t end up well – squeeling still existed. This “drowning” worked ;) - I assume this means they used a lot more lol

3.) Paraffin Wax ( Paraffin works better, is less likely to damage any parts and is easier to remove than hot glue. Mfgr's use paraffin but most hobbyists don't have it in their toolbox. I've used hi-voltage putty - a bit of a waste to be sure - but I had it in my toolbox.) posted by another user.

4.) Brush-On Electrical Tape - have not heard of anyone even trying this but when cured is just a rubber that can be peeled off. Is not corrosive to metal or electrical components, insulates and is not conductive! All sounds very promising.

5.) ASI 335 - Neutral Cure Silicone - apply this to the chokes

I have a old XFX8800GT Alpha Dog edition just sitting and looks bored! So I am going to clean it up and cover the entire thing in brush on electrical tape. put in a spare computer and see if it turns on and has issues. If there is no issue or fire or many other types of horrible things that could go wrong. I am going to attempt to use it on my MSI R9-280X and cover it to see if it fixes the coil whine.

I am sorry for the length of this thread but wanted to include as much detail as possible, I am assuming this will take some gurus to assist, thank you in advance.

Updated from AMD posted by another customer about this video card:

http://www.goodgrindingmill.com/article/29466.html

"We apologize for the issue that you are faced with.
    We realize that you are a very valuable customer.
    Please be aware that the choke that we use is the one suggested by AMD.
    The solution that we have to fix the Coil Whine, is to use the adhesive (advised by amd) to reduce the coil whine..." - RMA/Tech support Dept.

They do not state what the adhesive is but I am assuming its Paraffin wax or ASI 335 - Neutral Cure Silicone ...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I was unable to find Neutral Cure Silicone, but I did find, Clear RTV Silicone adhesive sealant. All purpose Glass, metal, fabrics and vinyl.

Also picked up some liquid nails sealant, clear seal all purpose sealant, excellent adhesion and flexibility.

Both are indoor and out door use and do not say that is is corrosive or anything. Still thinking till I hear back from someone.....

3. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    [​IMG]

The items in yellow are the chokes I am assuming that I need to cover.

The items in red is almost where it sounds like the sound is coming from or almost the power connecter its self. Its hard to tell anymore.

I have tested using the liquid tape and its pretty cool. I used it on another graphics card and it drys very quickly and peels off like rubber off areas you dont want it. It seems to work like plasti-dip. Still have not heard from anyone on this!!!! Could use some advice. But I am still pretty sure it is not the PSU causing it as I have put the card into other computers and different power supplies and adapters but experience the same issue. At this point the only option is to try and cover the chokes and see if it helps....

4. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    This guy covered his entire video card with liquid tape check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XraCu9gt4VA

guess its ok to use it on the board and chokes not sure about capacitors, but since it expands, still not sure.

5. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    So I used the liquid electric tape and have put it back together, have not put back in my pc yet........... sweating at moment not sure how its going to go or burst into flames!!!

Before, with Heat Sink removed:
    [​IMG]
    Used Liquid Electrical Tape to cover chokes and resistors:
    [​IMG]
    Then covered the capacitors and cleaned up. It seems like this is where the coil whine is coming from:
    [​IMG]
    All Back together, and sitting over night to cure. Liquid Tape says to wait 5 minutes:
    [​IMG]

If you hear back from me, it went well, if you do not hear back from me, then you know the answer! ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Good News!

The coil whine has diminished about 90%! I am going to do the entire card and see how it goes, I will let you all know!

7. Feliks

Feliks Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x 3GB
    How did this end up going? Did it ever cause any problems with your GPU, etc?

(I'm planning on doing the same thing with mine, so)

8. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Sorry for late reply been a while!

My video card is still running great and cool, not 1 single issue!!!!!! :banana:

No coil whine or anything....

Not a single random reset or graphics issue or bug....

Just make sure if you do it to clean it well, you dont want dust on the card. I did mine new so it was pretty clean.

9. Ruri

Ruri Guest

GPU:
    3GB
    I know this thread is very old but in case you're still here. I just want to see the images of the parts of the GPU you covered as the images links are dead. I have this massive coil whine too on my 280x and worst thing is, it is louder on lower fps. I wish you can help me. Thanks.

10. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Wow! Never thought I would come back to this thread!

The video card is still doing well and running, just got done playing BF4 maxed out for a few hours.

I will post some more pics. Have to dig them up.

11. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    r9 280x was a great card, I had two in crossfire ages ago and it's a setup I will always remember for price/performance.

Random but felt like saying.

Had some rancid coil whine though lol

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sadly i could not hit 1200mhz on my card without some noticeable artifacting.

Stays cool, still performs great at 1080p. In new games its on par with gtx780.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  13. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    trying to figure out how to post images on here....?

they come up black boxes?

14. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
  15. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    http://imgur.com/a/Bgtll

16. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    also I have zero coil whine in any game now, with vsync on or off there seems to be none that I can notice, with super high fps or low fps. new amd drivers have frame rate limiter use that to lock fps at whatever you don't get coil whine at. it can help.

17. Baboboss88

Baboboss88 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Hello FookDat,

I have a question about the coil whine in the R9 280x.
    I have seen your posts in the forum and my question is
    do you opened the whinning coil and covered it with the RTV Silicone adhesive sealant inside ? or do you just covered it on the surface without opening the chassis ?
    I really cant get rid if this annoying noise.

I hope you can help me

I excuse myself for my poor english because I´m from germany.