Help Me Trim Fat Off My Future PC!?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shpong, Jan 30, 2015.

1. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon 5400/4200
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shpong/saved/p99XsY

I'm tying to get this baby between $700 and 800, lower if possible.

I want to stick with brands I've known to be reliable, but the last time I built a PC was in 2005, and a LOT has changed since then, and I would really be grateful if you all could help be bring this baby down in price.

I was hoping this machine could play Crysis 3 and BF 4 at med-high settings on a full server at no less than 35 fps on a roughly 20 inch monitor at 1440x900. I run my games at 1366x768, so I am fine with that and intend to keep resolution lower than native to increase performance. But again, I am also thinking of the future.

Thank you!

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. TheDinx

TheDinx Guest

GPU:
    8GB Kingston HyperX White
    Made this: pcpartpicker . com/p/kb4y99 (remove spaces, cant post links yet :/)

The i5 4590 is basically the same as the 4690k but with a very slightly lower clockspeed and now support for overclocking.

The SSD is about the same price but faster and more reliable

Removed the cooler because with anything below the 4690k you really don't need it

The RAM is also as fast as the one you have chosen but cheaper

The GPU has been upgraded to the marginally more expensive GTX 960, but you will get 40 FPS on HIGHEST settings at 1080p on Crysis, so it will slide through whatever you throw at it

The price comes to $752.52
    Hope this helped!

4. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    You two are awesome!

Should I really ditch the extra fan? After using my first custom PC circa 2005 for 3 years, a heat sink on my motherboard shot off because of overheating...

I would really like to know if this build will last a long time. 5 years at minimum is what I'm hoping for. I would also like to know if this is even a good combo of parts...

Also, TheDinx, that is the same SSD I chose.

5. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Actually, I found that if I buy the CPU and Wi-Fi Card from MicroCenter (10 miles from my house) with in store pickup (no S&H), I can save about $40, with the PC totaling ~$766 and that is including the cheaper, but just as reliable RAM, the an EVGA PSU @600watts, and ASRock H97 motherboard.

And, if I don't need that fan, I save another $25.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Go for a Z97, you're buying an unlocked CPU (if you stick with the K model, which I'd recommend) and looking at motherboards with no overclocking options. It'd be a crying shame to pick up a current gen Intel CPU ant not OC it, it's ridiculously easy and will add a lot of life to your system.

7. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Interesting point...but take for example my current laptop. While the mobo doesn't allow for "overclocking," there are modified BIOS that allow for settings not commercially viable, because of power consumption. The choices have little impact...but it is there, on a crap computer. Perhaps they would be even more negligible on a proper PC. Perhaps, I can find some modified BIOS?

I wasn't making this PC with overclocking in mind. Sure, I would love to in the future if the PC needed an extra boost. There is also the fact that my laptop only allows for GPU overclocking, which is basically useless. For the longest time, I've never OCed...because I could only OC a ****e GPU, and basically I'm used to not OCing and with that in mind I set out to build a PC that would meet my needs without it. OCing to reach 30fps MAXIMUM? Yes. OCing to exceed a perfectly playable framerate on a modern, relevant game? Not so much.

I see any PC I buy right now as a 10x upgrade. My laptop is grossly outdated. If I can overclock, that would be great. I did want parts that would work fine without me OCing, but I do like adventure...Could you find a link to that specific one mobo you are talking about?

Speaking of unlocked, when it come to lifespan and performance...I did have a black edition GFX-660 (I think) in the list. Might that be better?

I always thought OCing was unhealthy for a computer....

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I wouldn't consider modified bios options even if there were some, the price difference between the boards you're looking at and a decent entry Z97 is non existent. If you're unsure about OC'ing just about anyone on here can help you with that, it's very easy to do with current Intel chips and wont be a problem for your system what so ever. The HSF I recommended is more than enough for a mild-medium OC tbh. You'll only gain in the long run.

A properly OC'd system will last for many years without a problem, I've been running my 3570K (3.4ghz stock) at 4.4ghz since I bought it back when Ivy Bridge launched and I've never had a single problem. I know people running CPU's near a decade old that have been OC'd their entire lives.

I wouldn't consider a 660 at this point in the game, you either want a 280 or Nv equivalent which is a 760. Don't even consider the 960's, they're terribly priced for the performance they offer.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Definitely go for DSR3-2133. DDR3-1333 RAM is actually a bottleneck for modern systems. It does make a difference with performance and considering the price difference, it's worth it.

I'd never use the stock Intel cooler, it would be wise to get the aftermarket cooler mentioned above, a K processor, and a Z97 board. You may think you don't want to overclock now, but it will add time until you need to upgrade again. Also, you have the fun etc in the meantime.

1920x1080 is the standard resolution these days, you don't want to play with anything less than that.

10. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Ah, but the K series is much more pricey. Can a non-K REALLY not be overclocked?

How are these sticks of RAM?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx316c9srk28
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx316c10fb8
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997002
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls3kit2g3d1609ds1s0
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10f8

I'm thinking about the last 2 on that list...

What about this case? Looks alright, lower price, and has a 500w PSU.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-r519bk

UPDATE: I found a guy in my area selling PC parts on craigslist because the guy he made the brand new computer for bought a laptop instead. I talked him into selling individual parts, so I could get an MSI Z97 PC MATE for $70 and 8GBs of Kingston Fury HyperX DDR3-1866 for $60. He's willing to take a loss on what he paid, but the parts are new and unused and I would know immediately that they are not broken.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never skimp out of a PSU and never use one of the stock no name ones that come with a case ... get a reputable PSU I would go no less than a 750 watt so you have enough room to add more stuff if need be down the road and use your PSU on your next build it will save you money in the future.

I also agree to go with a Z97 mobo so you can overclock and get a longer life out of your PC.

Best of luck to you.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you want 8 GB of RAM, your only real option is 2x4 GB modules. Try going for DDR3-2133 if the price isn't much more. Anything from Ivy Bridge and Z77 onwards loves DDR3-2133 RAM.

13. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Please, forgive my ignorance, but I have to ask...

If I had Far Cry 4, and 8 GB of RAM, since the game requires 8 GB of RAM, I take it that the kind of RAM doesn't matter, as long as it is over 8GB, so I still run my OS and various other applications running in the background?

I think I may need 16...

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    If you get a single stick of RAM you will effectively halve your potential RAM bandwidth as it will be running in single channel only.

Buying a set of 2 x 4 GB matched RAM for dual channel operation is a much better idea.

You don't need 16 GB of RAM (unless you can get it for the same price or cheaper than 8 GB).

Also, H97 series motherboards can't overclock (unless it's Asus) so don't get an unlocked CPU if you're going to buy the H97, it's a waste of money.

15. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    You guys have been awesome so far. Thank you, really.

What do you think of the part selection so far?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shpong/saved/p99XsY

I do have some left-over fans as well, but I'm not sure of their compatibility. They are from 2003.

Will I also need some thermal compound?

16. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I would still go with a 2x4 gig set of memory to run 8 gigs in dual channel ...

also the psu to me seems kind of cheap but maybe it will be ok.

also i have the tplink 4800 wireless card with three antennas and it works super well and i got it for 43 usd

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That PSU is way more than enough for that build tbh, I'd go for 2x4gb on the RAM so you can run dual channel though. That three stick set is designed for older X58 systems that ran tri-channel memory.

18. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Wouldn't more channels improve the bandwidth?

This is probably a really dumb question, but to take full advantage of dual channel RAM....where do I put the the RAM? I notice the motherboard's 4 RAM slots are color coordinated, and separated into two sets of black and blue. Would I out the RAM in one set?

EDIT: Did some reading...looks like it best to read the manual, but I think this model calls for one stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 3, or 2/4. With the bandwidth, from what I am reading at least, a 4 core CPU would utilize 2 channels more efficiently, though the difference between 2 and 3 is not that great, unless the CPU was 6 cores.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You're confusing platforms, Z97 etc are dual channel only (or you could use single but not recommended). Older high end platforms are tri channel (X58 chipsets etc), and newer high end platforms are quad channel. By high end I mean enthusiast platforms, well out of your budget.

Admittedly 16 GB would be better, but costs more, and will push you over budget. As long as you don't have unnecessary stuff open games will be fine with 8 GB. In fact, for all games currently, 8 GB of RAM at DDR3 -2133 performs better than 16 GB of DDR3-1333 or DDR3 -1600.

Just don't load your computer up with crap, you see it quite often that people load crap they don't need, or just click through when installing programs and as a result have a gazillion useless browser toolbars and other stuff that they just don't need. A lot of programs are quite bad in loading useless services and memory resident programs that aren't needed, many of which just are background updaters (checks for updates once a week). Completely pointless these being loaded. What's worse is that they could do things a lot smarter and just have the update task it whatever else run through the scheduler. No performance impact, no memory used (apart from the time it takes to run), and can run on system startup if the schedule is missed. Those very few things that actually require a service to run should only run the service as required, again simple to do.

Sorry for the rant, but its extremely common for people to slow their system down with crap, and most of those companies making the memory resident/service stuff should know better.

20. shpong

shpong Guest

GPU:
    Thank you for your input. I still dont understand why dual and quad channels are more advanced than tripple, or are you saying that both tripple and quad and over my budget line?

And don't worry. I know full well about the crap of which you speak. Nothing runs unless it is necessary or part of a program and can be terminated on a whim.