Should I upgrade my video card or CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PaYnE18, Jan 30, 2015.

1. PaYnE18

PaYnE18 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0S
    Hey guys, this week I will get some money and I was thinking of upgrading my system, by looking at my specs on the left do you guys think is worth upgrading the CPU? the main reason to upgrade my cpu to an I7 is to play
    Day z and Arma 3, with this system in theory I should run the game ok but in the cities is at like 30 fps, I read before that with a I7 I should run the game way better, but still gaming in general is more important and thats why I'm asking which one to upgrade, sadly at the moment I can only upgrade one part, maybe I can upgrade little things like RAM and that stuff, I also have 2 SSD's so thats no problem, thanks for reading.

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I don't think it's worth the upgrade. DayZ doesn't seem to use more than 50% cpu in game for me. During load up all 4 cores are used heavily, but in game it seems to run mostly on 2 cores at a time, occasionally nearly maxing out 1 single core. Total cpu use is always 50% +/-. It seems a fast dual core is best.
    I'm going to suggest the opposite of what you read:
    An i7 wont help...
    From what I've seen on other systems close to yours dayz doesn't get much better...
    I bet your rig does great on other games, right? I wouldn't upgrade anything yet.

3. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    With your specs just get a new video card. Wham, bam thank you mam. You'll be all set until you build your next PC.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Difficult call, but I believe you'll still be better off with a gpu upgrade. It might be cheaper than a cpu upgrade atm, as amd has lowered it's prices on the 290X again.
    Do DayZ and ArmaIII support mantle?

5. PaYnE18

PaYnE18 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0S
    Thanks for the answers, ya I guess I will upgrade my GPU only reason I had to upgrade CPU was because of these 2 games because I read it works better with an I7, but yeah in the other games they run fine, maybe not in ultra settings with steady 60 fps but fine.

6. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    I agree with the other members. Upgrade video card. I have an I5-760 @4.1, 2500k @4.5, and 3770K @ 4.5. Tested each with various gens of video cards, and performance between each are not that far off among them.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only logical upgrade from 3570k at 4.5ghz would 4790k or higher...even then performance would be negligible in gaming.

8. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Hi!

Wait for R9 300 series.

Not burn your money on CPU
    Your cpu is very strong at 4.5 ghz
    Buy another kit 8GB ram

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If you feel to need to upgrade any of your hardware I would go for a GPU upgrade to a r9 290x or if you can wait the r9 300 series. But if you can't the 290x is your best bang for the buck graphics card right now since the price lowering.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I agree that you should wait for the R9 300 series. Your CPU is plenty, especially at 4.5GHz.