Can't stop Ati3duag.dll BSOD, please help

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Lunarbob, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Lunarbob

Lunarbob Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 1Gb
    Hi, I am reaching the end of my rope of patience here with my video driver. I tried to overcome this on my own with days of poring over message board posts, but nothing has worked.

My problem is this, I don't know when it started but I really noticed it a month or two ago while playing The Witcher 2. I am playing a game, and it runs just fine, but then out of nowhere 1 of 2 things happen. Either the screen freezes on the image and automatically reboots the computer a few seconds later or the screen goes black and the same thing happens.

Sometimes when this happens I get a whte screen saying Active Desktop Recovery next time I log in. This makes me reset the desktop wallpaper each time.

I have tried a LOT of things to fix this. I was using a floor fan to keep my computer cool, so I thought the problem was overheating. So I took the cpu apart outside and cleaned it out and applied new thermal paste. The fan situation is normal again and things run much cooler, but still I get the BSOD.

So I tried everything I could think of including.

1. Updated CCC to newest drivers, downgraded to older driver, uninstalled and re-installed drivers.

2. Run as Admin, disabled Avast, lowered graphic settings, unplug gamepad, try offline mode.

3. Tried setting the game.exe to a single core, and tried setting to high priority.

4. Set the GPU to stock settings, ran Memtest to no errors, ran defrag.

No matter what I tried, still the same random BSOD. Finally I thought I had it figured out and did the following.

1. Log on Admin account and uninstall from Add/Remove. Then uninstall the adapter through device manager.

2. Reboot into safe mode, Run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), boot back into safe mode.

3. Look for left over ATI files, Here I had a problem where the computer automatically detected and installed the 6800 card]. I could still see the same old ATI files.

4. Restarted computer normally, installed the driver [I even tried the driver directly from HIS], restarted.

5. Tried gaming, and absolutely nothing has changed.

I have ran WhoCrashed and everytime it is the Ati3duag.dll causing problems, except once when it crashed youtube and it was ati2 then.

So now I have ran out of ideas, and implore the experts out there to help me figure this out please.

I have this problem for:
    The Witcher 2, Dishonored, and Starcraft 2, so I know it is not the game itself.
    So far Torchlight 2 has ran without a single video crash.

My specs are: Windows XP SP 3
    Motherboard
    ===========

Manufacturer: AsRock
    Model: M3A770DE
    Chipset: AMD 770 Rev.00
    Southbridge: AMD SB700 Rev.00
    LPCIO: Wnbond W83627DHG-P

Bios

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: P1.60
    Date: 05/20/2010

CPU
    ===========
    Name: AMD Athlon II X3 445
    Code Name: Rana
    Max TDP: 95W
    Package: Socket AM3 (938)
    Technology: 45nm
    Core Voltage: 1.368V
    Specification: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 445 Processor
    Family: F Model: 5 Stepping: 3
    Ext. Family: 10 Ext. Model: 5 Revision: BL-C3
    Instructions:

Memory
    ============
    Type: DDR3 Dual Channel
    Size: 4GB
    NB Frequency: 1995.6Mhz

Module Size: 2048 Mbytes
    Max Bandwidth: Pc3-10700 (667Mhz)
    Manufacturer: G.Skill
    part Number: F3-10600CL9-2GBNT

Graphic Card - HIS Radeon 6850 IceQX Turbo
    ============

Name: Radeon HD 6850
    Code Name: Barts
    Technology: 40nm
    Clock Core: 820 Mhz
    Clock Memory: 1100 Mhz
    memory Size: 1024 Mbytes
    Type: GDDR5

Power Supply
    ============
    Seasonic S12II Bronze 520w

I just disabled the auto restart so I could write down the most recent blue screen error code, might help.

Ati2dvag *** STOP : 0x000000EA (0x87E12218, 0x89ABD390, 0xBA4E7CBC, 0x00000001) The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop.

2. Jysoul

Jysoul Guest

GPU:
    2 x ASUS R9 280X OC
    You haven't mentioned what video driver you're using?

Is Windows XP 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also assuming you're not overclocking any component (memory, cpu, video)?

Output from the event viewer under System the Warning and Critical events for the date and time they occurred.

Source and use an app called gpu-z and there is an option to log to a file, which you should tick and let the app run while you try to reproduce the issue. The log file is informative to see temps.

Depending on the driver software version, from CCC, go into overdrive and activate it, set fan to manual and slide to 100%. Also reduce both memory and clock speeds by 40 and save.

If you can't do this from CCC, then source MSI Afterburner, which you can do the same. If you do use MSI Afterburner (and it needs to auto start at Windows start-up), disable CCC from auto start at Windows start-up.

Reboot and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Lunarbob

Lunarbob Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 1Gb
    Thank you for replying and helping me.

I am running Windows XP 32-Bit, and my current drivers are ati2mtag 9.0.100.1000 (Catalyst 13.4) / XP.

The GPU card was factory overclocked, but thanks to your explanation I can now set it to stock settings. MSI runs on startup and CCC has been disabled. Nothing else is in anyway overclocked.

I just did two test runs with the fan still on auto. There was no real difference when my core/clock was 775/1000 from 780/1060. This is my sensor log from Gpu-z, drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJm-D4o617dZ0wzd1o5b3pOT0U/view?usp=sharing .

I don't see how putting the fan to 100% would make a difference considering the temp never even reached 60.

I am still crashing very soon after I start gaming.

This is an example error code I wrote down, if it sheds any light.
    Ati2dvag *** STOP : 0x000000EA (0x87E12218, 0x89ABD390, 0xBA4E7CBC, 0x00000001)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Hi

If the software tweaks can't help,then it should be the hardware issue.

As this post said:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5003304&postcount=906

For me I had black screen+freeze issue,I did same thing as you(even more tweaks including keeping flash mb. BIOS to new one ,even buy a new PSU,new HDD,and more) over the past 2 years and all is just waste time and money.

The only thing helps me is RMA.

5. Lunarbob

Lunarbob Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 1Gb
    I really, really hope that is not my only option. My video card is past warranty and I don't have the money to go get another new one.

6. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    re-install windows, start fresh

7. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    You can keep trying the software tweak guides from internet.Google "amd Ati2dvag BSOD" like this post said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253545-45-ati2dvag-problem-solved

And I believe there are more so call solution on internet,but from what I had experienced,unless you are lucky enough,it will be back sometime.

Still hope they will fix your problem.

As for the warranty ,the out of warranty is not necessarily meaning they don't provide the service on that card anymore.Especially 6850 is still not too old.

As for my card I RMA'd,it seems they just replaced some IC component,not the core chip or video memory.And it is stable now for about 3 weeks.

You can try to contact the manufacturer by email or tel. provided on their page,to see how about the situation and how much will cost.

I can not guarantee it will all ok,maybe the cost you can't accept,but still worth to try since email manufacturer for a suggestion is no cost.

8. Jysoul

Jysoul Guest

GPU:
    2 x ASUS R9 280X OC
    Have you tried the most current video driver version available for your card, which I believe is 14.4?

Also and only after a driver upgrade whereby you still have the same issue, try and adjust the Hardware Acceleration (recommended by MS)

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
    2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
    3. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable write combining check box.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK.

Note This procedure prevents the graphics adapter from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the possibility that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

9. Lunarbob

Lunarbob Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 1Gb
    Jysoul-

I have tried the newest drivers, that was the first thing I did when my games started crashing. I updated to the the 14.4, it didn't make any difference. The one I have now is the newest on the actual cards manufacturer site, I thought maybe that would work, but no change.

As for the hardware acceleration, I tried that myself recently. Double checked with trying again just now. With it disabled none of my games will even launch, everything won't run without 3d and graphic card.

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    You dont remember what you did before that probl? What update from msoft,another faulty program? You can try to forget winxp and give a shot to win 8.1 64 90days eval from msoft. You never know what new os give you a boost and repair problems even on old systems. Or check voltages of your psu:3.3,5,12v. :)