Ubisoft: Deactivated Far Cry 4 keys were stolen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over the weekend we already reported that batches of Far Cry 4 keys purchased at third-party key sellers might be blocked by Ubisoft as there was something fishy going on. It now is clear that the k...

Ubisoft: Deactivated Far Cry 4 keys were stolen

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If this is true, and if the guy really stole the keys, both of which I can't judge, I only feel my opinion confirmed: People wanted to get the best cheapes price for the game and got scammed. I am not moved in any emotional matter at all...

But there's a lot of money running through those keysellers / resellers, if a game only and itself is giving off €150k, and they have thousands of them...

3. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    That is horrible, but ubi did the right thing. Store is responsible for providing the legit keys. They should do the background check for the key distributor if they care. So ppl who got scammed just make G2A to get working one or refund money. When ever I got cd keys that wouldn`t work stores have fixed the problem way or another.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering current refund value which is likely far from final I say:
    That is a lot of credit cards used. Or was that just one pretty thick?
    Because if you get somewhere credit information for average guy like me, you can pull from it like 150-200 games only.
    And once I realize (pretty soon, not after 6 months) they in reaction block those 150-200 copies, not few thousands.

It looks like there was fraud indeed, but right question is: "What allowed this situation?"
    Did origin allow one credit card to get few thousands of copies? We call it Red Flag!

It is apparent lack of cognitive computing and proof that "dumb" financial systems are not made for world we live in today.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Most likely I believe it to be a rather easy business model of credit card fraud. You can buy sets of 15, 50, or even hundreds of such numbers on the right forums. I'm fairly sure there's bots for such sales too, which use the database's 'stolen' credit card numbers.

But, and that's where I question the methods too, is why the debit cards or payments haven't been revoked earlier... I myself have two weeks to tell my bank something's wrong at best, and I wonder if those keys were in use for months now, or if they've been bought recently (like in the last two weeks).

6. nekrik

nekrik Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    So UbiSoft wants to say that months after release they only now found out that some of their keys were stolen, after hundreds or maybe thousands of keys sold. Smelling Fishy to me.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    They most likely chose the lazy way of finding out what keys were "stolen" by waiting for them to be activated. Its not like Ubi cares about its customers.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I can give you an answer concerning my key upon that.
    For the last two weeks.

9. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I'm wondering how you imagine things working at Ubisoft's offices. In your mindseye you see a salesperson walking down the aisle in an office, long rows of computers to the left and right of her. Suddenly she pauses, eyeing a terminal suspiciously. She picks up the monitor and shakes it, listening carefully. "There are no licence keys in this terminal," she shouts. "Get me security now!"

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the info. I just meant, maybe they keys were (ilegally) bought two weeks ago, then sold to the keyseller site, and somewhat close to two weeks of time, the owner(s) of the debit card(s) noticed his/her/their problem and revoked the payment, and so it came to be known to be a fraud.
    That's what I thought of it, very vaguely tried to make any sense of this.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I only have one question:

If keys were purchased via stolen money (credit cards and such), will the money be returned by all the involved parties, including Ubisoft, to the entities that it was stolen from?

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm assuming EA sold the keys back to Ubisoft when all this kicked off as Origin no longer sells them.

The only people to lose out on this are the key sites who got ripped off by the Russian guy.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm confused at how you can even do this with Origin. Don't you need an Origin account to buy a game from them? And then doesn't the key automatically register with your account? I didn't know you could buy multiple copies of the game from them and they would just give you the keys.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've bought Steamworks games on Origin, it does show in your account but it's a Steam key you receive.
    I'm guessing it's the same with Uplay keys.

Multiple copies I don't think so, but maybe multiple accounts using the same credit card.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is magical...

If someone gets to your credit card and purchases anything with it, you basically have certain amount of time to involve your Bank.
    ->If you manage to find it in time frame (based on your insurance) you get back money from bank.
    - Selling company will not be asked to return money they got from thief.
    - Police looks for thief.

->If you don't manage to find it in time frame (based on your insurance) you your insurance is for nothing and your account will remain empty.
    - Selling company will not be asked to return money they got from thief.
    - Police looks for thief.

That is how it is in most countries. If you don't even have your cards ensured, you have no chance of getting your money back unless police gets thief and money from him.
    Company selling to fraudulent thief in any case keeps money.

This is how Banking operates in most of countries unless local law says otherwise.
    Why? Because If someone takes your money on street and you do not have magical insurance, you are not going to get your money back.

Anyway This raises question why (or if) UBI returned money to those damaged (Bank/card owners) this is where insurance should come in. And decided to cause damage to nothing suspecting game users.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    This. Customers that payed for keys get stripped of the keys, but company that stripped the keys get's to keep the money. The question is then why did they stripped the keys if they keep the money? There can only be one answer to that...

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The merchant (in this case EA) is the one responsible for refunding the person who had their card details stolen.
    Not the card company, especially when the CD key sites are claiming the original merchant should of done more.

We don't know if EA claimed that money back from Ubisoft though.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    EA or Ubisoft should step up and be the heroes and give these people new keys. This kind of thing could do wonders for their image

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure I understand why, nobody forced people to buy the keys from a different source....

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They have essentially been caught handling stolen goods and will be getting a refund.

Why should they then get a free game?