Living in Capital Cities... (London)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BLEH!, Jan 26, 2015.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Gurus

As a few of you know I moved to London a few months back for a year (new job). Thought it'd be a good opportunity, and on the work front, it has been. Social wise, however, this is a god-damned miserable place to live. Being a Northerner (from up Manchester way, 200 miles/300 km give or take), I've basically left behind my family, most of my friends, and most of my stuff. In return I've moved somewhere horrendously expensive (the rent is 3 x my old place), polluted (constantly coughing/struggling to breathe), rude (you can't strike up a conversation with anyone), noisy (a given, really), and generally horrid place I've ever been to. Yes I've met new people who have helped the move a bit (and the cheap beer of working at a uni helps, been drinking far more than I probably should be), but still, that doesn't really offset the hellishness of this urban death maze (10 points if you get that reference). I love my job, but I don't think I can stay here any longer than my contract for the good of my health/sanity (finish in Sept, nominally), though my boss wants to keep me on as long as possible. I'm at the stage in life now (27) where I'd like to settle down and think about buying a house, etc., but on the meagre wage of a university researcher (c.a. £30k/year), that's just not viable in this craphole of a city, given the horrendous cost of housing.

Any advice?

Cheers

BLEH!

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're not happy, can't breathe, and can't really settle down in London with your current earnings ... I think you should leave when you can.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Move out of the hell hole and to a better place where you can feel comfortable. Being miserable is not good for you even in short run. Even if you love your job if everything else is **** it ain't worth it.

4. strosun

strosun Guest

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Yes, I agree with you.

5. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I wouldnt want to live in London! Move somewhere else mate! Many better cities in UK than London!

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Unfortunately, for the "industry" I'm in (academia), experience in places such as London is required as are a lot of research papers, which I am getting here. Where do you draw the line between career and life, though?

7. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    pick an 1 hour destination with the subway , and rent an appartment there...

Stay as long as you can , saving money and gaining job experience

Once you hit lvl 90 you can head to Draenor and build your dream Garrison

8. chimchim

chimchim Guest

GPU:
    nothing
    Get back up to Manny and leave the southern fairies to it

9. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    This. Until you get all the experience you need you're going to have to suck it up. I grew up in Harrow (NW, zone 4/5). Lovely part of the world (well, it used to be).

Check out Balham for a place to live, nice bars, people etc... http://balham.com/

10. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    BLEH!

A lot of ppl live outside of London and then get the train back in or ride. Ppl that I know do at least.

My bro used to have to work in London and moved to Stevenage for almost a year.

Maybe you can do the same?

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    London is a big city, it's not all that bad, you just have to know where to look, live, etc...

However, I have to agree rent is VERY expensive...

I could say the same thing about Dubai where I currently live. Noisy, polluted, 24/7 traffic, constant car accidents and stressful. :)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I lived in London in the past. Didn't enjoy it. You get stuck and sucked in. I sold my car, because there's no need to have one when you live in London.

It was too busy and exhausting. Living a 45m train journey from London is much better. I get to live in the beautiful Hampshire countryside and I get to go to London whenever I choose to.

Don't get me wrong, I love the city for a good day out, plenty of great restaurants and boozers to enjoy, also a lot of history. The place itself is amazing. I just wouldn't want to live there.

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    After commuting 4 hours daily into London for my career, i am finally moving on.

I will now be working 20mins away and my yearly commuting cost will fall from £6250 to just £380!!!

I cannot wait. I did enjoy working where i worked but i will not miss the commute.

Central London is a hole, the outskirts ie Watford / Kent etc are not too bad at all.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    As others have suggested, try moving outside of London and commuting. If it's important to your future career to have experience while working there, stick it out for a year or two and start saving/planning where you can to move elsewhere. I'm not keen on London, great for a day out but I definitely wouldn't want to live there.

15. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Pretty much the same with what I want to write, because that's what I do. One hour motorcycle ride from home to work.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I already live on the very edge of London, but rents don't drop that much by going much further out if that makes sense. Everything about this city leaches all the money out of you.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    living in the country side can be as expensive as living in London, honestly. Where I live, the property value is through the roof.

There's a lot of millionaires around who prefer to live here. Property price reflects that. Some of the villages are really picturesque, but the prices are omg.

18. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Emigrate before the right rises further.

Can you imagine the south after UKIP get more legit seats in parliament ?

19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    30k? didnt you have a phd in computing? You should look for something better

When I was looking for, 35-40k pounds was the "target" salary for me (25 YO), luckily I found something more or less the same salary in Madrid so I can go by car to my homeland easily (and that money in Madrid is enough for a studio in a good part near my job).

Btw, 300km is nothing, just 3h and a half driving, you can drive that to see ur family.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  20. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    30k ain't a bad wage.