Windows 10 update enabled DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Interesting, if you have been playing around with the preview build of Windows 10, then you will have noticed that after you updated it it now has DirectX 12 support. If you look at the screenshot bel...

Windows 10 update enabled DirectX 12

2. ZETT

ZETT Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G 970 GTX @1560/8100
    does not support w 8.1 ?

3. NoClip

NoClip Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    No you will not. All the performance gains and some of the new features will be seen on current GPUs (Fermi and later Nvidia GPUs, and any AMD GCN GPUs), the game just needs to be DX12.

You only need a DX12 GPU for some of the new graphics features that will be introduced. Like with DX11 and tessellation, DX12 will have some new features that require new hardware.

DX12 will be Win10 only. But Win10 will be a free upgrade to all Win7 and 8.1 users anyway.

These are the facts, straight from MS. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    No driver/game support is just meh right now.

5. lantian

lantian Guest

why do people seem surprised, back when 7 was launching we where still on 10 and there where no drivers for dx11, yet even the first build's of 7rc had dx11 in them, i was more surprised it took them this long to put dx12 in there when on w7 it was there from the very start, now to only get a benchmark for it, but judging from w7 time it won't be available for at least another 3 months

6. jamek

jamek Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    GTX 9xx are directX 12 ready, so they can enjoy it right now :grad:

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    With what? There are no DX12 games out yet

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I dont think nvidia drivers are ready yet for it.

according to the nvidia control panel its only picking up 11.1

I was going to check dxdiag.exe yesterday but ran out of time.

edit:

wow should of read the artical before I replied...lol

I really need sleep.

edit: wish they would go back to showing directx files and file version in the dxdiage program like they did for older dxdiag version. it would also show if there was problems with one of the directx files. which helped out with solving problems. unlike now when its a guessing game trying to figured out if and what directx file is causing problems.

9. jamek

jamek Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    you're right, even in the futur the only game annonced with it will be Fable legends.

i wonder if the next drivers will bring it to the GCN and kepler/fermi...

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

It took a while for DX11 games to show their heads too though, and now we have loads, so nothing to worry about really

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Neither NVidia nor AMD are going to waste resources on Windows10/DirectX 12 drivers for public use before Windows10 reaches consumer preview.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't even think it's supported in a public release of any engine yet. I know Epic has internal builds of UE running it but they are working with Microsoft on the development of that.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its funny how simple software update can bring DX12 to last generation GPU's. :D

14. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    DirectX12 is a different approach. It's still not clear, but some features might require DX12 hardware.

15. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I wonder if this is the full version DirectX 12. If so it would be cool if someone could look in to the new dx files to find out what features are new to dx12 that are supposed to be announced at GDC or wherever this year.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As was the case with DX11 and prior, there are some features at software level and some at hardware level. The software level features of DX12 will work with DX10/11 hardware. The hardware level features will actually require DX12 hardware.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That being said - how many DX12 hardware features do you think would work on the R5/R7/R9 2XX series? I still can't seem to get a complete answer on that.

Considering modern consoles are based on the RX 2XX series, I'm not TOO concerned about games that use DX12 hardware features incompatible with my GPU.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I kinda wish Hilbert or someone would do a write up on what is supporting what. Basically as it stands now there are "5" new major features coming with DX12:

Rasterizer Ordered Views
    Typed UAV Load
    Volume Tiled Resources
    Conservative Rasterization

And the "5th" being low level access. (I'm calling that a feature).

Now it's also stated by Anandtech that "It should be noted at this point in time this is not an exhaustive list of all of the new features that we will see, and Microsoft is still working to define a new feature level to go with them"

So there could possibly be more.

For Nvidia, AFAIK, all cards Fermi and up will support the low level access feature. Maxwell supports all 5 features. As for newer features that Microsoft has yet to talk about, I have no idea if Maxwell supports those or not.

For AMD, AFAIK, all cards R7+ will support low level access. As far as the others, I don't think they've specifically stated that R9 can support those features but Mantle does implement some of them. For example "Volume Tiled Resources" is essentially the same thing as "Partially Resident Textures". The other features are also partially/fully integrated via other methods with GCN/Mantle. I'm pretty sure they can extend those features to support DX12 -- which if that's the case any card that has Mantle support should technically have full DX12 support. (Again, this is just my theory).

But yeah -- Hilbert if you could get in contact with AMD/Nvidia and get a definitive answer on what is supporting what I think that would be interesting to see.

Edit: And then another question I guess I'd have is -- what incentive do developers have to implement these features via software on older generation cards?

I mean let's say UE4 supports DX12 and Epic decided to do some low level optimizations Maxwell, maybe some of those will be compatible with Kepler because the architectures are similar -- but Fermi? I mean DX12 is a huge burden to the software developer, which is why only big engines will support it, but are they really going to do heavy optimizations for architectures that are years old? I doubt it.

19. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    hmmm...thought this was already the consumer preview, MS just continues calling it the tech preview.
    But you are right, absolutely no need to show off DX12 when there is not even a tech demo using it available.
    Besides, the 8.1 drivers are working flawless.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Consumer preview will be called Consumer preview

Next month