Which VGA to choose?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JonasLT, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JonasLT

JonasLT Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
    Hey guys i'm looking to upgrade my video card(HD 6950 atm)
    I am choosing between GTX970(Gigabyte) and HD 290X(MSI or Gigabyte).
    So which one?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would recommend you grab some H97 board + i5 first. Not really worth running those card with your current CPU.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You really do need a new CPU to go with something like a GTX 970 or HD 290X. You will be severely bottlenecked, even at 3.8GHz it's so much slower clock for clock than a Haswell chip that a new video card wouldn't be properly utilized.

Personally I would go with a 970, and of all the 970s the only two I've confirmed to have proper cooling (VRMs and everything properly taken care of) are the MSI GAMING 4G and Asus Strix models. They cost as much as $50 more depending where you buy, but their cooling is well worth it. Never buy a high end card with a crappy cooler, the Gigabyte model doesn't appear to have proper VRM cooling, just general crap sticker sticking it to part of the main sink. At least that's what I thought I saw in Google images, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. JonasLT

JonasLT Guest

GPU:
    what about g1 gaming model from gigabyte?

5. JonasLT

JonasLT Guest

GPU:
    since this thing with memory alocation thing came out,should i take 290x instead?
    i will play games at 1080p resolution...

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Nah its fine, the 970 will pwn that r9 290x even with that weird issue.

Doubt you'll hit 3.5GB anyway anytime soon. Unless you play downsampled 4k skyrim with monstrous ENB.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wouldn't worry about that crap at all. Unless you intend to run settings the card wasn't designed to run in the first place, it will do just fine.

Simply put, the R9 290X and GTX970 will both "choke" at the same settings in the same games....

8. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB REV3
    I have to say that the AMD cards (R9 Series) seem to be beating the Nvidia series on specs, in my opinion. I am waiting on a delivery of new PC parts. With it is a Gigabyte 280X that I know will beat out what I have now by a great amount.

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah those specs, mhm so good.

10. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB REV3
    On that first one, they are running dual setups. Both are pretty much the same for first & second. The 295x2 in Position 3, on its own however, is way out ahead of any of the others below it.

On the last two, the 295x2 isn't even part of their benchmark tests.

Besides all that, I stated "specs" not "results" which are related, but are not the same thing. Nvidia holds the market, so developers tend to create games and software to work better in conjunction with the Nvidia GPU's.

In any case, the 295x2 will beat them all out of the water. If you CFX the 295x2, forget it, Not going to catch up with any combination of other 2 cards.

You have provided a poor argument.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD is winning on paper..... If you read the specs, AMD is ahead. They just aren't ahead in what actually matters. Application of specs....

R9 295X2 is a dual-GPU card. If it can't outperform single-GPU cards, there's no reason for it to exist. On the other hand, for the cost of an R9 295X2, you can go GTX970 SLI and use less power while getting better performance.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Of course the 295x2 wins, its two gpu's. What a surprise.

As per specs nVidia is ahead for now. I don't even consider anything rumoured about 380/390 real.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's no reason to. Nothing about the cards has actually been confirmed. Until they're actually reviewed/released, they might as well be considered vaporware.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would ignore the 290x and just go either 970 or 290. Both are great cards, the 970 is slightly faster but the 290 is quite a bit cheaper where I live. Not sure about the pricing where you are. But, you can't go wrong with either.

15. JonasLT

JonasLT Guest

GPU:
    got GTX970 G1 Gaming,its so amazing :D