Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Vs Samsung Note Edge. Which one?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by kanej2007, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This is for my younger brother. He has been bugging me for the last few days regarding these two devices.

He is unable to decide which one to buy since they are so similar.

Apart from the curved edge on the edge model, they are both identical in specification.

My opinion was to try out both devices before making a decision.

That said, I suggested he go for the Note Edge despite costing significantly more.

Reason being it actually looks different than any other smartphone. The very first to feature an unusual edge that slopes down one side.

As we all know, almost every Samsung phone looks exactly the same ever since the Galaxy series was released. I previously owned the Galaxy, Note 2 & even Note 3.

When the Note 3 was released, the new Sony Xperia series came out at the same time.

Since the extra large Z Ultra was available having a larger screen, better looks/build quality and cheaper in price, I went for Sony.

I wanted something different and got sick of the Same Samsung look...

Should my brother go for the Note 4, once again it's identical to every other Samsung. The Edge at least looks different and in a good way.

I tried asking him to wait several months for the new Sony Xperia Z4 range which will spank the Galaxy Note 4 in every possible way but he's an impatient bugger as every other 13 year old is.

So, which of the two above devices? Thanks gurus.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    note 4. no mistake. used it . loved it. still have it.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Ok, but why not the edge? The only issue with the edge it costs substantially more, there is no offer on it whereas the Note 4 is around $120 cheaper...

4. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Does the look worth the price difference?

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Not for me it doesn't...

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Update. My brother was bought the Note 4 since it was on offer & far cheaper than the edge...

He'll be happy since it's identical to the edge apart from looks...

7. markklok

markklok Guest

GPU:
    7970 4gb
    I'd go with the note 4... Round edges look nice.. but how practical can it be....

8. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    you are paying a bit more for edge because its the only one of its kind.
    for myself, I chose note 4 because its conventional design (no edge) and because of that I will have access to larger array of ported roms.
    That will guarantee my future software upgrade, where i wont have to wait for samsung to release it.
    my two cents (i always root \ install custom rom, don't care about warranty)

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Also - GearVR doesn't support Edge if that matters.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The Note Edge is a prototype device with a proprietary API that's hoping for developers to catch on and develop with it in mind.

We know how that always goes. In terms of support, ROMs and whatnot, the Note 4 will have the edge (pun intended).

Until a tactile edge that has dynamic buttons becomes a native feature included in many phones, driven by one API backed by Google itself, as part of Android, it's hard for the Edge to be anything more than a gimmick, even if the feature turned out useful. Not many will jump on board when it's on only one, expensive phablet.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You're absolutely right. The Note Edge has very few roms/tweaks and development...

Glad my brother got the Note 4 in the end...

Now he's nagging that I root it. :D

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The Edge wouldn't have allowed you to install a tempered glass protector on it like you can with your Note 4. I highly recommend them, I got one on my S5, it's extremely hard to scratch and it's pretty decent protection for the screen. They all claim 9H hardness which is 100% BS but the higher quality ones are hard enough to take a long time to scratch.

And personally I don't know how satisfying the Note Edge's gimmick would be, it might even be annoying.

13. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ^ sir, You cant install tempered glass on normal note 4 either. its edges are slanted (sort of) so your glass protector is always a bit lifted from edges, making a sort of bubble all around.
    only solution is regular clear \ matte film screen protector.

14. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Guest

GPU:
    WB Asus Tuf 4090
    This isn't true at all I have a tempered glass protector on mine. Works great zero isdues.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You're right. And the very first thing my bro asked me to do was install a screen protector on his Note 4 the very second he unboxed it...

Yesterday evening, he was playing some 4k demo video, animals and wildlife content...

Anyway, I put my Sony Xperia Z Ultra alongside his Note 4 to compare...

I was put to shame since my screen is only 1920x1080P and his screen is 2560 x 1440. Colours, contrast and detail are outstanding...

I simply replied that I've pre-ordered the Sony Xperia Z4 Ultra having the same screen, only bigger, plus the 810 processor and 4Gb of ram...

It's just us being jealous from each other and wanting to have the best device. :D

16. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

+1 I have one on my Note 4 as well and its fine....

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    any hep pls. i cant root my Note 4 overhere..the guides on internet r just awful skilled :(

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Come on Bigtime, it's easy!

Follow this guide, pretty easy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/orig-development/sm-n910-cf-auto-root-t2897428

Main steps, easy, no? :)

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practice!)

Remember to download the correct CF Auto Root package for your Note 4!!!

You have the international version, Korean, Chinese, Asian version, etc...

Find out from the settings of your phone, device/about phone to see the version you have...

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thank u very much. such great help from great person. god bless you :)

i rooted Galaxy tab and lenovo yoga tablet 10" without a problem. but HTC DESIRE EYE and NOTE 4 seems hard :(

i iwll do what u say thank u :)

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You're most welcome. I just hope you manage to root your Note 4 without any issues.

Let us know once you have root access!

Best of luck.