Choosing a power supply for this rig

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by zara, Dec 22, 2014.

1. zara

zara Guest

GPU:
    1024MB GeForce GTX 280M
    After the new year I'm building a new rig. I do plan on overclocking it. I just don't know which power supply I should choose for my current needs, and planned upgrades within the first year. The only change I'm currently planning on is replace the 4TB Seagate storage drive, with their 8TB Shingled drive. (PC Part Picker doesn't have it listed in their drop down) I don't know how much that would bump my wattage up by. Other than that I do plan on replacing the CPU and motherboard once Skylake comes out, and probably going to 3 way SLI sometime in the next 3 years with whatever card is around the $500 to $600 price range then. So, does the Corsair 1500 Titanium power supply seem like over kill for the changes to the system currently planned?

Current Build

2. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
  3. zara

zara Guest

GPU:
    1024MB GeForce GTX 280M
    Yeah, that's a helpful tool. It did help me find the minimum range for a power supply, with one at 1,000 W. It doesn't list the CPU I'm getting though. Is it true that you want to stay at 50%-60% of the PSU's rating to maximize performance and keep it quiet?

4. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    From the power supply reviews I've read, yea, if you want it quiet and efficient. I'm right in that range ( 50 to 60% usage on load ) with my setup and it's very quiet and from what the reviews say, it's most efficient in that range.

People may disagree with me, but as far as brands go, Seasonic, EVGA, and Corsair make good PSUs. I also read good things about Superflower.

With brands like EVGA and Corsair, the better models have better guts made by better companies. For instance, my Corsair CX unit is made by Channelwell. It's not a bad company, but Corsair's upper series have guts from Seasonic.

Refer to this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html

5. zara

zara Guest

GPU:
    1024MB GeForce GTX 280M
    Thanks, it looks like my chosen power supply is about right in that case.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd guess 1500w is probably a little overkill, but I'd rather have too much than too little.