Scaffolding

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Our landlord wanted a new roof on our house, he p1ssed about and finally after 5-6 quotes got his 70 year old father in law to do it, which needless to say took 2-3 weeks longer than a firm would have taken

Anyway, we put up with it, and let them get on with it, the work was finished 2 weeks ago and since then we've been asking him to get the scaffolding taken down, at least before Xmas

As usual, excuses excuses, until today - the front of the house was taken down - then they went home and decided to leave the rear of the house looking like a building site - so I warned the landlord many times if it wasn't down today, Id have it taken down - which I've done myself and left everything in the back lane, Im fully within my rights to do this, I checked before I did it

Wondering if anyone else has had a$$hole landlords like this

We explained to him that we wanted our house back to normal for Xmas, and that the work was finished over 2 weeks ago, not unreasonable at all

Anyway, I moved what I could move without tools, and from Citizens advice site I was well within my rights to do so

Can't stand private landlords

2. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    The Two different private landlords I have had, had been rather nice about everything. I have been lucky with that at least.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ever asked for anything that will cost them money?

4. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    So far I have only had to really ask one about that, there was flooding and told them that it needed to be fixed or else it will only get worse, and they knew that much.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's how this started, there was a rain storm and the kitchen decided to soak us, landlord decided months ago we needed a new roof, then chose winter to bodge job it

6. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    I always move out when landlord starts to prolong any repairs. It means that he/she will make more problems in the future. Right now i live in a place where the owner comes by at least 2 times a month to ask how things are. Awesome guy. Don't have to ask twice for anything. I also have a friend who rent from terrible landlord. His scaffolding was up for over 3 months ;] The other guy renting from same landlord was without roof for over a month. Wasn't fun for him, but it was hilarious for me to see rain water inside light bulbs ;D

7. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Send him an invoice for your time and labor :wanker:

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

Dude, you need to show us why you're within your rights before we can cast assertions on either side of the argument.

Right now, I reckon you're in the wrong if you dismantled a scafolding company's structure without permission, approved license and/or knowledge of what you were actually doing from a legal point of view.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Go read up on it then, like I did before I touched anything

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Looks like word got out, scaffold guys have just turned up in the almost dark to remove what's left of their stuff

11. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I was training to be a scaffolder...but I didn't get enough support.

I'll get my coat...

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I go by my investments 1 time a week to do outside maintenance and repairs are done promptly but it sucks on the other hand when I get a tenant that does not tell me of leaky faucet or whatever else I cant see
    its my dam house don't mess it up.
    but in your case a roof leak is emergency get it done fast well before onset of winter.
    all my tenants now are cool thuo they know I care for my house,i even put one up in MY house for two days in the summer when a tree fell on a power line in 95+f
    I fed them in ac they had there own floor and was ok but they smoked all my weed they did not want to go :wanker:
    but I am not like most people either because I know some landlords are dicks

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Be very careful. Yes you are within your right to remove bits of scaffolding, but what if the scaffolding became "damaged" and needed replacing at your "expense"? Could be due to the apparent way you dismantled it or stored it once taken down.

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    In my exp. it goes both ways, some landlords are jerks and some renters are losers. If you can get a good renter with a good landlord it's a wonderful thing. I've rented twice, first time was from a wonderful old(er) couple that lived across the street and both cared about the property and had the money to do anything that needed doing. The other time was from a big company that owned over a thousand apartments and they were very slow about getting work done (although they never gave any hassle about it other then the waiting). On the other hand my parents had a couple places over the years that they rented and about 1 in 4 renters was someone you could trust to pay the rent on time and not trash the place. :/

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well I've been a tenant here for 6 years come January, always paid my rent on time, every time, taken good care of the house, fixed things I could fix, waited months for the landlord to fix things I couldn't fix

I checked up on what I was and wasn't allowed to do with the scaffold, and because the job was finished weeks ago, and we have been asking the landlord/scaffolding company to take it down for weeks, we were perfectly entitled to do with it whatever we chose, I chose to take it off the property and into the lane behind the house, which worked as the next day they decided after now coming up to 3 weeks, that they suddenly found the time that they couldn't find since the roof was finished

They were using our house as a storage yard for their stuff, no 2 ways about it

It took them 15 mins to remove the front, and about 25 to remove the back, any company has 40 mins to spare at some point in 3 weeks

Landlord swore blind he had asked them multiple times to remove it, we have texts from him to prove that, he used family for absolutely every part of the job, which I'm told has just voided his house insurance as none of them are qualified roofers, I don't know about that, I`ll have to check up, sounds about right though - the scaffold company are his daughters boyfriends firm - no signs on the scaffold, no signs on their van - just a bunch of cowboys hired to do everything

Anyway, now the two upstairs bedrooms are getting black mould marks on the ceiling, Im assuming from either weeks of having no tiles, or a bodge job

They cut my phone line, knocked my satellite dish out of line so we get no signal, put their foot through one of the bedroom ceilings, cut my hosepipe, wrecked yard brushes, turned the bedrooms mouldy, cut the TV aerial so when it rains we lose signal due to water inside the house in the cable, the list goes on

So yea, I think I was more than entitled to get p1ssed off somewhat

And after all those things they did to ruin my home, that Ive looked after since I moved in, they've now decided to stick all the blame on me for removing the scaffold, Im not worried or fussed as I know my rights, but just goes to show their level of professionalism - 0%

Do a cowboys job, then blame the tenant when it all goes wrong

EDIT - An example of their incompetence / purposeful destruction as those bolts are manually tightened, you can't not see a phone line when it's that close to the bolts you are staring at tightening

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

16. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

Why would I do that ? I'm not in a situation that requires me to do so.

If you read up on it then simply reveal to us your source. Always is nice to be armed with knowledge.

17. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I use scaffold & work with scaffs all the time & I won't be surprised if you get into trouble for taking down scaffold, Scaff tags & access are removed on domestic properties to stop people doing what you have done & people/kids from climbing on it, you could kill yourself also when no scaff tags are in place & upto date with inspection certs it is illegal to use the scaffold.