New built after 2weeks, bios screen wont show up sometimes and wont boot to win!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Khongx, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Khongx

Khongx Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 970 sli 2way
    I have posted on tom's hardware but didnt get much help, so can u guys help me out?

Just as the title says, I'm not sure if it defective or something wrong? I just built this PC 2 weeks ago, and during the 2 weeks I didnt turn of my PC much, but each time I turn it off completely I can turn if back on no problem. But 2 days ago, while playing far cry 4, the game crashed and my mouse+keyboard won't responded, so I had to cool-boot it, by holding the power button down until it shut down, and turn it back on. Then something odd happened, the power is on and fans are running, but both my monitors are black, I can't see the bios screen at all. So I pressed the restart button a few times(3-4times), and the bios screen pop-up. I found that was odd, so I shut down again and wait for few minutes to turn it back on, cuz I want to know if it happen 1 time only or every time I shut down it completely and try to turn it back on. So this time it was the same thing, (4-5times of pressing the restart button) for the bios screen to pop up. Sometimes after a successful boot up to window and login my user acc, the screens frozen of and had to do a cool-boot again (which take few restart button spamming to get it up)
    This is was I tried during the last 2days.
    -Disable sli gtx 970 sc axc2.0 ( after searching around the webs, I saw bunch ppl having the black screen at boot for gtx 970/980)
    -Update my bios version to the newest.
    -Switch out the graphic card and test each of them (both gtx 970)
    -Took both gtx 970 out and put my old gtx 9800 in
    -Took out the ram and test 1 by 1
    -Switch a diff PSU
    -Did a reset of the CMOS
    -Tested each monitor 1 by 1 (samsung S24D390, samsung S24B300, samsung syncmaster 2253lw)
    -I switch to the other bios but still didnt help, i took my old ram and tested that too
    Well, the pc get frozen up easily when i play heavy graphic games like far cry4, the crew, bf4....each time it happen i will the a buzzzzzz sound and have to hold the power button to turn off, and if it on successfully the first or second time the normally the screens get frozen up after 2-3mintues the window was loaded. Weird thing was i can see some of the stuff still running like the stuff on bf4 website still running but my keyboard and mouse wont respond
    Cpu temp around 42 (480-500 fan rpm?)
    Both gpus around 55 (2500+ rpm)

-reinstalled the cpu i shut down and boot up successfully 5 times in the row, then the 6th time the bios stuck at B4. For that point on it back to the problem again

-my mouse and wireless adapter were in the 3.0 port on the back of the case, so i change them both to 2.0 port because of the B4 error

Both my SSD and HD are clean and new, but i put in another HD from my old build so I can still have my old stuff, i'll try using my gateway mouse and see what happen. but should i format my old HD that i put in? Cuz I check on the bios there the boot priority it seem like it can't read my SSD and HDs sometimes, all it has for 3 options was "??", but when i check what plugged in my motherboard then I can see it can read the SSD and both HDs

-I dont think the problem is the hdd from old pc, cuz i unplug both hdd and the problem remain

But none of these change anything. Oh and btw, where is the POSTCODE for this mobo?

This is my build, and I didn't overclock anything.

OS - Win8.1 Pro (64bits)
    Mobo - MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    Process - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
    GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
    PSU - EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    SSD - Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    HD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x2
    Monitors - Samsung S24D390, and Samsung S24B300 (both using hdmi and plugged in the top card, I used a dvi to hdmi for one, cuz a single card doesn't have 2 hdmi)
    CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

mobo temp is around 25-28degrees
    cpu around 32degrees, when in idle on window and load a 2D game than around 30-42 degrees
    oh, and when I run Heaven Benchmark and Valley Benchmark to test out my GPUs, sometimes it finish without a problem, but sometimes the screen frozen right after the score screen pop up, and my primal GPU temp is around 70, the other is around 60

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That system is crying out for at least a mild overclock ;). It is relevant, since then you would consider at least bumping the voltages slightly. It sounds to me one of the various voltage settings is too low. This may be as a result of the hardware mix including the PSU.

Are you using true UEFI boot or legacy boot? True UEFI boot you should see the motherboard logo until the actual Windows desktop appears. Yes, that means the motherboard logo showing even when Windows is loading. Won't solve your problem, just a side consideration.

As I said, bump all the voltages a touch, and change the CPU load level, maybe one level. Leave it as auto for the actual voltage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  3. Khongx

Khongx Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 970 sli 2way
    After changing the voltages of VCCIN Voltage 2.0v and CPU Core Voltage 1.2V, first reboot the bios was up successfully so I turn it off to test will it boot up 100% everytimes, and after few unsuccessful booting, I got a black screen saying, The previous overclocking have failed, system has been restored to its default settings. I also, ran a memtest86 on 1 ram stick and the result was 0 error, but I still having hard time to boot up and see the bios screen