Boot problems after upgrading to a GTX 970.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by highvoltage92, Dec 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    Hello guys,

Just upgraded to an MSI GTX 970, did a 3D Mark vantage benchmark and got a score of 44K. When I started to play AC blak flag for about 48 minutes, my PC shut down without a warning. I started the game again and PC shut down after only 5 minutes or less of gameplay. The same process continued until I couldn't even get to windows or even see the BIOS screen sometimes.
    Same problem whn I put an old 9800gtx+ that requires 2 power cables.
    Do you think my PSU is dying ? if so, how could it run 3D Mark Vantage GPU test and 48 munites of AC blak flag without a problem ?
    what do you think guys, I really need some help here and I can't get a good PSU here in my country so easily.

Additional informations :
    1-This PSU powred a 9800gtx+ for 2 years and a 660ti GTX for 1 year and half.
    2-I've Tried donwclocking my CPU from 4.2 to 3.8Ghz, in order get some extra power room and it didnt work.
    3-Tried to run the system with a graphics card that doesn't require any power cable and it worked fine so PCI-e slot is fine.
    4-PC configuration is :
    Motherboeard : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    PSU : Antec Earthwatts 500W
    CPU : 3570K @4.2 and then @3.8
    GPU : MSI 970 GTX
    RAM : 4x2 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
    Storage : 2 HDD + 1 SSD
    Cooling : Cooler Master Evo with 2 fans + 1 back panel fan

Thanks for any help and sorry for my bad english.

2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    500watt psu is the minimum for a 970,an looking at your other gear id say you need a bigger psu

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Pretty typical signs of a PSU in it's death roes. They all die sometime, running Vantage with the 970 just sucked out what little life it had left.

What's your budget?

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I'd say a near-dead PSU. Is there a friend/shop nearby where you could test with another PSU? Always double-check ;)

5. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    I don't have any other PSU to test with, I can get the Seasonic m12 ii evo 850W, that has been used for like 4 months. Should I go for it ? Do you think the motherboard could have a link with the problem ?

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Seasonic produces high quality units 9/10 times, should be good.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=356

And why used for only 4 months? Where/who are going to buy it from? And yes it could be the mobo... Thing I doubt the most is the amps on the 12v rail(s?) IIRC they have 2 12v rails with 16-17 amps each, which I seriously wouldn't recommend for a high-end GPU.

7. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    so that's 3 years +, overclocked cpu, some extra time give or take, i think that psu did it's service and the answer to your question is obvious: Psu must be replaced.

My word of advice is to NOT buy a USED psu, or you will be on doubt again if any issues might happen.

Save for a brand new psu, or wait till you have some money to do so, you never know how the guy selling you the used psu took care of it.

8. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    The guys is a PC hardware seller, he bought a whole PC from his trusted friend himself and he suggested that he could sell to PSU to me, the Seasonic. He's the one also from whom I bought the brand new GTX 970.

Do you think my PSU amps aren't enough ?..

9. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Hmmm, it's just personal preference to buy stuff new but if you trust him (can get a refund) you COULD try. Thing is that you should have some juice left on the 12v rail. Your graphics card isn't the only thing that uses the 12v line. Having a beefy 12v line(s) is required with high-end hardware to simply avoid issues like this. I have seen sooo many PC's running GTX 280's/470-480/290X/290/8800 etc etc and just shutting down while gaming/working. And most of the time it turned out to be a cheap PSU (damn you Sweex!).

Let's be honest, the Earthwatts are decent but not enough to support the upper echelon of high-end hardware.

In math terms: 12v1 and 12v2 rails provide 17 amps each, meaning 12x17=204 watt. Recommended amps for the 970 was 28 IIRC. Next is the age of the PSU (degradation) so let's say it is actually able to deliver 180w since the 204 is THEORETICAL, you see? It just isn't enough :) I don't know if it has 2x PCI-e connectors for each rail, and even then it wouldn't matter

Get a new one :p

10. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    How about a brand new cooler master G750M, would it be enough ? how about a room for SLI ?

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    nvm...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do you live in Oceania or Singapore?

Google photos show an AcBel Un number but a couple of sites claim OEM is CWT, without saying how they know.

JohnnyGuru or Phaedrus could tell you for sure, personally I would believe the images.

Either way, test results look good and it comes with a 5yr warranty. :thumbup:

13. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    I live in Morocco, seller is apparently dealing with the european market. After looking for some G750M reviews, only found results in french or british websites.

Thank you all guys ! your help was really really great :)

14. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    G750M will do :D

Your welcome!

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I didn't see this post.

That Seasonic is a killer PSU, even 2nd hand it will outperform the Cooler Master. Do u have a link?

What are your other options?

16. highvoltage92

highvoltage92 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    First I dont have any other options this moment. Second, I know Seasonic is a killer but, when I checked some reviews, I read that some of them broke in 2 or 10 months. People also stated that their costumer service is not good at all. Anyway, reviews for the G750M are good I think it's the right one to pick

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ive had half a dozen seasonic psus and not had a single issue.. Anyways everyone has duds

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    You'll hear b*tth*rt people scream the loudest. Proven. Seasonic overall is one of the best. Just make sure to check out unbiased reviews like Guru3D or Jonnyguru, especially the last one makes extremely detailed reviews. Every brand has duds or "less-than-optimal" series.