MSI Z97I GAMING ACK Mini-ITX motherboard released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Mini ITX is becoming a popular form factor as you can chuck these puppies full with high-end kit, yet design something tiny and small in size. MSI released the new Z97I GAMING ACK, a 17cm Mini-ITX mo...

MSI Z97I GAMING ACK Mini-ITX motherboard released

2. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    No reason they should of made this without ultra m2. Mini itx only uses 16 pci-e 3.0 lanes for the 1 slot. That leaves 4 open pci-e 3.0 lanes to the cpu which is what ultra m2 needs. The networking and usb's and such can all run through the pci-e 2.0 lanes off pch. Making this 1 tweak would of made a big difference.

Also when can we get some mini itx gtx 970 reviews showing the effects of a smaller heatsink vs regular cards so we can see what tradeoff is being made to go that small

3. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    It's so cute!

4. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You forget that the wireless is one that slot so maybe it must be compatibility reason why it that way.

5. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    the wireless can run off the pci-e 2.0 lanes off the z97 chipset tho with basically no performance difference. Then you have 4 lanes for an ultra m2 slot. You use the wireless and ethernet and usb ports off the z97 chipset pci-e 2.0 lanes

Ultra m2 on this board would of really helped out on it's appeal. The samsung sm951 1TB ultra m2 SSD thats coming out is begging for an empty ultra m2 slot. Native Pci-e 3.0 x4 interface + NVMe and 1Tb capacity in m2 size is gonna be an awesome SFF high performance enabler and also enable killing all 2.5" and 3.5" drives making the build even more compact with the optical killed off as well and a mini itx gtx 970 and either a low profile noctua mini itx air cooler which can still OC nicely or a closed loop 120/140mm water cooler you now have a tiny pc with more power than what what full atx used to be.

the 12.6L ncase M1 is basically the best high performance SFF case.

My bro's next build is going to be in an ncase m1. I would do it if the enthusiast line could fit on a mini itx board but those 2011 pin sockets are too big.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I just wonder if know that it has Ultra M.2 Slot on this board which where the wireless card but on bottom side of the motherboard.

7. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    throw one of the 970 direct CU MINIs in there with some kinda mini-cpu cooler and Bob's your uncle.
    *hoping for a 970 cu mini review.