[Help] Sound Blaster X7 & Logitech Z906

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jho9001, Dec 20, 2014.

1. jho9001

jho9001 Member

Yo Peeps,

I should get my hands on a Sound Blaster x7 (latest creative usb Amp/DAC), in order to get rid of the integrated audio card on my mobo (Asus Maximus VI Gene),that's gonna be plugged into a Logitech z906 5.1 Thx surround setup.

Still I have a very limited experience audiowise and I keep asking myself what would be the best way to connect the whole chain.

Until now I've been using the Optical Toslink Cable to connect the integrated realtek and the z906, using DTS-Connect. This way, if I got it right, the DAC inside the z906 is doing the conversion and decoding the dts signal.

Therefore I've been wondering, if I use the optical spdif cable to connect the x7 to the speakers it would just encode the signal, frustrating the x7 purpose as the z906 DAC would still be doing all the job, is that right?

If that's the case, would it be more reasonable to just connect x7->z906 with the usual analog jacks? Would this better suit this kind of setup?

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Exactly, you would get better sound using the analog connections :) Try it and see :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    That's what I plan on doing with mine. That's if the damn thing ever becomes available for sale. I've been waiting for this for a few months.

4. jho9001

jho9001 Member

Thank you for clearing my doubts! I'll still give it whirl with both connections for the sake of science.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    You are correct. Hook them up with analog , , personally I cant tell the difference.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i have Z906 and it the best PC speakers i ever heard, with good sounds card they fly.

Analog ONLY, no digital please :D

7. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Can't see you having a real need to get the SB-X7 (Sound Blaster X7).

I would assume a Sound Blaster ZxR would give you as much improvement as a SB-X7.
    And you can find used SB-ZxRs on eBay for around $150.