The "FREE" season pass game offer from Ubisoft comes with a huge price.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Dec 19, 2014.

1. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you accept the game you are waiving ALL rights to sue Ubisoft for PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE TITLES.

They're scumbaggery knows no depths.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-pass-free-game-comes-with-a-legal-catch.aspx

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Suing a developer for releasing a buggy game is ridiculous anyway. You never saw that in the NES, SNES days and they didn't have a way to patch broken games.

Entitled brats

3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    There's a difference between suing for buggy games and releasing broken and misleading games. These games are not final products but are being sold as such. It's false advertising.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't buy your argument. The game has bugs. All games have bugs. Now if you were in the middle of a quest and the game simply ended then I would say its unfinished.

Having a crappy QA team that doesn't catch bugs doesn't mean the game is unfinished and you shouldn't be able to sue for such nonsense. That's like me suing a restaurant because my steak didn't come out the way I wanted it. Instead of sending it back I'm going to sue them.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Their track record should be enough to never purchase another title from them again. Yet people still do. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Well actually you could, what if it wasn't cooked and you got maggots from it?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    UBISOFT has been release the most buggy and NOT READY games to retail markert as finished, why exactly you defend this behavior?

Before the internet AGE game developer would not release game before the where actual done in FEAR of bad published cause they would not be able to fix it short of fix the game and REISSUING the game to everyone that ever bought it. which would cost more to do then finishing the game in first place.

UBISOFT does it cause some many people buy the broke unfinished game. EA is no better just look at BF4 that was buggy mess upon release and there. but Unity was way worse

Then dont get me start on UNITY especial for XBOX one game that probably about 50 gb to begin with digital which pretty much has full redownload just to patch/ fix what should been done before release 40gb patch IS NOT a patch that is game.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can you send a game back to UBISOFT because it's broken?

You can in a restaurant

The question is, would you be happy to sit in that restaurant for months waiting for them to cook it right, sending it back numerous times and finally when they decide to stop re-cooking it, and leave you with an uncooked bad steak, you'd be happy to sit there and eat it ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I agree, suing about games, as we saw in the past, was ridiculous; no wonder they started including these clauses from the lawsuits we've seen, especially in america where lawyers seem dime a dozen. It was individuals looking to make a profit because they saw an opportunity, how can you white knight about suing a games company then take $100,000 for yourself in an out of court settlement.

You find bugs, you work around them, reset, google it, save edit, whatever, if they game is truly broken then it's not worth your time.

People seem to bandwagon hating patches now and put the rose tinted glasses on to lament the good ol days back when games were perfect cause they had one shot, no, not really, bugs still happened, and it was expensive as hell to fix, product recalls of useless carts and CDs, or just gypping early adopters with buggy software, or just abandoning it.

I'm not defending Ubisoft here, they're knowingly releasing buggy games because they're pushing development teams too hard and too fast. They need to slow down releases a bit, yearly releases are bad for everyone involved, maybe do what activision has done and set up multiple teams with a 3 year turnout.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    If a lawsuit is what it takes for this crap to stop then the ends justify the means.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Games are just a bit more complex than when they would fit on a single 1.44MB diskette. So are the systems that they are being played on. Seems quite a few here have forgotten that to play some of the 'advanced' DOS games you'd have to run modified autoexec files, config.sys files, and manually configure IRQ and other settings just to get the game to launch. Then hope it would recognize your joystick or sound card. It is far simpler when you're only coding to a single hardware environment verses literally millions of permutations. If we're talking actual game breaking bugs, that's different. This complaint isn't even identifying specific issues. I'm not defending some of the crappy buggy releases that have come out recently but seriously, suing for FREE content?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That "clause" in their licensing agreement is worthless for people in the US. It's already been ruled that people have a legal and irrevocable right to pursue legal action when deemed necessary. AT&T tried this exact same "trick" several years ago and it was struck down when they tried to use it in court. The fact that Ubisoft goes so far as to list any and all past, present or future relatives is laughable, and unconstitutional for US citizens. This actually looks like Ubi is admitting to intentionally releasing buggy games and wants to attempt to ensure they can do worse over time.

As with most licensing agreements, it's simply to scare people.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It really is a joke. It'll never fly in the EU either, which has some of the best consumer protection laws in the world. Too bad we don't have anything like that here.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Then we just have to sit back and wait for someone to challenge this license agreement in court....lol

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My favorite part was "heirs and next of kin". Ubisoft is living in another world if they think they can use something that you "agreed to" to abscond themselves of liability from different people entirely. What is this, the middle ages? Where if you died in debt, your family had to pay? Utterly hilarious.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The problem with that is consumers think the first thing to do when something isn't to their liking is to sue. The US justice system is filled with these types of stupid complaints way more than they should be.

A more productive lawsuit would be to sue Valve for not allowing refunds most of the time. Origin does with that great game guarantee now and I think Valve should follow suit. But then again, you have people that will abuse that system as well.

Games today (PC games especially) are impossible to test for every bug people may encounter. Not only does it contain a massive amount of code that could be buggy, but there are billions of combinations of different hardware setups. There is no possible way a developer can account for everything.

17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Law > bs contracts, doesn't bother me one bit.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Game contracts/agreements are bigger and more arbitrary than any employment agreement/contract I've ever signed.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is what Amazon has in their logistic stores (in EU) to be signed as part of contract by employees which did not even see what is inside building and how they are going to work.

There, people have average survivability between 1 ~ 3 months. Tells a lot. They simply know there is very good reason to be sued.

My response: "Dear UBI, last title which could have save you is The Division. But with such EULA, I have to presume title will be very bad in the end."

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't their lawyers know that such agreements are void so far as they contravene provisions of governing acts? The fact that barely anyone reads this **** (just ask Kyle) also puts them in a bad light. **** Ubi ... they only ended up getting my money for South Park because of the THQ sale, and even then, thank goodness for Russia ;) . I'm glad I've not paid a dime for their **** since uplay rolled out.