3770K at 4.5GHz and fixed vcore ~1.36, safe ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by mahanddeem, Dec 19, 2014.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    My 3770K is now at 4.5 and manual vcore 1.345v
    All DIGI setting on max and highest settings: LLC,CPU power and resoponse. EIST, Turbo and C states are all auto.

4.6 failed and crashed, so looks like my highest is 4.5 and all failed but fixed voltage.

Now I range from 1.344v idle to 1.367v at full load, temp reaching high 70C in gaming and at load. Stable. It idles sometimes at 1600 when load is zero.

Will that be safe for my CPU ? especially regarding voltage i.e. will it serve me fine till I might upgrade let's say in a year from now at those settings ?

My system is on my profile.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It should be fine. The only thing that won't happen is the voltage won't throttle and will always be at 1.3. Generally to prevent/minimize wear on your processor it's always you always better to use an offset voltage. If you're not sure about it, check out, this and this to get you started. Here is another great guide that might help you out.

3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well i have the same chip as yourself and for me to achieve a clock speed of 4.5 i have to have the voltage set to 1.37 fixed or i get windows event viewer errors and the old crash when idle , over the last year i have tried everything one can think off to be able to run at 4.5 with what i think is a reasonable voltage and temp, with on joy .
    So ive settled 4.4 with 1.28 max voltage using offset setting and this seems to be my max .

I've read on many forums that you should try and keep your voltage under 1.3 volts and 70c max temp as this will help with degradation , but i think that intel have a max voltage for this chip as 1.5 volts ( I think can't remember without looking it up )

PS there is next to no difference in gaming between 4.4 & 4.5 that i've been able to measure , so may just back it off to 4.4 if you can have better temps and a lower Volts

And as for your question is it safe, well that up to you really ,all you can do is look up max voltage and temp

Anyway the chip will throttle when it hits its max or the PC should shut down to save you from damage .

4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thanks to you guys,
    What's your oc esttings pimp_gimp ?

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    These settings work for me and my system, they are not guaranteed to work or be stable with yours! But they may help get you started with using the offset voltage to OC.
    For a 4.5Ghz OC I use the following settings:
    Offset:
    [​IMG]
    The important stuff:
    [​IMG]

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    that does seem a little high voltage wise,im only using 1.28 volts to run at 4.5ghz right now for daily use,have to go to 1.3 volts if i wanna do 4.6ghz

7. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    One thing i noticed is cpu PLL at 1.5 rather than default 1.8 reduced heat slightly and didn't affect stability.
    Pimp gimp you might try that.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Why? I've had that OC for well over 2 years stable w/out PLL (all it does is provide stability at higher clocks and when raising the base clock). I never touch the base clock only Turbo, and even then PLL only helps when you pass 4.6Ghz+.

9. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Lowers cpu temp

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    With or without PLL enabled? As I said before PLL is DISABLED.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Your confusing the two with internal pll overvoltage, its not the same setting as what he is referring to

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Ok. Still I'm not messing with it.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Use offset for low idle voltage.

1.35v 24/7 will lower its lifespan, no doubt.

14. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    What is 24/7 ? I don't sleep on my CPU lol
    Is 3-4 hours gaming(or browsing net and movies) a day considered 24/7 ?

15. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I know every CPU is different but just for curiosity and fun I used exactly like you settings and only used offset +0.020v (Full load vcore is around 1.305v. what's yours ?)

Looks stable after some AIDA64 full stress. Will keep you updated.

Thanks man

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well even that isn't ideal, why use max voltage when browse/watch movies?

Can't you use offset? Shame SB/IB doesnt have adaptive voltage though this would be ideal.

17. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I understand what you mean, even with 4 hours of activity I can preserve more wear and tear from my CPU at reasonable settings. But when "'stability is of the essence" thing makes it a trade off so.

I am playing around my settings a bit to see where can I go, even reverted to stock yesterday, I think I was not so wrong when I always believed buying the most potent cpu at stock is the right thing to do. The same applies to GPU and ram.

18. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    This doesn't pertain to the OP.. However, I've always wondered about this degradation for processors. Example, I've had my I7 920 OC to 3.8 since I got it in 2008. It's a voltage hog! I've run it at 1.41 volts since day one and the thing hasn’t lost a beat. I've personally never had a CPU long enough for it to die on me. I've had mine OC'd and over volt passed the recommended threshold for almost 7 years. In my eyes I wouldn’t worry about it.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Depends on a range of factors, including die size. I'd wager that Sandy/Ivy and beyond are a lot less tolerant of higher voltages over time than Nehalem. Less space between the transistors (and more of them) means it takes less "effort" if you will for electrons to start burning holes and causing degradation.

With that said, although I wouldn't do it, I doubt you'd ever notice any issues if you only use your PC for a few hours a day. Especially if heat is kept in check.

20. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    That makes sense.

True.

By the way IcE. Did you ever use your tag IcE in BF2 or PR back in the day?