Driver won't update, says .inf not found during installation

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Kang the Mad, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    I'm at my wit's end guys. I've tried installing new drivers literally dozens of times. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried every freakin different type, and it always ends up doing the exact same thing. I have a radeon 6970. Downloaded driver autodetect, tried doing it manually. EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. It get's all the way to the end and say "Driver Install: The INF file was not found." I don't know what to do. I've watched youtube videos, gone to AMD's site, everything I possibly can, nothing accounts for this. No action I've been able to do has done ANYTHING. I'm so sick of this. I'm sick of every game I try to launch telling me my drivers aren't updated. I just uninstalled my drivers, and now I can't play some games, but now I can't reinstall any other ones. I'm so pissed. I know this isn't about video games, but I didn't know where else to post it because it's about my gaming pc. If anyone can shed some light on the situation, please do. I'd be so thankful. I've ran sfc and it said nothing was wrong, then I did chckdsk and when I rebooted it didn't say anything about it, so I'm assuming nothing was wrong. My brother built my computer and I really don't know much about it, I just want to update my driver so I can play video games. Please help guys. I am starting to think that I'm going to have to reinstall windows 7, and I don't wanna do that because I'll lost all my data, and lotsa other stuff like microsoft word which I've already used for other family members, so I would have to pay to get it again, as well as all the progress in my video games.... I'm a total neophyte when it comes to this kinda stuff, so please be easy on me and I'll and comply with any questions you may have, but you might have to explain to me how to do things.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    Which one do I download? I have Windows 7 64 bit. I dunno whether to use this the one that says "windows 7 and 8.1 32 and 64 bit (release candidate)"
    or to use the one that says
    "Windows 7 64 bit (whql desktop driver)"

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    Okay, so I just did the safeboot uninstall thingy, and now I used the download link and am running the installation. I will report back and let you know if it worked. If not we can go from there.

6. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    See, it did the same thing "Driver Install: The INF file was not found" I'm really thinking that my ONLY option is going to be to completely reinstall windows. Unless, is there like the INF file itself I can download from AMD? Cuz that means it has the driver itself, but it's missing that one file, right? So if I can download it that should work right?

EDIT: Oh and get this, when I try and manually install the driver, this is what it says, "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.
    Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
    AMD Radeon 6900 Series
    There is no driver selected for the device set or element."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Manually install it from device manager, point it to C:\AMD > > > > > .inf

Or yea, backup and reinstall

Or partition > install dualboot > test if drivers install

If not, could be a faulty GPU

8. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    Oh and get this too, sorry for posting a lot guys, I'm just trying to relay as much information as possible. Now that I've run that software to delete the old driver, now games won't launch at all, whereas before they did, but would just tell me my drivers were out of date. So now I'm gonna have to do a system restore. Which I'm going to do now, because if I HAVE to reinstall windows, I'm going to wait until I get some CDs or another hardrive or something so that I can save all the files I want, but until then, I'd like to still be able to play my games, because it allows me to do so on the old driver, but not the completely deleted driver.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try putting your GPU in another PCIE slot too / Reseat it

10. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    I looked up duel boot, what would be the benefit of reinstalling with 2 operating systems? As opposed to just redoing it entirely? Does that make it so I can transfer my files from the old to the new? Or do I still need to backup on a disk or whatever else?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just as a test, no point wiping your current install if its the GPU at fault - by dual booting you have a 100% fresh install to test with, once you're done testing, remove it and either keep your current install or wipe and reinstall

If you wipe now before testing, and it turns out to be a faulty GPU, you wiped for nothing

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    open device manager, manually update graphics driver from a file on the computer (C:\amd\support\12.1\packages\drivers\display\(###*_INF)).

Instead of 12.1 your folder may have a different driver number but it should work.

13. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    Okay, I'm going to try to reseat the card first, before trying anything else. Do you guys have any guides on how to do that properly?

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It's pretty simple. With the machine off and unplugged, just loosen or remove the screw on the bracket and then wiggle the card around and make sure it's firmly seated. Tighten the screw again and give it a whirl.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have you deleted any Windows Repository files? that error usually occurs when either the repository files are missing after a bad tweak or if the installer doesn't have access to them.

Try running the installer as Admin.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

16. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    I have no idea and if I did I don't know if there's any way to fix it...

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could probably have had this fixed by now if you'd reinstalled / dualbooted ;)

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Op can u try something.
    Grab the GPU drivers from windows update and install those.. Then reboot and install the latest set as admin over the top of the old ones. Be sure to disable any antivirus.

I have a feeling someone has been messing with your security settings. If not then your folder permissions have been corrupted somehow.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Kang the Mad

Kang the Mad Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6970
    Ya I decided to say "you know what word" it and am doing it now. Installing the driver now, fingers crossed. Also, I have another question, am I still able to play my games on this new version? Just launch 'em like I did before? And also, I reinstalled avast, and I paid for the upgraded version, and I reinstalled and it says to enter my security code, but I don't remember it. I still had like 6 months of the paid protection. Am I just outta luck?

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Most things installed on the old windows install, if you dualbooted, will need reinstalling on the new one, you might get some to run, but most will be missing reg entries and permissions etc

If you bought Avast, you should still have the email / code in your account