Ananadtech Acquired by Tom's Hardware Owners...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BLEH!, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. Anand himself had left the site? Meh. Don't care. That would be like Guru3d without HH.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So now we have Toms 2.0

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How do you pronounce that site name?

Ah-nand-tech ?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aa-nand sounds close.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Aah-Bisto

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Well crap. Anandtech was one of my favourite sites. Admittedly losing Anand was a severe blow but it still had a good community around it and seemed to be holding to the level of detail he set.

EDIT: Yes, I know the news is simply a take-over, not that it's suddenly vanished from the Internet. But I would see consolidation as a logical next step for TH.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Surprised to see this move, it's always Anand vs Tom's hardware at a certain level.

Not sure on the long term this is a good move for the Anand team as the Tom's hardware culture and reader-base is just so different. Then again if the site can't properly function without the ex-owner around it probably was choosing the best alternative from the less worse options available.

But well, time will tell.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I liked Anandtech....I don't like Tom's Hardware too much...

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I found AT's review's a lot more thorough and easy to read than TH's, though the quality has definitely gone downhill since Anand stopped working so much/left. G3D's reviews are probably the most thorough on the net in my mind, and Hilbert's quirky writing style is win-win. :D

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    After Guru 3D, Anandtech´s reviews are some of the best because they look at the technical aspect in more detail than most sites and they also provide reviews about mobile hardware that others don´t do so well, so i don´t like the fact they were just acquired by others.

Also i don´t believe that this happened because Anand left. He was the creater and owner of the site but they have lots of people working for them. Not to mention that Anand´s reviews of Apple were extremely biased for reasons that become quite clear after he left his own company to join Apple...

The problem, as always, is money. It´s extremely hard to make money of free sites that rely only on advertising, so more and more sites are being bought to stay open. And the few remaining independent hardware sites are also struggling because they are so small that they depend on the good will of they staff to do all the work at the expense of their own lifes. Just recently the owner of Hardware Canucks had to "close" his own site to take some vacations because he was burnout from work...

I just hope Guru 3D doesn´t suffer the same fate as Anandtech and other sites...
    Please Hilbert, promise me you will never leave us at the mercy of crappy hardware sites!...

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I guess my problem I've always had with Toms hardware is it always felt very biased to me....

13. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    So... Probably less or no overlapping reviews I would guess as a cost savings measure. This could mean one less source with which to compare results and opinions from the reviewers. If this happens this would be unfortunate.

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Anandtech was my second choice to read about new tech, after Guru3d. The step down in quality from them to Tom's Hardware is enormous in my opinion. :(

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    THG has a lot of issues. The bias of the copy/paste staff is just one.... They tend to twist articles on certain topics to fit their bias, often leading to completely inaccurate and baseless articles. Their mods are also quite self-serving.... They previously banned me for having a differing opinion and have threatened to ban be several times over the last few years for that same "offense" again....as well as pointing out where their "facts" were completely made-up.

16. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    The two most mainstream sites become one essentially, competition eating competition. Same old things happening.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Toms Hardware has been a horrible site for years, RIP Ananadtech.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No they havent. Each will have to maintain themselves as a separate entity to maximize their profits. If they devolved into one it would limit their ad revenue by being 'one place' for advertisers than two.

Anyway, hope it works out for them with Anand no longer there. He's still young. He established the site in 97 when he was 14 years old. Guru3d and Anandtech forums are the only two tech forums I visit regularly.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk I've been reading anandtech for years and never felt his reviews were biased. Brian Klug also works for Apple and did most of the phone reviews, and while they all painted the iPhone positively they also called out a lot of negative aspects about the phone. He always seemed fair to me and by far the most interesting reviewer -- as he always dove into the technical decisions behind some features and did a lot research by talking with the various companies. I mean you can hate Apple all you want, their phones do a lot of things right, far better than what Android phones have offered for pretty big portion of time. Those details were things that Brian/Anand welcomed -- but at the same time they also criticized things that Apple were slow to adopt.

I really miss Brian and Anand.

That being said I think Ryan is a pretty capable guy too. I'm sure he'll keep the site on target and not let it diminish completely into Toms Hardware territory.

20. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Likewise, I never picked up a bias. They gave very fair and quite positive reviews of Windows 8, the Surface and Windows Phone.