PSU high fan speed when upgrading graphics card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Racer11, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I recently swapped my GTX 650 Ti for R9 270. Since I have done that the psu fan goes to 100% when playing a game (it is a 650W). What is the problem? :D

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The r9 270 uses a little bit more juice so the psu might work a little harder but that wouldn't cause the psu to heat up that much and rev up the fan.

Are you sure its the PSU's fan?

3. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I am pretty sure its the psu fan, since the cpu and gpu fan are running at a low speed according to monitoring software. It migh be the case fan though but I highly doubt that since there is no reason for it to suddenly increase speed. I was using two molex connectors for the old nvidia card, now I am using the 6-pin pci-e connector, so this might be the cause for psu overheating.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Give me the exact specs of your power supply. If you don't know, link me to where you bought it from.

5. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's a $32 PSU that claims to have 4*18 amp rails.

7. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    So this means the psu is causing the trouble?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Looks like a crap unit honestly.... Their spec sheet only provides half of the data necessary to determine whether the unit is "fit for purpose".... The only reason to leave out the missing data, is if they know the unit is incapable of meeting the ATX2.2 spec (which is common of cheap PSUs...)

9. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Thanks for all the help. So upgrading the psu should solve the problem?

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would not use that psu in any rig.

11. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Please swap that PSU out for a reputable model ASAP. Running a semi-decent system with a poor PSU is like leaving a person with a problematic heart. It only causes issues in the long term, and can potentially cause damage to many many other components.

You should only ever use cheap PSUs when on an absolute budget/with very very low power usage systems, they are simply not worth the long term issues, damage and stability issues they can cause.
    It's why so many technically minded people bang the always buy a decent PSU drum!

I suspect the reason the fan has sped up is because the PSU is actually reaching towards the peak of what it can reliably output for a sustained period, so I would take this as an early warning!

12. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  13. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Cooler master are usually half way decent, but they do vary. See if Johnny Guru has done a review of that model and go from there.

You are usually pretty safe with Antec, Seasonic, Bequiet, Super flower, most other brands I'd say are more hit and miss because it depends on who (which OEM) builds the units and how much down costing has been done, as well as age of the design, as opposed to some of these whom ARE the OEM.

Have a read through of this thread and look at the PSUs recommended and see if any fall in your price range at a local supplier:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18641888

Cheaping out on the PSU is false economy.

This review on the unit should also give you some decent info noting the section on the internals. In short it's an OK unit, with some flaws:http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/CoolerMaster/G550M/11.html

14. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    What power does the psu im going to buy need to have (I have a 650w so do I need to go for the same wattage or can I buy something around 550w)?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    which country are you in and are you on a tight budget? ideally, link some stores available for you to buy from. We'll take it from there.

16. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I live in Slovenia and there is not much to choose from apart from the cooler master psu I have mentioned above or a few corsair psu's. I can buy it Amazon though and im looking to pay 70€ (approx. 55 pounds) max for it.

17. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    What is your full spec?

I would guess if you're running at stock your system will only use in the region of 250-350W under load. If you are overclocked that will rise, but even so I'd say a good quality 550W should be absolutely fine, with headroom for overclocking and aging; and without pushing a PSU too far, which will help efficiency of the PSU, as well as temps and noise.

18. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I just have a plain Asus mATX motherboard, 2 SSD's, 1 5400 rpm HDD, i5 3570K running at stock speed and the r9 270. So I think my pc is not demanding in terms of power.

19. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    That being the case you'd likely be fine on a good 400-450W PSU, but a 550W would give you more room to upgrade and also to allow overhead for aging, overclocking etc.

Unfortunately there are many PSUs that aren't worth the text written on them. A good one will often last longer too before dying of old age.

Edit: I have just looked to see if there are any good webstores for PC parts in Slovenia and AGT.si came up.
    I've just looked at that site via Google translate, and they seem to have some good brands there - BeQuiet, Seasonic, Antec etc

Should do well with one of those if there isn't a reason you won't use them?

20. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I completely forgot about AGT.si, thanks for reminding me ... After looking at what they offer I decided to go for the BeQuiet 530W.
    However, thank you all for the help! I will give you some feedback once I have the new PSU installed (hopefully the problem will be solved). :D