Review: GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the GALAX GeForce GTX HOF edition. The card is beautiful in design with a snow white theme; it is also the fastest factory clocked product that we have tested to date. Get this, the card is ...

Review: GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Hall Of Fame

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Hoff was a nice touch. Seems like an awesome card :p Nice review as always.

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The Hoff references are awesome :D
    Great review HH, will definitely consider the HOF designs when purchasing a new card.

4. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Best review of a GPU card to date. No doubt it helped with having such easy references to the Hoffmeister but this certainly was a pleasant read.

If EK will release a WC block for this card in the near future, which im sure they will. I shall certainly be grabbing 2 of these babies... I mean Hasslehoff offspring

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Best. Review. Ever. Period. :D

Well, unfortunately those cards seldomly overclock better than normal chips, reminds me of the Inno3D Kepler cards that would boost high from stock, but can't be tweaked much higher than stock. But certainly, that voltage tool looks interesting... I wonder how it works that it will actually put in more voltage than otherwise doable, or did I get that wrong?

6. Makurth

Makurth Member

GPU:
    GALAX - GTX 970 EXOC
    It's just BEAUTIFUL....

Out of my GPU Budget, but beautiful.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Nice sexy card...great review boss

8. gavros777

gavros777 Member

GPU:
    560 gtx
    The HOF edition runs at 200mhz faster than factory and gets only 3 fps more in bioshock, then when you OC it 100mhz more it gets almost 10 fps more.
    I bet if you can OC it 50mhz more it will get 20fps more lol.

In all reviews of factory OC cards i read the factory OC looks pretty lame in terms of fps increase but when you overclock it yourself that's when you get some good difference.

So if i have to OC it myself to get a good fps increase why buy factory OC gpus?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You clearly do not understand that its not about a few MHz. It is the right combo of increasing power limiters & Voltage & Boost MHz & Memory MHz. If you don't know how tweaking works, then just say nothing the next time.

10. gavros777

gavros777 Member

GPU:
    560 gtx
    If i say nothing how am i supposed to learn?

I updated my last post by the way.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'm sure you'll figure it out as the answer already is in my previous post. Next time, try posting in a decent tone.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ugh sorry, I should react better.

So here's the thing, Nvidia places all kinds of limiters on their cards these days. Power limiters, temperature limiters, voltage limiters, load limiters.

Much like a car with a rev limiter, you can push the pedal harder, but it won't drive any faster. A similar thing is happening on Nvidia (and AMD as well) graphics cards these days. On Nvidia cards temperature really is not an issue with the custom cooled products. So increasing the core/boost MHz will only result into limited extra performance as once the GPU hits certain limiters that performance will get molded until the card meets the requirements of the limiters in place.

Next to removing the temperature limiter, the biggest benefit is increasing the power limiter. A normal card can make use of 0 towards 100% of the power limiter. Once it hits 100% the cards limiters will kick in, e.g. lowering voltage and Boost clocks dynamically to meet the maximum power demand and or temperature of the card

So when you can increase that power limiter (normally set at a 100% value) to say 120% you will allow the card to consume much more power. Now the extra MHz come into play as you can 'put down the pedal to the metal' again as you freed up the workable performance threshold the card can make use of.

Combine that with a little extra voltage and extra memory bandwidth and that can result into substantial performance increases. So .. it's not about a few MHz extra, it's about the entire tweak you put into play.

I hope that makes it more clear now.

13. gavros777

gavros777 Member

GPU:
    560 gtx
    Wow thanks for taking the time to school me, i knew you were a good guy :)

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Loving the humility there.
    I would have put it a little simpler by saying you can technically overclock modern GPU's with the Boost function without ever touching the clock speeds by adjusting the power limit and voltage.
    But I liked your example.

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, if you look at how AMD cards overclock you pretty much set a clock and it will overclock to that. With nVidia cards and their "boost" technology you set a clock and then it will add boost, and like Hilbert said earlier you will hit limiters. For example say I was hitting 1481MHz on stock voltage and I max the voltage slider, next boost will use that voltage and boost me to say 1501MHz without adjusting overclocks. Or say I'm hitting 1304MHz at 100% Power Limit, you move the slider to 110% and you get bumped to 1451MHz. (These are examples btw lol). So with boost in play you have voltage, power limit as well as temperature. I was playing Far Cry 3 with +160 core clock, it gave me 1512MHz in game, once I reached above 60C it put me to 1501MHz, so thats another example of temperature in play.

So even if you have the exact same card model or same settings as someone, unless you have the same environment you wont get the exact same results. For example if you're doing a 3DMark benchmark and you were hitting 1554MHz and somewhere along the lines you hit high temps and it lowers to 1537MHz then right then and there you lost a few points as opposed to someone who has consistent 1554MHz boost will get higher points but you both were at the same "afterburner settings".

I personally don't mind boost, but some people (enthusiasts) opt to flash custom BIOS that disables boost and overclocks the old fashion way.

Another odd experience/example is when I had my ol eVGA 770 4GB SC, it was like 94% ASIC? All I did was open up Percision, everything was +0 +0 +0 +0 and it boosted to 1241MHz without touching anything.

[​IMG]

Then I maxed out the slider to 1.212V and it automatically boosted to 1254MHz.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

16. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Guess my Palit 780 SJS will serve me a while longer then, no coil whine and never heard any fan noise, maybe it's never kicked in yet? If I could be arsed I would pop in my other 780 SJS and have SLI.

17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Nice looking card, and its the HOF! Way too expensive for me to convince the warden to let me purchase though. I really need to upgrade this GPU though

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Saturday night 7pm 1985. The HOFFA

19. Vandrell

Vandrell Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    As a KR fan, I approve this review. Too bad Galaxy isn't sold anymore from where I come from. The 'HoF' cards seem be really great 'Turbo Boosters'.

20. Gelid

Gelid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 Gigabyte 786mb
    I really want to watch knight rider again now. Good review