FarCry 4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Nov 28, 2014.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Old thread closed due to size, please continue here.

The original thread can be found here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=386832&page=52

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Thanks morbias. :)

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Alright something stinks about this game, namely the saves/checkpoints. After you've crafted some items, acquired new weapons, skinned some animals, if you accidentally die or exit the game you lose it all? WTF! OK, must fast travel to safe house (and abandon any missions in progress) to save your stuff. The single-most worst thing that annoys me in any game is tedium. And poor save systems contribute to that. Usually I see a lot of tedious moments in open world games especially, sometimes I preferred good scripted games instead. I mean exploring is great, but after putting in a few hours you may begin to feel burned out. Cannot play this game in long sessions, 45min-1hr need to rest.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Ok so anyone has these massive stutterings all over the place ? !

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Everyone, including GTX980+ users.

6. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    PC games these days are an absolute lottery as to how they are going to run. The only game which has run perfectly for me and not made me clench my trotters with RAGE has been Wolfenstein The New Order.

All the other AAA titles have either let me down because they are:

1. Dumbed down shadows of their former selves with lasers and jumping about (Advanced Warfare)
    2. Buggy sh*tfests which alienated an entire generation of devoted fans due to programming incompetence (BF4)
    3. Supposed Tour De Force additions to long standing series which the developer had to apologise for and grovellingly shower gifts onto fans in order to avoid a lynching (AC: Unity)
    4. Sequels to an outstanding and venerable franchise which managed not to build upon the successes of its predecessor but to completely obliterate it and introduce as many flaws as possible including game breaking stutter and a mouse control that induced absolute rage and resentment amongst those who didn't sit on the sofa and fart into the cushions whilst casually mashing a plastic controller and eating cheesy whotsists from 10 metres away from their 50" LCD TV (Far Cry 4)
    5. Brand new and much anticipated new titles which made potential purchasers gape in awe and wonderment at game presentation shows but, when released, looked nothing like it and had all the loveliness sucked out by some evil troll and was left like an empty shell akin to a burnt out church on an abandoned radioactive island in a molten sea. (Watchdogs)

Will Far Cry 4 be fixed?
    Who knows. I'm massively disappointed.

7. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Ok, AC Unity has big problems, but seems to be wanted to be fixed by ubisoft, seems future patches will fix fps issues, or i hope. drivers are not mature.

But what about FC4 ? This game has the worst stutters i've seen. Its unplayable. Played about 2 hours and thats it.

dragon age inquisition runs ok. Unity is being fixed, but FC4 is total mess.

8. Thelmet

Thelmet Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    yeah i was hoping for a patch for this but it looks like that's not going to happen.

9. Nuk1e

Nuk1e Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980Ti Strix
    the 1.4 patch did improve the gameplay atleast you can turn mipmaps back on , but the cutscenes are still choppy for me and I have no idea why ... guess after 25 more patches it will finally be fixed but by that time we already finished it

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have to laugh at the claim Rage and Wolfenstein were issue free, those two games have been some of the worst when it comes to pages and pages of consumers bitching about technical problems.

The best games in my experience of the last 5-6 years were the old Capcom games like RE5 and DMC4, no performance issues and I don't think they were ever patched either.

How was FC2 on release, was a year or so after release before I bought it.

11. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Obviously You're forgetting problem free game that was GTA IV. :p

Was good I think, definitely better than 4, that's for sure.

12. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Aye, Rage had issue. For me as well..
    Speed reading can be a blessing and a curse.
    Wolfenstein certainly ran perfectly for me though - just a personal reflection more than a global assertion.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    HaHa, yep it was speed reading, and yeah it is a blessing and a curse.
    On my defense i'm on a phone, and the fact the word rage was upper case.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ok after some tweaking I have the game running very smoothly at Ultra 1080p HBAO+ 45fps capped using RTSS (lowest recorded I have seen).

Only things that needs fixing now are:

- Severe stutter when strafing and turning with mouse, nothing I have tested fixes it not vsync, not triple buffering, no uncapping or capping fps

- Volumetric Fog causes slight flashes in lighting mainly in doors (ie when under a shadow for instance standing under a tree)

- Proper mouse input lag fix the one listed on the last page of the previous thread worked a treat for me and I can now play with mouse and keyboard

- Drops of atleast 10fps during day to night transitions. I stood still in the middle of the map when it was changing from day to night and the fps tanked from my locked 45fps to 40fps. I then ran around during another period of this transition and it dropped another 5fps to 35fps. This shouldn't happen.

I know 45fps is not perfect, but for me its more than playable. Driving fast does not stutter/skip/jerk in performance nowhere near as much as it did before.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have point out that the only issues with Wolf and Rage were texture pop ins and perhaps input lag, any issues with stuttering where down to settings being set to high (aka lack of vram). But FC4 is on a whole different level, the stuttering is like being repeatedly slapped in the forehead when you start moving.

+1 for those capcom games. When ever I reinstall DMC4 or Res5 I stall cant believe that I dont need to speed 15 to 30 mins installing and tweaking to get a decent experience. Shame those days are gone.

As for FC2 on release. I pre-ordered it and had the retail version, i only had dialup at the time and didnt really think to look for patch as the game ran perfectly on dx10 with a mix of high and Ultra. The only issues i had with were caused by that ****ty gpu - GTX280, the thing got to 90c after 5 mins of any game. I remember sticking a paper towel on the back plate then one of those ice bags you use for swelling, on top. The thing was melted in about 2 or so mins.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    No demo of games and buggy releases plus no returns of a trash game and paid off reviews. No wonder people love torrent sites! As for me the days of me spending hard earned money on trash are over and have been for years.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Question...
    If a game is "trash"... why torrent it in the first place?
    It's perfectly understandable to decide to not spend money on things that don't interest you. But that in no way validates stealing the product.

If you have doubts, don't buy it. Play something else, nobody is forcing anyone to play every game that comes out.

18. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Ahhhh....I was wondering what was going on. I was in a cave and when the flashlight came on, it looked pretty bugged when looking in certain directions.

19. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    FC4 in its current state is running completely stutter free with 1.4 patch and 344.75 drivers - default ultra settings, only one xml tweak needed (GPUMaxBufferedFrames). Default mouse settings suck but easily fixed with mouse set to 6400 dpi. IMO it looks better and runs as well as FC3 with the above mentioned settings. I'm actually impressed with how well it runs after such a short time after release.

In ten days its gone from a complete fu<k up to one of the best running games I've played in recent times. Unfortunately this isn't the case for everyone but I should mention that it can and does run perfectly fine... just needs official mouse fix for me and I'll be set.

As always, I'm looking forward to performance updates in drivers and patches but a little hesitant of a "fix" that's going to alter how well its working. Currently I'm locked at 60 fps 98% of the time, rare times hitting 58 fps but only at 99% gpu usage which is to be expected. This can be over come with a higher overclock but it happens so rarely it isn't worth the extra voltage/heat and not worth lowering any settings from the ultra preset.

Off to grab my bow and stealth some baddies... ;)

20. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I'm noticing little to no stuttering at all. Biggest gripe was with some PostFX settings (DOF on weapons) and was thusly falsed in the config. Plus the yellow haze from Godrays is kind of overbearing.