new PC build with 650watt PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Technology, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    I hope this is the right spot for this post

I want to say I like guru3d very much I enjoy coming here a lot and I enjoy the discussions on any and all AMD ATI GPU drivers/updates and so on like I said I really do enjoy it here.

If this is the right spot I want to ask the question if the RM650 corsair PSU will be enough for the PC I'm going to build.
    I have done a lot of research and looked over all the tech docs and with the RM650 sending 54amps on the 12V+ worries me in such I'm unsure if it will be enough like as the RM750 can do over 60amps on the 12V+.
    I would have no doubt got an RM750 knowing what I know now and that is the video card I'm getting has a requirement stating that a 750watt PSU is required.
    As I'm saying this my order is shipped so I can not make no changes to it.

Can anyone please advise me or any assistance or any opinions I would really like to have.

Does anyone know or can anyone tell me more on my build on if I can use the RM650 I have ordered or should I send it back get a refund and get a RM750?

Regardless in due time I will opt to get a RM750 or higher or higher tier PSU by corsair 750watt or higher.

I'm kinda stressed and worried about how I noticed the 750watt requirement PSU from the video card maker/supplier too late only after my order has shipped.

With everything that I know and admitting to all of you I feel so dumb for me not to at lease get the RM750 as it's only 10 dollars more so yea I feel dumb and I was not trying to save 10 dollars but I was just thinking 650 was all I needed maybe some of you may know what I kinda got myself into.

I'll list the items in my PC build and maybe someone can tell me if it's alright to use the RM650 and just replace it at a later date or should I go on what the video card says and use a 750watt right away only after I send the RM650 back for a refund so then I can a RM750....

FX 4350 - I wanted high MHZ "4.2" no plan to overclock right away and hope 4 cores will be plenty.

gigabyte "GA-970A-UD3P" - I favor gigabyte and hope this motherboard is all I need.

Samsung EVO SSD 840 120GB - like gigabyte I favor Samsung

Crucial "Ballistix" 1.5V 1866 DDR3 2x8 16GB - like I stated above with Samsung and gigabyte I also favor crucial and I would like to O/C this memory to 2000Mhz

SAPPHIRE 100363-4L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card Tri-X OC version (I got this as a combo with the motherboard)

RM650 (PSU)

video card was a combo deal with the motherboard. I want to say that I really wanted that particular motherboard and when I saw the combo with that video card I easily submitted and got the combo as it's the motherboard that I wanted and assuming the video card would suit me well.

I know this post is not too long and I'm really looking forward to building this PC if anyone wants to know what case I'm using just ask.

I'm not planning to do any water cooling.

Can I just keep the RM650? Will it work fine? or will it even work at all?

All I plan to do with this PC is play FFXIV watch twitch install steam play more games when I'm not playing FFXIV and I would like to play any and every game possible if some of you know what I mean.

So my work load with this PC would be playing FFXIV while also watching flash video from twitch like alt-tabbing any other load I would put this PC in would be from just more gaming and having a lot of tabs open on a browser window with flash videos playing like youtube and twitch and have web sites open like guru3d and others and installing new AMD drivers and trying beta ones maybe some of you know what I mean.

like I said the requirement from sapphire for that video card is showing a 750watt PSU
    Will the RM650 work just fine for me? or should I send it back and get a refund to buy a RM750?

I didn't look much into getting a CPU with more cores because I was mainly interested in having the most MHZ possible for each core without O/C and also without having to go the water cooled route with the high end 8 core AMD CPU that's like 4.7MHZ to 5.0MHZ and I also was trying to save money so I figured the FX 4350 would be best for me. Does anyone else think so? With what I'm going to be doing with this PC?

I plan to expand with another SSD in the future.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    The 650 will be fine I don't know where you read you would need a 750.While overhead is always nice to have it isn't required to run what you have listed.Here is another thread about the 280x power reqs.I see it is the manufacturer that posted that but it's nonsense.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=382534

3. hussein19891

hussein19891 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 870m
  4. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    6300 frequency 3.5/4.1 6mb L2
    4350 frequency 4.2/4.3 4mb L2

I'll gain two cores with the 6300
    It's just that I would like the highest possible MHZ without any overclock
    to add to my factor the 4350 should never go below 4.2 MHz I'm assuming

5. hussein19891

hussein19891 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 870m
    All CPUs down clock and shut multipliers off when not in use. It adds to the processor life span, helps reduce heat, and allows for those turbo clocks when required.

Unless you specify otherwise in the power saving options within Windows Control Panel

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    yep my 4770k overclocked to 4.5GHz will downclock each core if not being used much to 800MHz (it will drop every core to 800MHz when idle) to save power. It will also drop the vcore as well from my 1.24v for a stable 4.5GHz to around 0.744v I think it is.

This using the Balanced profile in Windows 8.1, I have power options pinned to start menu for easy access and I just switch over to high performance profile when running demanding games. Some easier to run games I just leave Balanced profile on as it does the job nicely.

The the OP

I would go with the FX6300 over the 4350. 2 extra cores, same tdp, 6mb l2 cache vs 4mb

Yea sure the MHz is different but games and applications are becoming more heavily multithreaded so no matter how much MHz you have if your maxing out ALL your cores your performance will suffer in newer games and upcoming games.

7. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    I was thinking many games didn't use more than 4 cores

8. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    I was just thinking 4.2MHZ without turbo was kinda nice and all
    At the moment I'm reading reviews online at amazon and right away I see this being compared to the 6300 the person said being that the 6300 was cheaper and all but he still opt to get the 4350 saying he wanted speed vs more cores/threads.
    from what i'm reading this person and a lot of other is giving this processor a lot a praise saying going for more speed vs more cores is the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its basically 2 core module with 4 threads.. Compared to fx6300 it will lag behind in more demanding newer games yr2010+

What about faster "cheap" intel route, locked 4core Haswell @ z97 chipset with extra upgrade possibility to i7 Broadwell sometime in the future..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116942&cm_re=haswell-_-19-116-942-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128707&cm_re=z97-_-13-128-707-_-Product

320$ or 300$ with rebate card

ps that 650W will be enough for FX6300 too..

10. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    Well then, so in the fx processor line

4350/ 2 cores
    6350/ 3 cores
    8350/ 4 cores

I was feeling pretty good about this build but not so much now.

Still though I have seen and read reviews that are 2014 recent like someone in OCT and someone in JAN and that to me is recent so to say. They have all give the 4350 very high praise.

I still would like to use the 4350 and see what it can do...
    I would maybe like to upgrade to 6350 or an 8350 or like I'm being advised get the 6300 and save money too.

I also would like to add and say I'm leaning towards a cheaper AMD route with things like listed above. No matter what processor I use (I do not care to go under a fx-4350).

This is my 1st real computer build ever.

I have always been a tech savvy person, and I wouldn't mind starting on building another PC right after I finish this one.

I'm just feeling unsure now on things, will my CPU be enough? Will my motherboard be what I want? Will my memory (ballistix sport xt) be enough? I have now learned of the Ballistix Elite from crucial.
    The GPU will it even be enough?

I play FFXIV so I'll know either way, all I really wanted to begin with is somewhat a very quite computer with a lot of power. When I play FFXIV on my laptop it just starts screaming with the high pitch fans and all.

I guess you could say I would like to build a PC with an i7 with DDR4 memory but I'm trying to save money to maybe build another PC or so I can at lease get a ducky keyboard or something later on.

With so many graphics cards on the market along with CPU's and all I wanted to do is quickly select a MB from gigabyte that I could O/C on and maybe be worthy of a CPU upgrade in near future along with GPU upgrade and memory.

For the most part I hope to have accomplished most of what I just listed.
    I look a lot into twitch now a days and it's bothers me a great deal to see people stream on twitch with all this great FPS, all this great equipment, and really just having all this great FPS and all with most of who I watch and see.

I want great FPS too

I'm looking into this a lot so I want to welcome any and all opinions on this situation with myself and a future gaming PC while also learning everything that I can that goes into building a great PC. Intel or AMD/nvidia or ATI I'm open ears and like I said I'm looking for great FPS at a great price.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ You should really listen to the advice of the people in this thread. The FX 4xxx line is not the way to go. The power of the Vishera processors is in the cores, so get at least the 6300/6350. If you want the higher base clock out of the box, the 6350 is a no brainer. Hurry and find a deal on it, it's Cyber Monday ;)

12. hussein19891

hussein19891 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 870m
    Technology, the fx 4300 chips are not true quad cores. If you review some of the older benchmarks the Phenom II quad cores actually outperformed "quad core" bull dozer cpus.

The fx 6300 chips are decent due to 95 tdp, plenty of overclock head room, and the ability to handle extra threads. Why would you pay extra for a cpu which handles 67% of the work load the fx 6300 is capable of, maintains the same tdp with decreased performance, and shares similar over clock head room with the fx 6300?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  13. Technology

Technology Guest

GPU:
    8770m 1gb
    While I was waiting so long for the FX-4350 to be shipped and sense it seemed to me being a rather large delay in all. I ordered a FX-6350, 212 evo, and artic silver 5. Then the next day the FX-4350 shipped. So I now have 2 CPU's on the way to me. I may not keep the FX-4350 sense it is rather expensive given that I got FX-6350 with a 212 evo, and artic silver 5 for 10 dollars more than what I paid for the FX-4350.

I was thinking about building a 2nd PC and just keeping the FX-4350.

As it is I'm somewhat happy and somewhat bothered.

I'm happy to just be finally able to gather and receive and hopefully complete and finish a build or this build.
    I never have ever built a PC for myself but I have done so for someone else.

I'm bothered because from what I have learned is that I could have used 1 graphics card on the 990FX chipset.
    I was thinking you need two graphics cards in order for the 990FX chipset to operate or even function right. AMD has the 990FX chipset listed as supporting 2, 3, or 4 graphics cards. I didn't' see anything about it also supporting 1 so when I decided to go through with this build I right away selected the 970 chipset for the one I would get sense I only wanted to use 1 video card to begin with.
    That being said and knowing what I know now, I would have tried to get a 990FX motherboard.
    Something else I'm very bothered about is that I could have got a FX-8350 for 149.99, I should have got it when I saw it for that price and then I especially would be sending the fx-4350 back for a refund. Which I may do so anyway.
    Me not acting on such things bothers me and then I fell like I'll regret it more than what I already do.
    CPU support for the 970 ud3p that I have goes up to the FX-8370, ...
    I would rather have the 990FX chipset sense it can support the FX-9590.
    This will be my one and only PC that I would like to do anything on and play any game I want. I also got the kind of case to equip water cooling.
    I believe I'll have the FX-4350 before the 6350, so I have a good feeling that I'll more than likely will use the 4350 and keep it and when I get the 6350 with the 212 evo and artic silver 5 I'll quickly swap that in and properly clean and store the FX-4350 and have it put away until I'll build another PC and maybe then I'll use it again.
    To answer the question why I got the FX-4350 anyway to begin with is that I really was not thinking correctly and I was thinking I was saving money by going with the 4350 and I figured why not sense I would have 4 cores at the Ghz/Mhz of a 9590 with proper overclock. What I was not thinking about what is that while I may have 4 cores to run a game and I guess I know a game like far cry 4 and dragon age inquisition would like to have 8 cores no matter what. I wasn't really thinking about how I needed more than 4 cores to run apps like internet explore, apps for my keyboard and mouse that I will be hopefully getting and simply multitasking by having a game on one display and having IE and what ever else on another display and maybe even extending it out to 3 displays sense I do have 4 that I can use but only two are 24" and the other two are like 22"or 20" or 19" or 21". Thing is one of my 24" ultra sharps has a dead pixel (which will go away when it warms up) and now my other 24" ultra sharp looks as if something was spilled on it towards the right of the screen. You can only see this defect like if the background is white and towards the right edge it show a wave effect from top to bottom. Yea my other ultra sharp is a 20" because it's a 2004wfp and when I last used it I noticed a pink tint effect on the whole display that would favor something of red. So that leaves me with a 19" I believe that has nothing wrong with it but it's not a ultra sharp. So from the looks of things I'll be in the market for displays soon and I'm thinking of something like a 27" or a 30" and multitask by playing games in window mode or something or whatever I know I can alt tab and stuff. I also feel like just being in the market for more 24" displays. I'll need to see if I can have 3 24" displays on my desk which I'm sure I can so I may just try and get 3 24" displays. I doubt If I'll get any ultra sharps sense they may be more expensive than the rest on the market.