Advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Danwillysxi, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    I'm planning on buying my very 1st sound card :banana:

I've done some basic reading up but finding it very easy to get lost in all the terminologies and what is better VS what etc and more importantly what is best suited for me. I will be using for gaming 90% of the time.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet... I have this Genius set up currently Genius SW-G2.1 1250 Gaming Speaker 2.1Ch (link: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/genius-sw-g21-1250-21-4-piece-gaming-speaker-system-38w-rms). I don't really plan on upgrading this in the near future but I am planning on buying a HyperX Cloud Headset when buying a sound card.

The Creative Sound Blaster Z is the card that's taken my fancy (on sale at UK scan for £59.00).

Just want to know if buying a sound card (this one in particular) is going to be worth it with my current speaker set-up and new headphones.

As I've never bought a sound card before or thinking about it, actually heard the difference it can make compared to without before I really don't know what to expect.

Overall just looking for some advice to guide me in the right direction and answer some of the above. Thanks in advance :)

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The z is a good choice, considered a jack of all trades, because it's very good for games, music and movies... Also, for the price it's very good too.

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    With the ops current mainboard sound and speaker setup I don't think a soundcard will make any difference.

4. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Its a great sound card CL Z.. you cant go wrong..

Its nice to ask.. yet always make sure what you buy you can return. And then always test it yourself. What everyone else likes will never be what you like. Get a good idea but in the end. its up to you. Theres a HUGE diff from 16 44000 then 24 192.. so on.. just play around and test..

5. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Thanks MaxBlade!

On board sound with my mobo is quite good already and my speakers aren't exactly 'high end' so this was my main concern that actually a soundcard won't make a lot of difference...

6. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    The Sound Blaster Z sound card will provide separate connections.
    One amplified headphone jack and one line-output jack (for speakers).
    Also the SB-Z's SBX headphone surround sound seems to be well liked.

Disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you install the sound card.