How is crossfire performing in Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ragnarok88, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Guest

GPU:
    2 - MSI HD7970GHz
    I am planning on buying the game this week, I have a crossfire setup. I have been very disappointed with the lack of crossfire/SLI support by devs in recent games, and so I am a little concerned about getting burned again with crossfire in this game.

Anyone with a CFX setup, how is it performing in DAI? How is GPU scaling? Thanks.

2. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    I've got the same cards as you (give or take a few MHz). Crossfire scaling is around 95% for me in most situations, to the point where I run into CPU scaling issues in Dx11 mode. Mantle is bugged for me, but it might work for you, seems hit or miss.

Either way, the scaling is pretty darn good. There's a bit of terrain flickering here and there, but the latest AMD driver notes state that they're working on that.

3. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Guest

GPU:
    2 - MSI HD7970GHz
    Awesome, thanks for the response. I was worried that this game would follow the horrible trend of not properly supporting dual GPU setups. 95% scaling sounds great.

I'm hearing mantle is giving issues, has that been true for you assuming you've tried it?

4. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    Yeah, I've tried everything I could think of to get mantle to work nicely, but no luck. VRAM usage just increases constantly as I play the game, and there is quite a lot of stuttering. It's a real pity, because BF4 with mantle was really smooth for me. I'm going to wait for the next patch to hit before trying it again.

If you CAN get mantle to work nicely, then crossfire mantle is probably better, I seem to remember it gets rid of the flickering.

5. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Likewise, works good for me. Both GPUs get a workout.

There are CFX specific issues, the flickering in particular. It's usually just one block of terrain but on occasion you'll get it EVERYWHERE. That's where you save, reload and everything is fine again.

6. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Agree 100%. If there is someway of fixing the period CPU spike every 10 seconds then mantle would be the way to go.

7. djsebfr

djsebfr Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 950
    Performing good at 50 fps average, all details maxed @2560*1080 in dx11 mode.

Mantle offer me stuttering and bugs...

8. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Guest

GPU:
    2 - MSI HD7970GHz
    Game is performing like sht for me with crossfire enabled. Getting HORRIBLE hitching and stuttering during cut scenes which makes the game unplayable.

Capping FPS in this game results in extraordinarily long load times, too. Fck this buggy ass game.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have yet to get the game, but mantle for me in BF4 works amazingly performance wise till the memory leak happens. Mantle should be the god send for multi gpu setups.

10. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Like BF4 Mantle Crossfire has more performance than DX11 Crossfire but since DA:I relies much more on streaming assets compared to BF4 there is some stuttering all the time. Unlike BF4, DX11 is smoother but lacks the extra performance.

I ended up using DX11 Crossfire since some maps have heavy moon/sky flickering with Mantle (Crestwood before closing the lake rift, The Fallow Mire). DX11 crossfire has some terrain patch flickering from time to time and some visible texture/geometry seams between some terrain patches.

To make the game smoother I created an user.cfg file in the game folder containing
    GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94

There is some visible tearing with VSync off but I prefer it to the laginess of VSync on.

11. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    This has very particular performance issues in Inquisition. It feels like the game is moving in sand with mantle enabled.

12. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    The FPS have been good but the game crashes when I have crossfire enabled so I turned it off for now. I will say I get a 50 percent increase when its on. 1 core with the game maxed out with 4xAA I get 30 FPS, both cores give me 60 to 70fps.

I couldn't take the hard freezing so I run in single for now.

13. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Running mantle having zero issues, had one crash in 50 plus hours, not stuttering either. Of course I am playing on my 1080p TV and not my 1440p monitor so maybe that's why.

Also ravaged and agonist BF4 no longer has the memory leak, mantle is beyond flawless in BF4 now. Was fixed over a week ago.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  14. Babysasquatch

Babysasquatch Guest

GPU:
    crossfire r9 280x/ hd7970
    Same. I get better frame rates and less studded with crossfire disabled.

15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Well I can definetly confirm my freezing issues is when I enable crossfire. For whatever reason, it works fine, no stuttering really until the game freezes.

Interesting part is, dropping down to SSAO makes the game smoother and run longer less chance of freezing but it still does it, just not as much.

I'll just go back to one core until a patch, driver update, or some other idea comes to mind as I have no issues there, just reduced FPS as expected.

Such a shame because the game runs near flawlessly in either mantle or DX11 until it locks up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

16. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    On a hunch,

I set Tessellation to AMD optimized instead of application controlled, had crossfire on all day and haven't had a crash after a day off from work and a good 8 hours of straight play.

Still get the texture flickering but no hard freezing but a lot less stuttering and no hard freezing, Just thought I'd share if you guys are still fooling around with it.

17. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    Running 2x 7970s on a mix of ultra/high. I'm almost always above 60fps at 1920x1080.

HOWEVER, you need to use the current beta drivers to get it working. You will notice pretty nasty texture flickering in some maps, but they've disclosed that they're aware of that issue.

The Frostbyte engine has some pretty nasty crash bugs that can be worked around by not using Fullscreen, but since Crossfire only works in Fullscreen (not borderless either), we are stuck with dealing with the crashes from time to time. This affects BF4, DA:I, and others using the engine.