i7 920 @ 4ghz to 4790k @ 4ghz?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by jimdove, Nov 22, 2014.

1. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Hi lads. Im getting the right hump with DA:I atm. Could the problem be my CPU? is it worth an upgrade right now? Im not too happy about the DDR4 systems atm, prices/performance not good enough to jump to those just yet.

this 920 d02 has been rock solid @ 4ghz for 5 years on a rampage 2.

I see some nice mobo+4790k deals now and then and surely they will be around in the jan sales as well. Is the upgrade worth it? Id keep my 3 sticks of ram

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I went from a 920 D0 @ 4.2 to a 4770K @ stock speeds and the upgrade was well worth it when comparing the two against each other in CPU heavy applications, but for gaming i'm not sure if you will se any huge gain except for CPU heavy games.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    You will need another stick of the same RAM if you upgrade because Haswell is dual channel, not triple channel. So RAM should be in pairs at least or you will drop the RAM into single channel mode with 3 sticks.

Haswell @ 4 GHZ is well worth it to push your 780ti. You will get more performance out of it.

4. SmOgER

SmOgER Active Member

GPU:
    __
    According to the benchmarks and basic math, the difference between them should be arround 30% and about 23k vs 33k on Cinebench R10.