Win 8.1 with 2 of HD 3870 X2, BSOD installing 13.1 Legacy

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CrYoGeNiC, Nov 21, 2014.

1. CrYoGeNiC

CrYoGeNiC Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI HD 3870x2
    Hello,

I've been scouring every post possible related to my problem but end up empty so hopefully my first post on this forum will turn up some positive results.

I recently acquired a couple of HD 3870 X2's and been having a hell of a time getting the legacy drivers to install on my Asus P5K mobo. I have read that the driver install fails and I've tried to install them manually by selecting the INF from the install folder. Each and every time I try I get a Service Exception BSOD. After lots of reboot and repeated BSODs I was able to get the drivers installed but whenever I tried to enable Crossfire I would get the same BSOD. I decide to try DDU and remove all ATI related drivers and files which led me to even more trouble as the Windows WDDM 1.1 wouldn't install without more BSODs. It was a matter of trying one card at a time until I was finally able to get the stock drivers to work again.

Things I've tried:
    1. Returned to stock CPU speed
    2. Memory tests and registry clean
    3. Disabled all antivirus apps
    4. Tried Legacy 13.1 and 13.4 drivers

Is it possible to get Crossfire working under Windows 8.1? Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i don't think quad fire in this instance works under 8.1 with legacy drivers, have u tried win 7?

3. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Content removed because trolling and insulting other users is tolerated for some people in this forum. I do not stay in places where such behaviour is tolerated and everything I did in such places is removed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. CrYoGeNiC

CrYoGeNiC Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI HD 3870x2
    Thank you both for your answers. I had the feeling I wasn't going to like what I heard. Oh well. I do have another question... Will I benefit from using the legacy 13.1 drivers over the stock WDDM 1.1drivers?

5. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    No...

The last run of drivers for these old cards is of questionable usage, never mind any benefit.

You will encounter issues galore. While they work, they are working much worse than the older stuff. Games will CTD, stutter, etc.

Use something older like 10.3 and it will be snappy, fast, and everything will work (mostly) for your 3K series card.

You can just set it on 10.3 and get playing instead of fiddling. 4870x2 (what I have) and 3870x2 legacy crossfire is way too problematic on newer drivers.

Anything after 10.10 was geared towards 6K series performance increases. There is nothing of benefit for the 4K and 3K series after this point.

10.3's are stable as a rock. At least on 4870x2.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  6. CrYoGeNiC

CrYoGeNiC Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI HD 3870x2
    Thanks for the input kevsamiga1974. I guess I will stick with what I have for now as I do not want to go back to Win 7 to enjoy the remaining benefits of these cards. Guess I have to start saving some pennies for a new system.

7. CrYoGeNiC

CrYoGeNiC Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI HD 3870x2
    Are you saying the 10.3 Catalyst Suite will work with windows 8.1? If so will that mean I can use both of my cards in CF?

8. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Guest

GPU:
    All sorts
    Try installing in compatabilty mode for win7. Otherwise you,ll need to mod the installer and disable driver signing.