Acer Will release 27-Inch 1440p TN Film XB270HU G-sync 144Hz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    What with all the hate against TN? Personally I prefer the 144hz over color accuracy or viewing angle. If IPS can't do any better response time-wise, TN will still be my no.1 choice.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Image Quality.

I'll take IPS or an equivalent any day over TN. And you are speaking to the guy that owns an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q.

4. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    NVM different model

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Im with the first guy on this but ive also been told i have low visual standards

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. Hilbert, you ARE the man. I too would choose image quality over a TN panel any day, well said.

7. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    Yeah, and I use IPS monitor for work 8 hrs./day, but at home I use TN 120hz for gaming. Image quality on both screens look the same to me, but the differences in response time and refresh rate are noticeable.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Depends on many factors. I cannot see that much of a difference between an IPS and a good TN either, but I'm somewhat color-blind, it's called dyschromatopsia actually.

This and the fact that decent IPS panels are quite expensive, while good 144Hz panels are not.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    IPS > TN
    But for games refresh rate matters more than color shifting as you move.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    True. There are several good IPS panels that are close to TN panels with regards to refresh rate but are very expensive...

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Hm, do you think a 300-dollar IPS to be worth it? I mean compared to a 300-dollar 144Hz panel. I wish to acquire another panel to supplement my current regular-ass 3-year-old 1080p TN panel. I had the feeling that it's only worth investing into expensive IPS panels. As in, the cheaper ones aren't that great.

12. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I'm coming from a 5ms TN panel so.. I probably wouldn't notice it.

13. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

meh... i just purchased the ROG Swift, Also gonna have the Dell U2711 IPS monitor connected to the PC.... i'll have the best of both worlds :p

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In my case I can't enjoy gaming if the display image quality is crap. Fastest IPS screens are more than enough for me to not even think about going back to TN. At the moment 75Hz fast IPS is best compromise in my opinion.

That's not true at all. There are many IPS screens with extremely low (or basically none at all) input lag.

15. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Can't wait for that 144hz, 1440p (or 4k), G-sync monitor with AU Optronics AHVA panel...! Not sure about g-sync, but I'm guessing it's doable? I remember seeing that AHVA was now possible at 144hz but don't remember if g-sync was mentioned. Regardless, that needs to happen. :eek:

16. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Well...I've always thought of Acer as junk...but if the price of this makes sense it might be worth a try to give Acer another chance.

The Asus monitor has been a QC disaster and availability is imposisble and pricing is extremely high...so it's nice to see SOMETHING, ANYTHING else show up on the market

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Unfortunately for a fast & high end IPS panel, it will cost a lot.

You will indeed to invest in an expensive high end IPS monitor should you wish to have low input lag and a fast refresh rate.

That said, it is worth investing on a good IPS panel, it'll last you for many years and when you see the image quality and colours, you'll never look back.

Movies and high quality pictures look outstanding too. Contrast, colours and black levels make your eyes bleed. :D

18. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    AMEN!! People often forget that the most objective and obvious image quality boost is contrast ratio. VA panels boasting 3000:1 static just have so much more pop and vibrant picture, and have color accuracy and viewing angles that rival IPS. I have a PVA based Samsung 244t monitor from 2005 that has yet to have its contrast ratio noticeably improved upon outside of newer VA panels. Everything else out there just looks washed out and muddy to me, with grays instead of true blacks. The second a VA panel refreshes fast enough, is affordable, and includes Gsync, I'll jump on that IMMEDIATELY. Well unless OLED finds its way into computer monitors first.

19. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    MEANWHILE ... my overclocked single-input display is 2 years old next month.

:eek:c:

20. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Can't quite follow you there. I got my Swift fairly soon after it became available at all. Low availability hints at high demand.