Advice on a new sound card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FearFactory, Nov 19, 2014.

1. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    So.. my Xonar D1 just died.. for the second time! After 1y i had to send it to RMA, i got the replacement and after 2 more years.. dead again! This time started with BS errors (cmudaxp.sys). I cleaned the drivers using the unixonar tool and DriverSweeper. Tried with different versions from Asus and Unixonar but i always got BS errors and now it's dead, not detected on both W7 and Linux Mint. This way, im not really into Asus sound cards now, looking for something else:

-What's up with Creative cards these days? my SB Live 1024 Player was a great card, and still working on an older machine. I use linux too but it seems there's no much support for linux on this new cards..

-HT Omega? they are hard to find here in Portugal but they have C-Media chips, no problems in Linux

More alternatives..?

2. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Well, most sounds card i see on stock are Asus.. your thoughts about the Xonar Phoebus (Solo)?

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Are there any Asus Xonar ST/STX in stock or a Sound blaster z or omni. if so any of those would be a good choice for you. If you used Dolby headphone then the would be a bad choice as it doesn't have Dolby headphone, instead it has a virtual headphone function that does not work.

Asus Xonar ST/STX both have Dolby headphone like your D1 but have a stronger headphone amp as well op-amps for swapping the sound signature.

The Sound blaster Z and omni both have SBX surround headphone function for Virtual headphones, which also works good too. But both Z and omni hp amp's are weaker then the hp amp that is on the ST/STX, and are dynamic that supply based on the amount of power the headphones needs. But the Omni and the Z should be cheaper if the store your looking at or near you sells it.

I have used a STX ina linux distro as well a omni and both worked.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes, i can find both ST/STX on stock, but i don't want to spend that much on a sound card. Yes, Dolby Headphone it's important for me, it works good on movies but you say that there's now Dolby Headphone on the Phoebus? Only a virtual headphone function that does not work? not even with Unixonar drivers?

My problem with Creative it's the bad support on linux... the Sound blaster Z it's not working on linux, i see many guys complaining about it

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The phoebus uses the Dolby Theater V4 which is a poor option for virtual headphone usage, if your used to dolby headphone or like it,you won't like it DT V4 as it doesn't work that well. I got the phoebus mixed up with another device when i said it had something that didn't work. Unixonar driver's doesn't support the phoebus or the U7 as it uses different chip series.

The sound blaster omni usb works with linux distro's using the linux Usb audio driver's. I tried the omni with unbuntu and it worked without having to do any steps. Of course you wont have the software suite for the omni unless you use windows, or mac os. But it works in linux distro's.

If it has to be Xonar, then Sound blaster Xonar DGX is a good choice which should be cheap also the asus Xonar U3 which should be cheap and both have dolby headphone option.

Another option if you don't need a mic input is to use a cheap usb dac amp like a sabre dac and use Razer surround software which is free for windows.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    hmm ok thanks for the info on the Phoebus. Yes i know, on linux i only want audio. The DGX has less SNR than my D1. I prefer an internal card but i going to read about the Omni.

I don't know much about external DAC's but i will read about it too. BTW, i have it connected to my old Technics HiFi that still sounds good with my mp3's and audio CD's. For movies i use my Siberia headphones.

I had bad luck with my D1 :bang: . Very hard to find HT Omega sound cards on my country, even on Amazon UK or ES! but yeah :) i would appreciate you opinion.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  7. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I was going to say why not Asus Xonar DGX but then reality just hit my face when I googled for prices in USA. I paid a ****ing fortune for DGX here in Brazil and D1 seems better. Dolby Headphone is great, anyway.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  8. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I gave another chance to my D1... removed the CMOS battery again for 1h, i disabled the Serial port, Firewire and the JMicron controller just to see if could minimize a possible IRQ conflict. It worked fine for 2 weeks but it failed again! back to Realtek onboard audio. Thanks for your mini review :) it seems a great upgrade! The problem it's that i really can't find Omega cards on my country! It's all "infected" with Asus and Creative! not even on Amazon UK now. I'm going to search it on UK and Spanish shops.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would seriously consider the SB Z OEM. shouldn't cost more than £60.

10. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    The problem it's the non support on linux